Watching the Olympics While on Board

Spire2000

Being the Canadian I am, everything takes a back seat when it comes to hockey. We're going to be on the Zuiderdam for a portion of the Olympics and I'm wondering if there is going to be any chance of catching the Olympics, specifically the hockey games, while on board. It looks like the games are being broadcast on NBC Sports, so I guess the question is do any of the bars carry that channel?

Thanks,

The only way you will see Network TV (NBC) is if the ship pays to pull down a signal from the satelite. That is very costly but they have done it for various sporting events such as Super Bowl etc. Any sports on ESPN can be viewed on cabin tv's and in sports bar. IF they pull down Olympics signal, you will be able to watch in Sports Bar and likely on your cabin tv. For SuperBowl, they often set up a big screen in a lounge and they put out 'game day snacks'. They make it very fun!!! :)

I am sailing with Canadian friends over both the Superbowl and the start of the Olympics. I know the Superbowl won't be a problem at all having spent the past 10 Superbowls at sea but never expected to be able to see any of the Olympics. It would be a nice option though if it were offered, to see an event or two; or maybe even the opening ceremonies.

Years ago, I remember being on either Veendam or Maasdam and watched summer Olympics...... specifically ladies gymnastics. I know they pulled down the signal at least a few times. I doubt they did for the whole of the games..... and it was years ago.

Hope for you that viewing is possible, however one word of caution in expectations. If they do show any part of the Olympics on NBC, it will be the American broadcast and broadcasters. Why do I say that, why does it matter? Well for those of us that liver have lived close enough to Canada to receive Canadian TV stations know there are differences and most I know who can get the Canadian broadcasts much prefer to watch the Olympics on that station. (Sadly, I no longer live in a area where that is possible.)

Hope for you that viewing is possible, however one word of caution in expectations. If they do show any part of the Olympics on NBC, it will be the American broadcast and broadcasters. Why do I say that, why does it matter? Well for those of us that liver have lived close enough to Canada to receive Canadian TV stations know there are differences and most I know who can get the Canadian broadcasts much prefer to watch the Olympics on that station. (Sadly, I no longer live in a area where that is possible.)

Yeah, I'm fully aware that we would be receiving American coverage, but that would be far better than no coverage. I checked the NBC Olympic broadcast schedule and the NBCSports network will be showing the Canada/Noway game on Feb 13th in the afternoon on a tape delay.

I think will go ahead and email the head office now.

Canadian and Olympic junkie though I am, this year is one year that I will not be tuning in.

I have cut up my visa card, I no longer buy Coke products (and that's a LONG list), I no longer eat at McDonald's (hardly a great sacrifice), and I have told all of these Olympic sponsors precisely why I am no longer buying their products.

I will take pride in the performance of Canadian athletes--but I will not do so in any fashion that provides sponsors with a return on the money that they have spent to support these particular games.

Canadian and Olympic junkie though I am, this year is one year that I will not be tuning in.

I have cut up my visa card, I no longer buy Coke products (and that's a LONG list), I no longer eat at McDonald's (hardly a great sacrifice), and I have told all of these Olympic sponsors precisely why I am no longer buying their products.

I will take pride in the performance of Canadian athletes--but I will not do so in any fashion that provides sponsors with a return on the money that they have spent to support these particular games.

I'm going to guess that this is a response to the Russian government's position on homosexuality? I know I won't be able to change your opinion, but the Russian government will lose money on the Olympics. They are massively in the hole and are paying crews overtime to complete work. The Russian government will not make a profit off these games.

The Russian people, especially in the Sochi area will benefit, and I would guess most of them, like most people in the world are pretty indifferent when it comes to gay rights. The real benefactors, as always, are going to be the TV networks and the various forms of media that cover the games. And if there is an industry with gays more well-represented, I don't know what it is. The fashion industry, maybe.

So yeah, do what you want. I just wanted to give another side.

Interesting insight Sail. I think I can round up all the Canadians on board and threaten mutiny if the games aren't on, lol...

Maybe I'll send the office a question and get the ball rolling.

We are on your ship with you, and would definitely watch if it was offered. I met you over in the roll call but didn't realize you were Canadian! Hubby and I are from Vancouver island.

Although I think chances are probably slim, let us know how you make out!

Here's the response direct from the home office:

At this time, we are unable to confirm we will broadcast the Winter Olympics directly. However, the stateroom TVs do have ESPN and ESPN2 channels which may provide highlights.

Here's the response direct from the home office:

At this time, we are unable to confirm we will broadcast the Winter Olympics directly. However, the stateroom TVs do have ESPN and ESPN2 channels which may provide highlights.

Don't take this as absolute.

The responses we sometimes get from reps in Seattle are not always accurate.

Wait until you are on the ship to find out for sure.