Cancun/Cozumel - Emily

What would the cruise lines do if Cozumel was hit hard enough and could not open for cruisers? It just seems that a lot of them go there, and where they might go otherwise?

Our prayers are with all of them tonight. 17_1_10.gif

It's not looking good. It's packing 135 mph winds and is tightly wound. Looks like the center will pass over Cozumel. I don't know how places like Carlos and Charlies down on the international dock will survive something like this.

The whole area may be dealing with some sanitation issues and such through the coming weeks, so cruisers should not get their hopes up too much about docking there for a while to come.

SOme ships will do the eastern route, others will substitute Beleze, Costa Maya or Progresso(If thats not hit too), others will just be short one port of call like when GC was hit last year.

THats a risk we face when we cruise during hurricane season!

Scott

I was looking at the NOAA site and it looks to me as though she is going to make a direct hit on Cozumel. It also looks like she has become a little stronger as she approaches land. I can see some major damage to the island. The only good thing is the fact that she is moving 20 MPH. Prayers are with the folks down there.

I am not sure that it is better that she is only moving at 20 mph. That means more rain. The rain is what really go Houston in 2002 as the hurricane went over slowly, then backed up. It turned I-59 into a river....

Unless, that means it will also weaken more over the peninsula.....

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people in harm's way hoping they will find safe shelter. My friend and her family boarded the Rhapsody today. I wonder where they will wind up. We laughed a few weeks before my cruise when we found out we were going to miss each other by 2 weeks. I might be wrong but even though hurricane season starts in June, isn't the beginning of July unusually early for all these hurricanes? All my past cruises were in July and I never encountered any problem.

Looks like Cozumel is in for a wild night. Emily is expected to go just to he south of Cozumel. This will mean constant winds for the entire time Emily passes the Island. Emily will be close enough that the island will probably feel the strongest winds. It may have been better to have a direct hit. At least the island would have had a lull when the storm eye passed overhead. Lets hope there is still something left to visit and that there is no loss of life.

Sigh.... so long to Chin Rio I am afraid. Coconuts should make, it sits up on a hill. The windward side of the island (east side) will really get spanked. We are headed there in December. Hopefully they will have pretty well fixed it by then. My DW will have lots of money to spend to help them. :D

Going to go count beads now....

Even though it appeared to land south of Cozumel, it may have not been that lucky.

"The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Emily made landfall just north of Tulum early Monday and that the northern eyewall - where the worst weather would be expected - passed directly over Cozumel."

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBX00MGABE.html

Found some postings on impact in Cozumel here

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=208

and it sounds cautiously promising.

Phone services sound like they are working better than expected so there are some reports coming in. Keep your thoughts with our Cruise Critic friends... haven't seen any reports from them or about them yet (follow their preparations over in the Cozumel board.)

The port of Progreso also too the storm head on. I would expect it will be a while before both of those ports can be called on by cruise ships again.

From everything I've heard, it doesn't sound all that bad. The docks at Coz are still structurally sound. That means that besides cruise ships, they can can get ships in there to get them whatever they need.

Archived