Travel options to Manchester from Dover

We disembark the cruise ship on Sat. May 3rd.at the Dover port. I am trying to decide on our best option for travelling to Manchester. I am unsure about driving on the left side and traffic congestion on British motorways. The train is certainly an option, although the booking is a little confusing. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Train is an option, Dover to St Pancras then Euston to Manchester - one stop on the tube although the short walk (less than 10 minutes) might be easier than the hassle of the tube. Booking with a reserved seat doesn't become available until 10 weeks before the required date. You can either use one of the actual train providers (South Eastern Trains or Virgin Trains) or a consolidator (such as thetrainline) to book. Total travel time would be around 5 hours. It is possible that you could get a transfer into London and just take the train from there.

National Express Coach is an option with a change at Victoria Coach station but pretty slow - 8 to 9 hours - but cheap and less luggage handling.

Hire Car is an option but may have significant drop off and insurance charge. (Also depends on how much luggage - small cars are cheap but if more than two passengers will only take two small suitcases). Also means you have to take on the Dartford crossing which can be really slow. It is mainly dual carriageway or motorway but will be very busy - depends how confident you feel. I would estimate 6 hours but depends on traffic - Sunday is much easier!

Fly - cruise line will offer (expensive) transfers to either Heathrow or Gatwick and you can then fly to Manchester.

Summary - if you can handle your luggage easily I would take the train but you do need to wait to book. G.

I agree...train is the way I'd do it. The other problem with hiring a car is the fuel cost, which is significantly more than in Canada. You would probably be talking around £70 of fuel minimum Dover to M'cr. Trains are fast and frequent and much less hassle. I've done the walk from Euston to St Pancras with luggage and as long as its not raining its no problem with rolling luggage...about 10 mins as msg girl says. The national rail website is pretty good at finding cheapest fares http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

but you can also try www.thetrainline.com www.redspottedhanky.com

www.raileasy.co.uk

though I think you will find they come out with similar prices.

Simon

PS I've just had a quick look, and the latest train I can find at the moment is Sat 5th April. Most trains are £23.50 single each...if you wait until 1145 departure (arriving just before 1600) its £17.50 (if you are that desperate to save £6!!). Trainline prices are the same, so I'd stick with the National Rail website. BTW, you will depart from Dover Priory (DVP) and arrive Manchester Picadilly (MAN). Wait a month or so and try and book it asap to get the best price. If you don't fancy walking between St Pancras and Euston a cab will be about £7.

Edited by sddsddean
PS

• 2 weeks later...