Tahitian Princess question

travelgirl913

Hello,

I tried starting this thread under the reg. Princess board but was getting mis-information.

This is my first cruise on Princess and it seems to be less formal than what I have experienced on past ships. I am sailing in two weeks on the Tahitian and we have 2 formal nights, 2 smart casual nights, and 6 casual nights. I am looking to find out what the difference is in attire bewtween Casual & Smart casual?

Thank you,

Judith

Judith,

There are no casual nights. There are two formal nights and the rest are smart casual. There is a variety of dress, but I found it the same as any other cruise I've been on.

Renee

HI! Regarding your question on what to wear. This will be my second cruise, first one was on Grand Princess FEB 01 . I went and bought new cloths for me and my husband, nice shorts and shirts, new dress for the formal, new shirts ,slacks, and ties and sports jacket for my husband. When we got on the cruise, we were over dressed. The people were wearing jean shorts, t-shirts. However people did dress for the formal nights. We are going the Tahitian in April 9th 2006 and plan on taking several bathing suits, and shorts and shirts, and casual dress for dinner. Don't get me wrong I like to dress up once in awhile, but not with humidity!! I own a lot of tropical style cloths, so that is what I will be taking. Why spend so much on being uncomfortable. Go and have a Wonderful time and don't worry about what others think.

:) :) :)

Tahitian Princess 04/09/06

Grand Princess 02/01 Eastern

HI! Regarding your question on what to wear. This will be my second cruise, first one was on Grand Princess FEB 01 . I went and bought new cloths for me and my husband, nice shorts and shirts, new dress for the formal, new shirts ,slacks, and ties and sports jacket for my husband. When we got on the cruise, we were over dressed. The people were wearing jean shorts, t-shirts. However people did dress for the formal nights. We are going the Tahitian in April 9th 2006 and plan on taking several bathing suits, and shorts and shirts, and casual dress for dinner. Don't get me wrong I like to dress up once in awhile, but not with humidity!! I own a lot of tropical style cloths, so that is what I will be taking. Why spend so much on being uncomfortable. Go and have a Wonderful time and don't worry about what others think.

There are no shorts in the diningroom for dinner. Collared shirts for men at least on resort casual nights. Formal nights tuxes to suits for men.

Hi Judith...I think we're on the same cruise..the 8/2/05 sailing right?

Here's what I'm bringing: Port days- bathing suits and shorts/T-shirts or tank tops. We're planning on spending most of our port time in the water, so I probably have more shorts and shirts than I need.

At-sea days- shorts and slightly nicer tops.

Casual evenings- sundresses, flirty skirts and knit tops, capris and tops. Hubby is wearing dockers type slacks with tropical shirts or polos.

Formal evenings- Cocktail dresses. Hubby wearing dark suit and tie.

I'm trying to avoid overpacking, but its hard to do! My skirt and capri evening outfits can be mixed/matched so I don't have to bring 10 complete outfits. And I'm planning on doing a bit of laundry on one of the sea days, so I'll definitely be wearing some things more than once.

Now I'm trying to decide if 3 bathing suits will be enough, or should I get a 4th?

Michelle

There are no shorts in the diningroom for dinner. Collared shirts for men at least on resort casual nights. Formal nights tuxes to suits for men.

I think you missed understood, in the diningroom for dinner there were no shorts, however walking around the ship in the day, there were plenty of people wearing them, which was a little surprising for us.

ms_ shell, sounds perfect to me, we ahve beenon twice and are going again in 07. next time, we will pack less and take advantage of the laundry service on the ship. with the very warm temps and high humidity, we ran through our clothing very fast since we spent the majority of our time outside.

we did take formals/tuxedo along, since we are inside for dinner the heat & humidity are not an issue.

We plan to bring casual and smart casual clothes. And lots of bathing suits and T's. I am going to skip formal nights on TP. We will be there simply to relax, and dressing up is not our favorite thing.

(There is no need to tell me to stay clear of public rooms on formal nights. I totally get it. I am just sharing / chatting about our specific plans. Thanks.)

I think using the ship's laundry service (strategically of course) is a really great idea. That way, your favorite clothes can be worn twice, and your luggage has more room for the fun stuff (the snorkels, masks, fins, vests!) Thanks for bringing this (obvious but no-so-obvious) idea back to my attention!

J.

Since we are talking clothes and laundry specific to the TP..I had a few questions for you all who have done this?

1. Are the laundry facilities crowded? were there days that you could not get any laundry done. We are on deck 7 and just down the hall from the laundry room..so I am hoping we can get in there fast. Are they closed any certain hours?

Specific to women:

2. I have a bunch of pareos(sarongs) I collect them on our tropical trips..so I was hoping I would be okay wearing those as a cover up with a tee on top and swimsuit under on our excursions..any problem with that? I usually tie around my waist and knot on the side as a skirt. Do women wear them on deck or walking around the ship? I assume they would NOT be dining room attire for even smart casual..but just walking around the ship, by the pool, in the other public areas, etc.

3. I am planning to wear mostly linen..I have linen pants, linen skirts(I know..crazy wrinkly..but they are light weight)..anyone uncomfy in linen there?

4. Anyone know if at the Marche they saw straw beach hats that had the neck cord? I saw a picture someone took that showed straw hats..but wondering if any had the cord so my hat does not blow away. I would rather not pack one and just buy there.

I think that was it!

we didn't use them but had friends that did and said ti was no problem. Pareos are definitely suitable! I know there are straw hats there but c't help with the cord thing. why not just bring a cord along and attach it to a new hat?

I think you missed understood, in the diningroom for dinner there were no shorts, however walking around the ship in the day, there were plenty of people wearing them, which was a little surprising for us.

Are you AKA Hot in Ariz? Yes, I thought you or they meant diningroom at night. When we were on the Tahitian, day time almost everyone had shorts on and even t-shirts in the diningroom. It was really relaxed during the day.

Maygoddess,

Didn't do any laundry. Not my idea of vacation. Sent one pair of my husband's pants to be done.

I bought a pareo in Papeete and wore it often around the ship. Even to the diningroom for lunch. I figured it covered me up as much or more than some other outfits. I did not see anyone wearing them on excursions.

I bought myself a straw hat in the Marche. We went through there twice, the day of embarkation and the day of disembarkation and I didn't see any hats with strings. Sorry.

Yes, it is hot here!! You would think after living here for 33 years, I would be used to it, but this has been a Hot Summer.

Have you used Air Tahiti Nui? Are the Coach seats comfortable? My husband is 6'6' and I'm hoping it will be a little better than most airlines??

Thanks Julie

Are you AKA Hot in Ariz? Yes, I thought you or they meant diningroom at night. When we were on the Tahitian, day time almost everyone had shorts on and even t-shirts in the diningroom. It was really relaxed during the day.

Hi Judith...I think we're on the same cruise..the 8/2/05 sailing right?

Here's what I'm bringing: Port days- bathing suits and shorts/T-shirts or tank tops. We're planning on spending most of our port time in the water, so I probably have more shorts and shirts than I need.

At-sea days- shorts and slightly nicer tops.

Casual evenings- sundresses, flirty skirts and knit tops, capris and tops. Hubby is wearing dockers type slacks with tropical shirts or polos.

Formal evenings- Cocktail dresses. Hubby wearing dark suit and tie.

I'm trying to avoid overpacking, but its hard to do! My skirt and capri evening outfits can be mixed/matched so I don't have to bring 10 complete outfits. And I'm planning on doing a bit of laundry on one of the sea days, so I'll definitely be wearing some things more than once.

Now I'm trying to decide if 3 bathing suits will be enough, or should I get a 4th?

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Yes, we are on the same cruise and only 8 days to go before we leave for FP!! Getting so excited. Your clothes sound great, but I would probably get 1 more swim suit. I know when I haven't I have looked back at pictures and felt like I wore the same thing everyday. LOL I tried to get another one myself yesterday and the stores are just about sold out of them. Couldn't find anything yet. Will look again on Saturday.

I usually find I am in swimsuits and wraps during the day and end up bringing too many shorts too. Last cruise I took less and it worked out well.

My husband & I don't mind dressing up. He has to for work everyday anyway so he tends to have more dress up clothes. I actually had to go out and get him polo casual shirts for the cruise. He was shocked when I told him he only needed his suits and no jackets or ties for semi formal night becuase there were none. Hubby just got a new suit so he wants to take 2 suits a different one for each formal night. I hope there is room in the suitcases. I have a new gown for one formal night and a cocktail dress for the other. I will bring capri pants for casual night then and I am bringing some dresses, skirts and tops that might be a bit dressier than casual but I don't care.

I just hope I manage to pack everything at least a day in advance this time. Usually I start at like 1am the night before we leave then just stay up all night until our flight. With traveling so far away this time I don't want to forget anything so I want to start sooner.

See you soon,

Judith

Archived