Crime out of control in Nassau

ToAdam12

Before this gets taken down by Cruise Critic let me warn everyone Who is going to Nassau at all crime is out of control. We are not taking about pick pockets either. Tourists are getting held up outside of Senior frogs and out side of Atlantis. This trend it increasing look it up. The Bahamas Police Department post all crime statistics online look it up. Also see how long it's gonna take CC to take this down.

I am one of those "few" people that LOVE Nassau. I don't see why there is so much crime there. If you go out in explore the town it is safe. Just stay in tourists area. Many people just visit the market by the dock and go back to the ship.

Edited by christmas

Thanks for the info. We were there in November and didn't see anything, but I will admit that since I have been there twice I really don't see any reason to go back. If we cruise there again I think we will be staying on the ship to enjoy having the pools/slides to ourselves. :)

The only cruises I book that stop at Nassau are the three day cruises on the Sensation...sometimes I disembark, sometimes I don't.

I would never book a 7 nighter that stops in Nassau. In my opinion, it is a waste of a port stop.

We did a cruise last year that stopped in Nassau, mainly because we wanted to go to Half Moon Cay, did not care for it. We did feel a little uncomfortable, nothing bad happened, and we would not go again. It is a shame that crime is escalating!

I was in Nassau 5 days ago (just got off the Splendor yesterday). We never felt unsafe. Walked to Junkanoo Beach, then back. Went through the straw market. Nearly every vendor had identical merchandise. Sat at a little outside bar area about 100 feet from Senor Frogs and enjoyed 3 beers for $10. Tons of other cruise passengers walking around, as well as a few police officers.

Not much else to do though.

:mad: So sad that such beautiful places are so dangerous to go to. I liked Nassau, but everything was so darn expensive. I felt safer there than in Ocho Rios, however. I hope they take the warnings seriously. The criminals don't care, but the police force needs to listen. Sad, sad, sad.

I've been to Nassau twice in the last two months as a solo traveler by myself and never felt unsafe. I enjoyed spending my days at Junkanoo Beach. IMHO you have to be cautious everywhere. Many cities right here in the US have just as much crime and you can get held up at the local Kroger or Home Depot. Personally, I'd have no problem going back to Nassau.

I was just in Nassau on Dec. 23, 2013, and never once felt unsafe. We went to the zoo and had our taxi drop us off at "restaurant row" and walked back to the ship from there, never once felt unsafe or uncomfortable. We enjoyed our time in Nassau and feel it's no differerent than any other Carbbian port.

We went to Nassau in November on our cruise for the first time.

I knew what to expect so we made no plans to get off the ship. We did go out onto the main shopping street and walked around, felt pretty safe although we were walking together, I wasn't alone.

What struck me as odd was when we were passing by the straw market on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD, some woman came SCREAMING out of the market and yelled at me from across the street to come over and look at her booth.

I thought that was STRANGE. We quickly hid in a store then made it back to the ship.