Crime out of control in Nassau

ToAdam12

Thanks for the heads up. Have been to Nassau a couple of times and will do so twice this year.

I ALWAYS get off the ship, if you're inventive enough there's always something to enjoy.

Will stay careful everywhere we stop, not only Nassau.

Ok if the crime is high, id like to take as little cash as possible. How much cash would a family of 5 need to carry on us to get to Atlantis and back? I believe the lockers and food at Atlantis will take credit card, therefore I am wondering the cost of a cab to get there bc someone earlier mentioned a toll fee too on top of the cab fee. Any knowledge on this appreciated, thanks.

You need to be cautious everywhere! The residents’ primary source of income is tourism legal or illegal. They may like your money but they rarely enjoy the company of tourists.

To other’s comments if ships stopped going to Nassau you might as well cut out all of the Bahamas, there are better true Caribbean islands and the cruise ships can’t get to the best areas of the Bahamas anyway. To my point winter weather in the Bahamas is not very different then south Florida. Going on a cruise next week and the weather is disappointing (68-72) so my wife and I are from / live in Florida. We knew booking that was possible though. Furthermore, if you cut out the Bahamas then Cruise Lines would need to consider repositioning home ports. For instance Port Canaveral would basically be useless.

I would further suggest that if the Bahamas were not a reasonable place for the Lines to acquire private islands in than Nassau wouldn’t be the popular Port of Call it is.

We were there a couple weeks ago. It was scary. . A few ladies tried to pick pocket my husband. He didn't have his wallet I had a cross body bag under my sweater with very little cash. In the alley by the $5 shop a very shady older man came out from behind a building pulling up him pants and didn't seem like he had just went to the bathroom. He was staring down 2 of the 4 teenager girls with us and kept circling them. We were a big group and walked away. I do not scare easy and my heart was pounding and I was so scared for my girls. We went back to the ship. I will be returning with my husband but in October but do not think we will be l leaving the ship. Pretty sad that carnival basically tells you it is not safe to leave the ship.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was there last July. Did a snorkel trip on our own and a food tour. Never once felt unsafe. You just need your street smarts like everywhere else. We would go back.

OT but can you tell me what co you used for the snorkeling trip? We're not getting off the ship if we don't find a good snorkeling outing. Just don't like it there.

Captain Carl's boat tours in Nassau..... Google it.... He has lots of packages you put together based on what you want to do...... My husband and I and another couple used him last year while in Nassau... Just the 4 of us on the boat....we did the 3 hour tour..... He did a tour of the island....snorkeling and tubing for 385 which came to under 100 per person..... It is safe and fun..... He has lots of reviews on trip advisor.....much better than a regular excursion with 20-30 people.... We are goin back to Nassau in February and we will be using his company again to snorkel and go tubing. Check it out :-)

You think that's bad...Verrazano is $15.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Forums mobile app

And the great thing is that the Verrazano Bridge connects two parts of the SAME city while the George Washington Bridge at least spans two different states. :eek:

And the great thing is that the Verrazano Bridge connects two parts of the SAME city while the George Washington Bridge at least spans two different states. :eek:

Upon my travels to Long Island , you pay $15 and in the last 5 years I see very little road improvements. And the Gothels Bridge scares the hell out of me!

Geo

Captain Carl's boat tours in Nassau..... Google it.... He has lots of packages you put together based on what you want to do...... My husband and I and another couple used him last year while in Nassau... Just the 4 of us on the boat....we did the 3 hour tour..... He did a tour of the island....snorkeling and tubing for 385 which came to under 100 per person..... It is safe and fun..... He has lots of reviews on trip advisor.....much better than a regular excursion with 20-30 people.... We are goin back to Nassau in February and we will be using his company again to snorkel and go tubing. Check it out :-)

Thank you! We're thinking the snorkel with tubing outing is a good plan for us.

Thank you! We're thinking the snorkel with tubing outing is a good plan for us.

You will love Captain Carl..... he takes u to a really cool spot for snorkeling....private...lots of fish to explore ......if u book him...let me know how much u loved it

cruising is the best way to vacation!!!