Transatlantic Europe to FLL in November

erniebert

Just wondering anyone who has done one of these before at the start of November - when did the weather start to improve to a level where you could comfortably use the pool/sunbathe?

I'd love to try this itinerary - now I just need to find a way of getting a reasonable one-way flight from FLL or MIA to Dublin - at the moment it's only €100 less than a return :(

We were on Legend this past year, from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, starting OCt 30. We were fortunate, and the weather was mostly sunny and warm. The pools were used almost every day, other than the one or two days we had some rain.

Most of our crossings have stopped at the Canary Islands, which are fairly far south and the weather was generally quite warm. And that included one that started in December.

One that went to the Azores instead, stayed cool a lot longer, and wasn't quite so warm.

Therefore, I would suggest selecting one that calls at Canary Islands (Tenerife) if you want the best possibility of warm.

We left Southampton on November 2. The first two days were, well, what I expected of the North Atlantic in November :-) The outside decks were closed and the pools drained too, the winds were too strong to be out there. November 5 was my son's birthday and, since the pools had been reopened, he and his brother wanted to swim. We ended up spending most of the time in the hot tub, and shivered a lot when we got out! It got better every day, though, probably by Nov 7 it was ok outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

We left Southampton on November 2. The first two days were, well, what I expected of the North Atlantic in November :-) The outside decks were closed and the pools drained too, the winds were too strong to be out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

Was the solarium pool drained also?

On both November Transatlantics we have done. (2012Indy & 2013Navigator), we have experienced rough seas & poor weather for a period of the cruise. As for the issue of flights, we paid £65 each back from Orlando with Virgin Atlantic in Dec 2013, through Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. We converted Tesco Clubcard points to flying club miles & booked direct with Virgin.

Just wondering anyone who has done one of these before at the start of November - when did the weather start to improve to a level where you could comfortably use the pool/sunbathe?

I'd love to try this itinerary - now I just need to find a way of getting a reasonable one-way flight from FLL or MIA to Dublin - at the moment it's only €100 less than a return :(

Most of the fall Trans-Atlantics I have done have actually been late November - early December. If you are coming out of the British Isles, these usually head to the Iberian Peninsula across the Bay of Biscay - this is often considered the second roughest passage in the world after only the Drake Channel. Once you get beyond the Bay of Biscay the weather is usually not bad. We left Southampton the last week of November, and things were pretty nice by Portugal and all the way across. We have done Barcelona to Florida starting as late as December, and had it nice the entire way. Not hot the first few days, but definitely warmer than Ireland.

Not sure if www.ChoiceAir.com (an RCI subsidiary) is offered in Europe, but if it is check it out. They generally have one-way air fares in conjunction with their cruises that can't be beat. We got one-way Washington, DC to Heathrow for something like US$340!

The only really miserable crossing was April 2004 on QE2 - 12 hours of 20 metre (70 foot) waves:eek: - but I had paid for those meals and I didn't miss them:D.

Thom

I was on the same Legend transatlantic Bob mentioned above. The weather was very nice. We had a couple of rainy days or parts of days. But we saw people on the beach in all of our stops.

I did a review of our cruise. You can skim the pictures and see how a little about the ports and the weather.

We used Choice Air for a flight from Baltimore to Barcelona and it was $48 pp.

I was on the same Legend transatlantic Bob mentioned above. The weather was very nice. We had a couple of rainy days or parts of days. But we saw people on the beach in all of our stops.

I did a review of our cruise. You can skim the pictures and see how a little about the ports and the weather.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943590

We used Choice Air for a flight from Baltimore to Barcelona and it was $448 pp.

Sorry I tried to correct my post but it was too late. :p

We took the Liberty of the Seas from Barcelona to FLL on October 27 th. in 2013. The only bad weather (wasn't that bad) was after we passed the Straights of Gibraltar and got into the Atlantic. There was a bad storm that had hit the UK and we got about 1 and a half days of some rocking and rolling. BUT it wasn't bad..........if my wife can handle it - it wasn't bad.

We only stopped in the Caribbean - so nice weather for sun, swim and beach activities.