NCL vs CCL why so much cheaper

cards10

I am looking to take a cruise in 2015. I have cruised with CCL on 4 cruises and they are my first choice. I cruised 1 time with NCL. was not a fun at all.

THe cruise will be 3 of us.

Port Carnaval: 8 day Eastern on Liberty. My favorite ship and have never done these ports before. Inside room plus tips are $635.pp.

this would also be a 16 hour plus car drive.

NOLA- NCL Dawn 7 night Western. Have done these ports several times. Porthole cabin plus tips. $533.pp

8 hour car ride.

Deposits: NCL 375 total

CCL 900 total (300pp)

I am having a hard time pushing CCl. I really want to do CCl because of the ports.

Help me convince them.

That's strange. Normally, CCL is much cheaper, but there is an extra day involved with the Carnival Liberty. Personally, I really like NCL and freestyle cruising, but Carnival's pricing keeps me coming back to them. Do you mind telling us the ports for both destinations since you said you wanted to go Carnival because of them?

From my experience, Eastern Caribbean is nicer than the Western side and since you've never gone to the Eastern side, it'd be a nice change of scenery. I will say that I prefer NCL's food and ships better, and at $100 cheaper with a porthole, you have to think about what you prefer more, the ship or the itinerary.

That 8 night itinerary on the Liberty is more unique and it's one of Carnival's most popular currently, so it does command a higher price than their average 7 night itineraries. If you compare more similar itineraries from the same port, the difference may be more negligible.

BTW, don't know if they are available for your sailing, but the Liberty has porthole cabins (PT) that are regularly priced at about the same price as insides. You get more square footage (220sq ft vs 185 for the insides) with a sitting area, sofa, and 2 portholes. Check them out.

Edited by Tapi

I am looking to take a cruise in 2015. I have cruised with CCL on 4 cruises and they are my first choice. I cruised 1 time with NCL. was not a fun at all.

Port Carnaval: 8 day Eastern on Liberty. My favorite ship and have never done these ports before. Inside room plus tips are $635.pp.

NOLA- NCL Dawn 7 night Western. Have done these ports several times. Porthole cabin plus tips. $533.pp

8 hour car ride.

CCL 900 total (300pp)

I am having a hard time pushing CCl. I really want to do CCl because of the ports.

Help me convince them.

1 extra day of vacation should be enough convincing :)

Only you and family can decide what the important factors are for your cruise.Some people cruise for the ship and people like us we cruise for the ports. I guess that's what it usually boils down to for us (unless its really cheap than any cruise is game)

A combination of things are here. The ship is a high demand one, especially since it got a massive make over. I doubt if Dawn has all the amenities as Sunshine. Also, the extra day. The 2 ships are basically not equal.

I think someone mentioned Celebrity. I wonder if they are struggling a little. And, the drink package, is it an agency perk?

Not a fan of NCL. I cruised with them once, and NEVER AGAIN. Maybe I just don't like the freestyle and optional up charge dining. Nor did I appreciate the disgruntled staff on NCL (cabin steward, dining staff, buffet staff... I saw some who were downright rude to passengers). The main dining room on NCL essentially had the same menu except for a dish or two (never hot, mediocre at best)... EVERY NIGHT. You pay for room service after a certain time, AND you always pay $5 for pizza when delivered (this didn't affect me as I enjoy the dining room, but it is another way to gauge more money out of you). The best dinner we had was at the Teppanyaki on my son's birthday. I also didn't appreciate the OVER PUSHY sales... I also didn't get my $200 cruise credit which i was assured we would still receive.... even after upgrading to a balcony and adding a passenger AND paying a last minute change penalty (I got a new job... It was either lose 100% or move the cruise).

I have cruised NCL, RCCL, Carnival and HAL. Just got off the Miracle and had the nicest cruise to date (out of 6 total), awesome service, not pushy. I used to think Carnival was the "trailer trash" ship... not any longer. I am also a Veteran, and carnival has some of the best Veteran deals out there.

The extra day, the refitted ship, and the demand sure factor into it... but really... $100 more per person for the cruise to me would be worth it.

Sorry if I sound very negative about NCL.

I just discovered Carnival is not that cheap.....we just book Celebrity 5 nights open bar package ( no daily Limits ) gratuities paid for $539....on Carnival it would have cost DW & I another $1000.

Seems strange. Very few 5 day 2 person cruises over $1500 on Carnival unless you're booking a suite.

May I ask which cruise this is?

The Dream will probably be doing the same itinerary on the same week as the Dawn when they release those schedules, so you'll probably be able to better compare the costs then.

That Liberty Itinerary is nice, and I would drive the extra hours to get there.

I would take the Carnival cruise, the real difference is $3.23 per person each day, you are just paying for one more day on Carnival. I feel the food in the MDR on Carnival is much better than NCL, any savings would be used up in the specialty dining rooms on NCL. The free shushi on Carnival is worth the difference alone.

8 hour car ride.

CCL 900 total (300pp)

Help me convince them.

Don't get me wrong I liked the Dawn but I would go with the Liberty your favorite with the extra day. Not to mention islands you haven't seen yet!!!!

Book early saver and get the price a little cheaper later.;)

I would take the Carnival cruise, the real difference is $3.23 per person each day, you are just paying for one more day on Carnival. I feel the food in the MDR on Carnival is much better than NCL, any savings would be used up in the specialty dining rooms on NCL. The free shushi on Carnival is worth the difference alone.

Where do they have free wishing? I thought they replaced the free wishing with the taste bar.:confused:

Bill

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

A combination of things are here. The ship is a high demand one, especially since it got a massive make over. I doubt if Dawn has all the amenities as Sunshine. Also, the extra day. The 2 ships are basically not equal.

I think someone mentioned Celebrity. I wonder if they are struggling a little. And, the drink package, is it an agency perk?

Nope, it's a Celebrity Perk, Book most any sailing by the end of February and receive:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=choose_your_offer

Receive Classic Beverage Packages for two, including spirits, valued at $88* per day, with beverage gratuities covered by us

or

FREE Gratuities: Receive pre-paid gratuities for two, value of up to $30* per day

or

FREE OBC: Receive $100*

for 3- to 5-night sailings

Receive $200*

for 6- to 9-night sailings

Receive $300*

for 10-night or more sailings

I would do the New Orleans trip.

We used to drive to Orlando quite a bit.

We'd get up really early and head for WDW.

Did it many times.

That drive from Memphis to Orlando really sucks big time.

Going down is sucky, but driving home is worse.

Basically the drive is so tiring.

Driving to New Orleans is not all that bad.

My response to this used to be,'When in doubt, choose the itinerary with the extra day.'

Now, no....

Unlike others here, I love NCL and have sailed the Dawn 3x. I would go with The Dawn, New Orleans, and the shorter drive, (This cruise is cheaper by only $3 pp/pd) jmo.

Edited by halos

I just discovered Carnival is not that cheap.....we just book Celebrity 5 nights open bar package ( no daily Limits ) gratuities paid for $539....on Carnival it would have cost DW & I another $1000.

in most cases CCL is at the lower price. Sure, you find a few that they are higher.