Roll Call: Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 9/24 - 10/1

JDeanFan

I just surprised my partner with this cruise for his 30th birthday. This is his first cruise ever (I went on 2 in high school, don't think they really count! LOL) and we were hoping to meet up with other LGBTs who are on this cruise.

A co-worker & his partner are going on this cruise 2 weeks earlier. They swear by Celebrity. Any one else been on a Celebrity cruise? Been on the Zenith? We're incredibly excited about this trip and would love to talk to others!

Jim & Dave

Metro NYC

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! My partner and I have sailed on Celebrity many times, and we love it! In fact, we went to Bermuda last October on Horizon, the sister ship to Zenith...we've also sailed on Zenith to other destinations. Bermuda is a beautiful island, with much to see and do and awesome beaches for relaxing.

It seems to be a common opinion on this board that Celebrity is one of the most gay friendly of the large market lines. Our own experience is that we usually meet more gay and lesbian people on Celebrity than on any of the other cruise lines. We were celebrating our twenty fifth anniversary last year, and several of the crew members went out of their way to help us celebrate, even though we never made any requests that they do so. Celebrity typically has outstanding service, wonderful food and well maintained ships with a sort of 'friendly elegance'. We have never had a bad experience with Celebrity, either from the staff or from fellow cruisers.

In the late summer and early fall, the trip over to Bermuda can be a bit choppy. If you or your partner are sensitive to motion, you may want to pack some dramamine or some other form of sea sickness treatment. Of course, you may have perfectly smooth waters, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Have a wonderful trip! What an excellent way to celebrate a thirtieth birthday!

I've sailed to Bermuda many times - several on Celebrity Zenith & Horizon.

The ships are a great size for Bermuda & for meeting others onboard. They are subdued in decor but you won't be bored.

Bermuda is my favorite island - the people are nice - the beaches beautiful & there is enough to do to keep you busy - golf, tennis, snorkeling, shopping & history. The restaurants are nice. Have a cocktail at the Hamilton Princess on the lawn overlooking the harbor!

I usualy rent a moped & tour that way but there are plenty of cabs & buses.

Its a magical island & going by ship is the best..enjoy every minute!

Backes & Rotterdam,

Thanks so much for the advice & encouraging words about Celebrity! I'm really looking forward to our trip & so is Dave (my partner)!

Do you know if there are regularly scheduled F.O.D. / GLBT meetings or would we have to request them?

Thanks again!

Jim & Dave

Hello! I don't remember GLBT meetings on our Bermuda trip, but there may have been...we rarely attend them. I do know that Celebrity is generally open to such meetings and I wouldn't hesitate to request one/some if you have an interest.

I forgot to mention before about the bus pass that you can purchase in Bermuda. Their bus system is very, very easy and convenient to use, with friendly drivers and clean buses. You can purchase one for different lengths of time, depending upon your needs, and then you have unlimited use of the buses during that time. You can go pretty much anywhere on the island on a bus. We don't live in a large, metro area, so we never have the need to use any sort of public transportation at home, and we had absoulutely no trouble using the bus system.

Have fun!

I just reread your post - it reminded me that I too went to Bermuda on the Home Lines Homeric for my 30th birthday! I was single at the time - friends had planned a party at a restaurant here in NYC - I'm not much for that sort of thing & was going crazy thinking about it. The week before I called my TA & said I wanted out quick - she booked me on the HOMERIC - sailing in 3 days time. I spent the last day of my 20's on Bermuda at Horse Shoe Bay(spectacular) & my 30th birtday at sea between Bermuda & NYC. I remember waking up & singing Happy Birthday to me & having a wonderful day. I did not tell anyone it was my bd until after dinner. A man I met onboard got up & played Ebb Tide on the piano(he was of concert calibar) in my honor - I couldn't ask for a better gift! When I returned my friends still had the party & forgave me for running away. It was the best & I'd do it again in a second - no regrets!

Like backes I do not recall any FOD gatherings(I / we - the partner & I usually do not attend). I do know the nite in St Georges is a big crew nite out, so the pubs/ clubs are crazy - all within walking distance to the ship(and quite safe also).

The ship is small enough that you will run into people repeatedly while onboard. I found both the Horizon & Zenith friendly ships. I do recall the one bar outside the restaurant popular before dinner.

Also the Americas Cup lounge(top - forward ) is quite nice....

My parents love the buses in Bermuda(go figure they never take public transport at home) because they are so clean & efficeint - the Bermudians are so friendly they will gladly assist you along the way. There is also a good ferry service across Hamilton Harbor. I always found teh moped the best way to explore - just tool around & stop for lunch & a swim whenever I wanted. Be careful on the mopeds....

Bermuda is such a special place - you both are so fortunate to be going(ok I' a mush) & so much so as a couple.

Hello! As Rotterdam mentioned, you can go pretty much everywhere on a moped...Bermuda has no car rentals. Once you've seen the narrow, winding roads, you'll understand why! We're just too chicken to ride a moped anywhere near other motorists, pedestrians or even big trees, LOL! One of my favorite photos from our last trip to Bermuda is looking down a busy street in Hamilton and seeing hundreds of mopeds parked in a line down the side of the street, and in front of the bikes there are several business men in their jackets, ties, dress shoes, knee socks and their Bermuda shorts!

The bus pass that we've mentioned is good for the ferries, too. Like the buses, they are clean, comfortable and easy to use, plus they offer some beautiful scenery as you're riding about.

Have a great trip!

I took my family on the Zenith in 1998. A nice ship, it is not to large or to small, on Celebrity you will have GREAT FOOD. Have taken Celebrity cruises 5 times Carnival once. Have a good time. Good luck

Ron

This all sounds very exciting! Bermuda (online and through everyone's descriptions) sounds gorgeous! And thanks for the travel tips! A co-worker suggested Tobacco Bay, as well. Has anyone been there?

I can't wait for us to be on the boat! It, too, sounds like it's going to be a blast! We've been hitting the gym to lose a little weight just so we can gain it back on the ship! LOL

Thats the beauty of Bermuda - all the beaches are faboo!!!!!!!

Also as far as nite life in Bermuda - there was a club right in Front Street in Hamilton taht teh crew always went to & it was fun.....

Also whatever you do - get off the ship at nite & enjoy St George & Hamilton for drinks & dinner....

You'll love the pink sand.....I've kept a bottle of it for over 20 years & it always brings a smile.....

Thanks for the club recomendation!

I change to a new pic of Bermuda fevery few days for my wallpaper at work. It's the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm fascinated by beach glass- the opaque teal stones. Is it true there's lots of it in Bermuda?

(...also noticing that it looks like we're the only family from CC on this cruise! LOL)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived