NCL vs CCL why so much cheaper

cards10

Thank you all for your input. I think that we are going to do CCL Liberty. So happy to be going to new ports and back on the Liberty.:D:p:eek:

I assume you're talking about the Aruba, Curacao itinerary? That always is a pricier itinerary but well worth it.

I just discovered Carnival is not that cheap.....we just book Celebrity 5 nights open bar package ( no daily Limits ) gratuities paid for $539....on Carnival it would have cost DW & I another $1000.

Seems strange. Very few 5 day 2 person cruises over $1500 on Carnival unless you're booking a suite.

May I ask which cruise this is?

I suspect they are including the price of the Cheers beverage package in that Carnival price, to make it equivalent to the Celebrity cost which includes the beverage package.

I suspect they are including the price of the Cheers beverage package in that Carnival price, to make it equivalent to the Celebrity cost which includes the beverage package.

Thanks, that seems logical, until the cruise just got cheaper and now with $100 OBC to boot.

I just discovered Carnivals is not that inexpensive......we just booked Celebrity 5 nights open bar gratuities paid & 100 OBC for $439...... the bar tab alone will save DW $700 so that and gratuities will be over 1k compared CCL......and Celebrity has no loud scream tvs on Ledo Deck.....:cool:

I assume you're talking about the Aruba, Curacao itinerary? That always is a pricier itinerary but well worth it.

The Carnival cruise with that itinerary is $500 more per person ($1k per cabin) than the Celebrity cruise (same week) going to 3 new islands, free alcoholic drink package and $200 OBC.

I like NCL too, I like the laid back atmosphere and the specialty restaurants that are priced just right.

I also didn't appreciate the OVER PUSHY sales...

AMEN on this!!! We have cruised a number of times on NCL, and it seemed that with each cruise the upsell pressure got worse. It's possible that it was always bad, but it got harder to ignore with each cruise to the point that I just couldn't bring myself to cruise with them again. In fact, it encouraged us to take a break from cruising for a while altogether. EVERYTHING was an upsell.

Like DLepard, sorry to sound so negative about NCL. If that's the choice, go and have a great time. Also, my apologies to others that can deal with this better than I can. I know there are a lot of NCL fans out there, and at one time I gues I would say we were some of them.

Edited by bankofdad

Can those that posted about pushy sales on NCL explain please?? I sailed NCL a number of times and I have no clue what you're even talking about.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I cruised on NCL in May and don't remember them pushing anything on that particular cruise. It really seemed to be better to me than on CCL or RCI and they are about the same to me, pushing the same things like drinks, bingo, etc.

I haven't sailed the Liberty but i have sailed the Freedom and I think they are sister ships. Nice boat. I have yet to do an NCL in FL carnival almost always comes out cheaper. The enticement of free liquor is nice but I don't drink that much.

Unless you have lots of vacation time, pick the ports you want to go to and enjoy. The excitement of a good deal never lasts longer than the memories of a great vacation.

Edited by Troy McClure
clarity

My response to this used to be,'When in doubt, choose the itinerary with the extra day.'

Now, no....

Unlike others here, I love NCL and have sailed the Dawn 3x. I would go with The Dawn, New Orleans, and the shorter drive, (This cruise is cheaper by only $3 pp/pd) jmo.

How do you come up with the $3 figure? It's $102 more per person for the Liberty, so that comes up to a difference of $12-$15 per person per day (which is still not a whole lot, but 4 or 5 times the $3 figure).

Can those that posted about pushy sales on NCL explain please?? I sailed NCL a number of times and I have no clue what you're even talking about.

Me either.:confused:

I went on the Star to Bermuda and then the Dawn to the Western Caribbean the last 2 years and I don't remember one instance of anybody in my face being pushy trying to sell me something.

Bill

The Epic is pricing out super cheap for me. I'm torn between CCL Liberty and NCL Epic for spring break. Isn't the Epic their newest and greatest?

The Breakaway is the newest and greatest until the Getaway enters the fleet very shortly but from all reports the Epic is a great ship .

Bill

I was on the NCL Breakaway in November and never once did I every hear over the intercom any art sales or bingo games, etc. In fact, they hardly ever came on board with announcements, unless it was important, like the day we missed GSC.

In fact, now that it was brought up, I think there was more announcements and pushy sales on Carnival. I didn't appreciate being handed an "after dinner drink" in the MDR, only to be told that it would cost me $$$, which I then put back on the tray.

How do you come up with the $3 figure? It's $102 more per person for the Liberty, so that comes up to a difference of $12-$15 per person per day (which is still not a whole lot, but 4 or 5 times the $3 figure).

Port Carnaval: 8 day Eastern on Liberty. My favorite ship and have never done these ports before. Inside room plus tips are $635.pp.

this would also be a 16 hour plus car drive.

NOLA- NCL Dawn 7 night Western. Have done these ports several times. Porthole cabin plus tips. $533.pp

$635 divided by 8 days=$79.37 pp/pd

$533 divided by 7 days=$76.14 pp/pd

For a difference of $3.23 per person PER DAY

Edited by halos

$635 divided by 8 days=$79.37 pp/pd

$533 divided by 7 days=$76.14 pp/pd

For a difference of $3.23 per person PER DAY

Ah. I suck at math today. ;) I was taking the total difference in cruise price and dividing by 7 or 8, which came out to like 12-15 dollars.

Ah. I suck at math today. ;) I was taking the total difference in cruise price and dividing by 7 or 8, which came out to like 12-15 dollars.

I suck at math unless it pertains to department store discounts or cost per day of cruising. :D

I onced believed that but once you open your eyes its just not true.......

When it comes to booking a cruise on any line, the thing that dictates cost is not which line, but TIMING.

Timing is everything.

I onced believed that but once you open your eyes its just not true.......

There is a cruise study done every year and on average price across the board Carnival is cheaper. Can you find a cheaper cruise on a different line, absolutely, but on average across the board Carnival is less expensive. Just like every now and then my wife can find a cheaper dress at Neiman Marcus then it was at one of the discount clothing stores, but on average Neiman Marcus is more expensive than the say JC Pennys. Yet she could say I found the same dress cheaper at Neiman Marcus. But that doesn't make Neiman Marcus cheaper on average.

No, but it sure makes us happy! Who doesn't love a deal?! Be creative and make the cruises work for you! Don't settle for less for more! If you can get NM at JCP prices, than YA! Same for cruises! That's what I'm doing. Book off season in the spring, book early, use all available incentives (like 10% off limited voucher), use reward accounts, and get your cruise for half off! Than you can get the designer 'dress' for department store prices! I'm not sure CCL "WANTS" to be the JCP of the Seas...?

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids