Rhapsody, Voyager or Radiance of the seas

You don't hear someone badmouth the Radiance, or the radiance class very often.

Based on the posters signature he/she must live in the USA ..... and doesn't realise that down here in Australia we only have a choice of 3 RCI ships .... which are varying in class and of course size. No offence to the poster, I wish I lived in Florida and could go on all the different ships that leave from Florida ...

I went on Oasis of the Seas in December and it is an absolutely AWESOME ship, so if you love cruising you have to go on this ship. But I have also been on Rhapsody ... post refurbishment and it's a really nice royal caribbean ship. So as other posters have said it depends on who you want to do, if the OP wants lots to do, I agree go on Voyager, but if they are looking for a laid back / keep to yourself type of experience then Rhapsody will provide that experience.

I'd cross out Radiance and Rhapsody. Rhapsody is old and Radiance is the worst ship class. I don't understand the hype over that ship. It is ugly and the balconies are chopped up and screwy. It offers nothing except outside buffet seats and glass.

Voyager is more like Freedom which is more like Oasis (their best ship). Therefore go with Voyager. It is getting old but it is a better ship and more modern than your alternatives.

I think Rhapsody is beautiful and we love her do as much as you want or as little. There is always something for everyone and a cruise is what you make it. she also had a total refurb in mid 2012.

We have been on a short Radiance cruise... was a sampler so the timing may have been why she was a complete party boat.... people walking back to their rooms in night before clothing at 5am...

We haven't sailed VOS yet but will be in 10 days time :D

I have cruised all 3 classes mentioned and enjoyed every cruise. We did Alaska on Radiance and consider it our favorite cruise, but not so much because of the ship, although our aft balcony was heaven, in fact, after all the hype, I was rather let down a little by Radiance. I've always thought she was one of the most visually stunning of all the classes on the outside, but the Voyager class outdoes her by leaps interiorly.

IMO you just can't beat the promenade. Nor the venues on Voyager and above...and even though Rhapsody is our unforgettable first cruise vessel, not so much. Just too old and not enough stuff to do. Voyager will have it all after refurb. But when all is said and done, nobody loses on any of these vessels!

We still have not done Oasis class yet, which I suspect will outdo them all.

Any choice will be a lovely trip for you...bon voyage!:D

I would check the itinerary of the Voyager and Radiance, length of times in each ports. The rhapsody is a smaller and much older ship so would choose between the Voyager and Radiance. We have sailed the Radiance in 2008 and will be on her again starting in March for our NZ Cruise & TP & Hawaii. She is a beautiful ship. Haven't sailed on any of the Voyager Class ships but have sailed on the LOS ( Freedom Class). You might find more to do on the Voyager, but both will provide you with an enjoyable trip.

Just to add something more to the mix, if you go on the Voyager then you have the option of a promenade cabin. These are cheaper than oceanview (which are cheaper again than balcony) rooms but you get a great bay window to sit by and read, drink, etc. Both of my trips on the Voyager have been on the promenade and I much prefer it to a window as there is always something there to look at. You can watch the sales, the people walking by, the parades, etc. I would read a book and every few pages look up and see what was happening.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions. I have looked into our options and I still feel like I'm in a pickle. The Voyager is a cruise is for 14 nights we are looking at $2000 each for an inside cabin and around $2250 for a promenade cabin, which I think we would get if we did the cruise. The issue is the itinary. We might be going with my parents and siblings and it visits Fiji and and New Zealand, which sounds great however it's Suva, Lautoka, Wellington, Auckland and Tauranga. Most are major cities and not idyllic beach locales which tend to be my favourite, however the cruise ship (Voyager) has significantly more onboard.

I know that I love sea days, but I, not sure about my first time cruisers.

The other cruise visits Lifou, Champagne Bay, Lugunville, Vila and Isle of Pines (I've been to the last two) and is for 11 nights on Rhapsody for $1500 inside and $2500 for a BALCONY.

I guess my question is, should I go a ship that is older and has less to do with a balcony and a better itinary? Or a better ship with in my opinion not as great itinerary? I would love opinions on the New Zealand ports also.

I'm pretty easy, it's more the others.

Also is there any smoking areas onboard? My dear boyfriend has the filthy habit haha and if there isn't, good incentive to quit hehe

Thanks,

Steph.

Edited by aussiechic4444
Spelling errors

They all have smoking areas although as of the start of this year there is no smoking on balconys. My first reaction to your question about the itinerary would be to say that given the time on shore in ports and the things to see I would say that having a beach locale is less important that you think especially as you have a floating beach with you every day. Having said that have a look at the shore excursions on the RCI web site for each of the ports and see what is available.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions. I have looked into our options and I still feel like I'm in a pickle. The Voyager is a cruise is for 14 nights we are looking at $2000 each for an inside cabin and around $2250 for a promenade cabin, which I think we would get if we did the cruise. The issue is the itinary. We might be going with my parents and siblings and it visits Fiji and and New Zealand, which sounds great however it's Suva, Lautoka, Wellington, Auckland and Tauranga. Most are major cities and not idyllic beach locales which tend to be my favourite, however the cruise ship (Voyager) has significantly more onboard.

The other cruise visits Lifou, Champagne Bay, Lugunville, Vila and Isle of Pines (I've been to the last two) and is for 11 nights on Rhapsody for $1500 inside and $2500 for a BALCONY.

I guess my question is, should I go a ship that is older and has less to do with a balcony and a better itinary? Or a better ship with in my opinion not as great itinerary? I would love opinions on the New Zealand ports also.

I'm pretty easy, it's more the others.

Also is there any smoking areas onboard? My dear boyfriend has the filthy habit haha and if there isn't, good incentive to quit hehe

Thanks,

Steph.

As the 3 RCI ships are the only RCI ones we have down-under, it might be a great idea to ask you question of which is the best ship & itinery on the Australia & NZ forums:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

BTW I've sailed on all 3 and the all have pros & cons. I'm just happy to be on the sea being waited on hand & foot! :D

Gae

Edited by gaechann

I think that's only something you can decide. Some people like sea days, some people like ports, some like the ships. There's no right or wrong, just what you'd prefer. I'd be okay with either - I don't think either are bad, or poor options so that's why it's really if someone has a strong preference. It's not as though Rhapsody is a bad ship, but neither are the ports Voyager visits bad either.

Regarding the NZ ones, Wellington's got nice museums, capital buildings, funicular and botanic gardens, is often windy or wet, and no beaches. Auckland's a nice city to visit, with a good harbour and other attractions, somewhat like Sydney. Tauranga is a smaller town with a little beach and mountain to climb locally, and others use it as the base for excursions to Rotorua. There are a lot of attractions there as well as the famous geysers.

What time of year are you looking to sail ? Radiance also visits the South Pacific ports in Jan & Feb 2015. Will your parents/family also appreciate beach days rather than seeing major cities?

You will definitely be much more in "awe" when you walk on board he Voyager, and the sports court/ice rink/viking crown/night clubs/promeade and everything else that makes he Voyager Class so special will be amazing to you. That ship in itself is a destination. The Rhapsody is a really nice ship, and espeically with it's recent upgrades, but is not a destination like the Voyager is.

And like one of the previous posters said you'll have tons of time to tan/lay around on board pool deck with the band playing, pool games, etc.