USA welcomes Queen Victoria World Cruise

Slow Foxtrot

Well, I did a lot of interesting reading. Aida can and does refuse booking to non fluent German speaking passengers. I have to wonder if they can fill a US based ship, week after week, with only German speaking passengers.

Seems like a nice line but there are quite a few things that may deter US passengers. Interesting.

Well, I did a lot of interesting reading. Aida can and does refuse booking to non fluent German speaking passengers. I have to wonder if they can fill a US based ship, week after week, with only German speaking passengers.

Seems like a nice line but there are quite a few things that may deter US passengers. Interesting.

brigittetom,

Honestly, I can't believe this and wonder what your source of information is. Would you quote it?

Thanks,

Cats2010:)

I don't think that this applies to English speaking passengers. There is a certain group of Europeans who all cruise lines try to avoid.

I read some of the comments and found that they can be misinterpreted. One reason for this could be the 'clash of cultures'.

Anyway, I can hardly imagine that passengers are not admitted because of the language question - there might be other reasons for this.

After all, it's all Cunard, isn't it?

They do say that everything is geared towards German passengers so I'm thinking that's not for everyone. Since all announcements and entertainment is in German, you would either have to speak German.....or want to be on an immersion trip.

All buffet appeals to some...not to others. It's always great to have choices.

They do say that everything is geared towards German passengers so I'm thinking that's not for everyone. Since all announcements and entertainment is in German, you would either have to speak German.....or want to be on an immersion trip.

All buffet appeals to some...not to others. It's always great to have choices.

Hhmm, there is English-speaking staff on board, and why not try something else? :cool:

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem......I speak German. I am selective in the choice of cruises though. Even at a good price, with flights, hotel, pet sitter, on board spending, car fares, etc, a cruise is never cheap. The reviews, at this point, are too mixed to make me want to try it. I'd rather stay with what I know.

My comments were actually generally speaking though....not for my experience personally. Like every other line.....some will love it, others won't.

Good news. I have spoken about this to the AIDA CEO Michael Unger who happens to live around here.

No reason to worry. If there is a mayor group of non-Germans aboard the ship will perform all anouncements in an appropriate language and no English or Spanish speaking passenger will be rejected - they are most welcome. Many of the crew do speak othe usefull languages than Grman.They will also do their best to meet your needs if this needs vary at all from those of the German passangers. Yes, even the useless US type toilet paper will be supplied:D

Actually, I think the food would be amazing.....although I would think that the German passengers would like some variation.

Okay Cunardaddict....you have to explain "useless US type toilet paper". Many of us actually find it quite useful. :D

Edited by brigittetom

I don't know which one of the comments hurts more, cunardaddicts' or yours, loeri.

You seem to ignore German history altogether by focussing only on one part of it.

I personally prefer to ignore the last sentence of your post (Freudian slip?).

:rolleyes:

Actually, I think the food would be amazing.....although I would think that the German passengers would like some variation.

Okay Cunardaddict....you have to explain "useless US type toilet paper". Many of us actually find it quite useful. :D

I will, but not into the details.

To my knowledge the European continental toilet flushing system is technically different to the UK/US-sytem. This may be caused by technical history.

Caused by this the US/UK-toiletpaper is much thinner and less tearproof and requieres are different method in using it.

Thats facts and nothing personal. You may instead criticize the size of our steaks :rolleyes:

cunard addict - I really resent your anti American remarks and attitudes.Please reserve them for the 3rd rich if you must.

I can't confirm the existance of a specifically German Type toilet paper. So there is no future for 4th Reich. But I would guess that this would be a kind of an emery cloth as we love to make you believe the we are the toughest a... of the world.:D

I can't confirm the existance of a specifically German Type toilet paper.

I checked it. It comes from Sweden as most of european paper produce.

I really wonder why any comment on a US product or habit is understood as anti american. Just watch your people coming over here and telling everyone permanently and without beeing asked that all things are much better in the US - with the exemption of the beer and the sausages. No one here would see this as anti German. We can live with this.

Btw. I had one of the best bratwurst at a place in northern Illinois and there is at least one beer there wich can easily compete with average German lager. I whish Cunard would serve it on the ships...

I'm very sorry for the distress caused to QV passengers and crew as a result of delayed disembarkation. As Brigitte mentioned, I have also experienced similar issues in some Canadian ports as well as Port Boston.

S.

Salacia, would one of the Canadian ports you referred to be Halifax? As I mentioned in another thread, by special arrangement we are disembarking from a crossing on the QM2 in Halifax in June. On our annual rail journeys to Halifax we have observed dozens of ships arriving at Piers 20 and 22 and it seems that passengers come ashore very soon after the gangways are attached. Immigration and Customs officers are in evidence near the gangways but passengers stream ashore by the hundreds. Because we are leaving the ship in Halifax I know we will have to report to an immigration officer and produce a customs declaration. I'm just curious if we will get involved in a huge crowd scene, possibly being the only people with luggage.

Salacia, would one of the Canadian ports you referred to be Halifax? As I mentioned in another thread, by special arrangement we are disembarking from a crossing on the QM2 in Halifax in June. On our annual rail journeys to Halifax we have observed dozens of ships arriving at Piers 20 and 22 and it seems that passengers come ashore very soon after the gangways are attached. Immigration and Customs officers are in evidence near the gangways but passengers stream ashore by the hundreds. Because we are leaving the ship in Halifax I know we will have to report to an immigration officer and produce a customs declaration. I'm just curious if we will get involved in a huge crowd scene, possibly being the only people with luggage.

Hi David. No, I've never had a problem with Customs in Halifax. We were there twice last year, and both times we had been given paperwork to fill out for Canadian officials prior to boarding QM2 in Brooklyn. We usually wait awhile after docking before going ashore, and have always been able to proceed ashore without being part of a huge crowd. Port Halifax is one of my favourite ports - I think they've done a great job at making cruise ships feel welcome.:) I hope everything goes as smoothly for you. Regards, -S.

I will, but not into the details.

To my knowledge the European continental toilet flushing system is technically different to the UK/US-sytem. This may be caused by technical history.

Caused by this the US/UK-toiletpaper is much thinner and less tearproof and requieres are different method in using it.

Thats facts and nothing personal. You may instead criticize the size of our steaks :rolleyes:

Well, as long as were on the topic, there is not just one type of plumbing system in the US. In many cities, waste water goes to a central high tech waste treatment center, whereas rural areas have septic systems. In some areas, "out-houses" are still in existence. Septic systems operate best with certain types of toilet paper, whereas the more technical developed waste treatment plants can process a greater variety of papers. Obviously, for "out-houses", the more degradable the paper, the better.

Cunardaddict, there is definitely not one type of toilet flushing system or one type of toilet paper in the US. That about wraps up all I have to say about the thrones in the USA! :D -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi David. No, I've never had a problem with Customs in Halifax. We were there twice last year, and both times we had been given paperwork to fill out for Canadian officials prior to boarding QM2 in Brooklyn. We usually wait awhile after docking before going ashore, and have always been able to proceed ashore without being part of a huge crowd. Port Halifax is one of my favourite ports - I think they've done a great job at making cruise ships feel welcome.:) I hope everything goes as smoothly for you. Regards, -S.

Thank you Salacia. Although we have travelled to Halifax dozens of times by train and occasionally by plane, we have never sailed in. We have watched the arrival and departure of many fine ships on which we have travelled or would soon travel. We were there for the maiden Canadian call of the QM2 and the QE and also the dedication and rededication of the statue of Sir Samuel Cunard.

Prior to the events known as "9-11" the port was very open which was surprising even for that time. It was possible to walk through any of the pier buildings and along the apron of the piers and chat with the crew and the Town Crier. Even the container areas where some ships still have to dock was open to all. (It was a bit dangerous, actually - you had to be careful of trucks and the occasional train!)The only security was at the foot of the gangways - and it was just a check of "cruise cards"; there were no X-ray machines.

David, unless I've forgotten something, it was exactly the same when we were there in October. You could walk right into the pier buildings because I mistakenly walked into the NCL Dawns building.

Yes, non-passengers can walk through much of the pier buildings, especially the shops of Pier 22. But other areas are closed off, such as where the X-ray machines and Immigration/Customs officers are. Prior to 2001 you could walk anywhere, including right through the big doors leading to the apron of the piers. You could almost touch the ships. :) The Museum at Pier 21 offers good views from the upper level.

Local ship-fans told me in the 1980s and 90s that if you got to know the foreman of stevedores or the port agents you could even get invited on board some of the ships for lunch. I met one Haligonian who carried a hard-hat in his car so he could go on board with the stevedores if invited. He said Cunard would never allow that, though.

There were other ports that were wide open. About 40 years ago we had friends in New York come aboard Holland America's Rotterdam for a bon voyage in our cabin. No pass was needed. In Montreal, Canadian Pacific and Polish Ocean Lines ships welcomed visitors without any fuss. Some ships in Nassau would have a sign at the gangway inviting anyone to come aboard for a look around. At some ports you needed a pass, easily available from the port agents. In Las Palmas we went aboard P&O's Canberra and were able to have G&Ts in a lounge. This was when bar charges were paid in cash - sterling, of course. How things have changed.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

Okay, got it. We had delays getting off the ship in almost all ports including Boston, I think. Were were directed to deck three to get numbers and wait. I honestly didn't think it had to do with immigration for some reason. Bar Harbor was an adventure and that had to do with fog.

I remember the 80's, sailing out of LA. Whoever drove you to the port always came on board for a farewell drink. I remember going to the port one time just to say hello to my favorite bartender for my free drink. Ah, those were the days.

:)

My mom had friends in Victoria who wanted to see the ship. All we had to do was flash our keys (the ones with the plastic hang tags) to get back on board. We gave the friends our keys to get on board with.....they recognized us, so we didn't have to show them. And yet people insist that things are so much better now.

Edited by brigittetom

I remember the 80's, sailing out of LA. Whoever drove you to the port always came on board for a farewell drink. I remember going to the port one time just to say hello to my favorite bartender for my free drink. Ah, those were the days.

:)

Had some fun yesterday evening watching an old 'Columbo' movie on TV. He was to go on a short cruise with a P&O ship (Canberra?) from Long Beach to Acapulco. Evereyone just went aboard without any restrictions. He even climbed over barriers without beeing stopped in search of his imaginary 'Mrs. Columbo'.

I just saw that episode also. That would have been filmed in San Pedro. I thought that was the Princess Love Boat, I was paying attention to the funnel. Did you notice how the passengers were constantly watching the action when they weren't supposed to? I never liked the idea of a filming sailing because I wouldn't want to constantly be corralled into spaces.

I did think those small lounges were fun. More people interaction instead of just watching a show in the theater. I didn't have high standards for entertainment and just enjoyed the atmosphere and fun of the smaller ships. Far more personal and less PC. Of course I was a lot younger then and we didn't know any better. :D

I just saw that episode also. That would have been filmed in San Pedro. I thought that was the Princess Love Boat, I was paying attention to the funnel. Did you notice how the passengers were constantly watching the action when they weren't supposed to? I never liked the idea of a filming sailing because I wouldn't want to constantly be corralled into spaces.

I found on the web that the ship was the first Sun Princess.

Indeed neither would I travel on a cruise ship with film teams telling me what zo wear and where to be. This is a central cause for me never to travel with the Deutschland.