Morning or Afternoon Train in Skagway?

jresmith

My husband and I will be on a Princess cruise to Alaska in May of this year. We would like to take the train ride on the White Pass, but were wondering if morning or afternoon is better as far as the light for pictures. The morning train leaves at 8:10 and returns around 12:40 and the afternoon train leaves at 1:40 and returns around 4:10. I understand that if it's rainy or foggy, all bets are off, but under great conditions, is morning or afternoon sun better for pictures?

Thanks! Jennifer

My husband and I will be on a Princess cruise to Alaska in May of this year. We would like to take the train ride on the White Pass, but were wondering if morning or afternoon is better as far as the light for pictures. The morning train leaves at 8:10 and returns around 12:40 and the afternoon train leaves at 1:40 and returns around 4:10. I understand that if it's rainy or foggy, all bets are off, but under great conditions, is morning or afternoon sun better for pictures?

Thanks! Jennifer

We personally prefer the morning . This leaves the afternoon to take another tour just walk around the town. The best is to take the bus one way and return on the train. You'll see two different views of the White Pass .

Opt for the morning train as you never know what may happen..On our May 2013 visit glad we took the morning bus up and train down (with Chilkoot) the afternoon train had problems but luckily the ship waited because of all the ship booked passengers...the privately booked were lucky this time. Taking that morning option gave us the afternoon to spend in town.