New alcohol rules ?

Memsy87

Hey everyone,

I've been Away from the forums for quite a while. Anyone care to update me on the new alcohol regulations on RC ships? You're allowed to bring alcohol on board now?

Thanks

Only two 750ml bottles of wine, at initial embarkation only.

cabin

Aww ok. Suppose it's better than nothing eh?

Any suggestions as to where the best place to buy wine/champagne close to Fort Lauderdale port?

We won't have a car so anywhere within walking distance would be handy

Only two 750ml bottles of wine, at initial embarkation only.

I'm assuming you can only consume the wine in your stateroom? If you take the unopened bottle to the dining room, there's a corkage fee?

Something I've noticed is that port security checks your carryons, not the cruise line.

I wonder what would prevent you from carrying two bottles on, and putting two more in your suitcase (even if your suitcase gets put in the naughty room, you should get those bottles back no?).

I could care less as I don't drink wine, but it seems like you could conceivably get 4 bottles on-board without much effort.

Two per passenger or cabin ?

I'm assuming you can only consume the wine in your stateroom? If you take the unopened bottle to the dining room, there's a corkage fee?

If you take the bottle (opened or unopened) to a public venue, you are subject to a $25 per bottle fee.

And if you take a glass in your hand from your opened bottle (from your cabin) to shorten the queuing time for MTD? There should be no corkage fee then?

Fees are only for bottles, not glasses.

Something I've noticed is that port security checks your carryons, not the cruise line.

I wonder what would prevent you from carrying two bottles on, and putting two more in your suitcase (even if your suitcase gets put in the naughty room, you should get those bottles back no?).

I could care less as I don't drink wine, but it seems like you could conceivably get 4 bottles on-board without much effort.

From RCCL website:

: "Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them."

While one may "get away" with concealing wine in checked luggage, one may never see it again. If found, they may hold it until the end of the cruise, might destroy it, or one might miss the cruise. Seems like each year, each cruise line is becoming more strict regarding bringing wine on board and the rules seem to be more standardized across the cruise lines.

Edited by cayugashue

Aww ok. Suppose it's better than nothing eh?

Any suggestions as to where the best place to buy wine/champagne close to Fort Lauderdale port?

We won't have a car so anywhere within walking distance would be handy

Best selection I've found in Fort Lauderdale, and it's very close to the port, is Total Wine.

Best selection I've found in Fort Lauderdale, and it's very close to the port, is Total Wine.
But the port is very large. Nothing outside the port is walkable from the pier. If you are taking a taxi to the pier, a stop at Total is feasible for maybe a $5 wait fee assuming you have some idea what you want.

Alcohol is no longer permitted on RCI ships, they have adopted the 2014 Dry Dock accord.

LOL!! This made me spill my coffee!!!

Can you imagine the threads (especially given how many smoking threads keep popping up) if this was the case??

But the port is very large. Nothing outside the port is walkable from the pier. If you are taking a taxi to the pier, a stop at Total is feasible for maybe a $5 wait fee assuming you have some idea what you want.

Good point. Forgot to mention I stay at a hotel 2 blocks away from Total Wine and pick stuff up the day before.

You can browse and order online then just collect on the way to the ship:)

It needs to be in your hand luggage, they are not happy if you put it in the checked bags and will call you to the naughty room

I took wine on in FLL no problem

What I did learn was:

Ask for wine glasses from the Steward

Pick up an extra glass from the restaurant so that if you want to carry wine around, you are not using the glass from the cabin - the ones in the cabins are distinctive to those in the bars

Get an wine bucket for it or clear the fridge for white wine or you wonlt be able to chill it

From RCCL website:

: "Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them."

While one may "get away" with concealing wine in checked luggage, one may never see it again. If found, they may hold it until the end of the cruise, might destroy it, or one might miss the cruise. Seems like each year, each cruise line is becoming more strict regarding bringing wine on board and the rules seem to be more standardized across the cruise lines.

RCI has actually loosened up their policy - one could not bring any wine onboard until just over a year ago. Other lines (e.g. Princess) are allowing more, but will charge corkage for extra bottles, and they are quite good at enforcing the policy, at least in the port of Los Angeles.

As far as I know, there is no requirement that you carry your wine onboard. It's probably a better idea to reduce the risk of breakage in your checked bag, but anybody who wishes to check their two bottles of wine is operating within the rules.

And I would put money on the proposition that nobody will be turned away or disembarked for having more bottles than they are entitled to. The bottles may be taken away and returned at the end of the cruise (or not), but I don't think that such a harsh penalty would be levied.

From RCCL website:

Got to love control C and control V , makes for fast work of plugging up threads

From RCCL website:

: "Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. ..."

Does this say that you are NOT allowed to bring anything that you can drink on board ?

I just left BoS and was able to bring my mineral water (with bubbles) and my own orange juice (to consume during breakfirst in Windjammer).

My bags were inspected and after checking I was allowed to keep the water as well as the juice.

So was I just lucky ?

I can hardly believe that non-alcoholic is also on the no-go list!

Edited by ChristianDecker

Does this say that you are NOT allowed to bring anything that you can drink on board ?

I just left BoS and was able to bring my mineral water (with bubbles) and my own orange juice (to consume during breakfirst in Windjammer).

My bags were inspected and after checking I was allowed to keep the water as well as the juice.

So was I just lucky ?

I can hardly believe that non-alcoholic is also on the no-go list!

Correct, the rule is that no beverage other than the two bottles of wine can be brought on board. However, the majority of the time, they choose not to enforce that rule with regard to water and soda.