Christmas market cruisers - what did you buy?

zuzu5

Hi,

We're sailing the Danube (Nuremburg, Regensburg, Melk, Passau, Vienna, Budapest) on a 2014 Christmas market cruise and are planning to bring close to empty suitcases. ;)

Would those of you who have recently sailed share your purchases, shopping recommendations, or tips?

We're looking forward to the food as well....it's going to be a long 11 month wait!

Thanks!:)

We just returned from The Heart of Germany cruise the week before Christmas which sailed from Nuremberg to Frankfurt and then spent two days in Cologne. We collect Santa Clause ornaments and came home with 30 new ones, many of them handmade. Here are some observations:

Not all Christmas markets are the same. Some gear themselves toward ornaments, nutcrackers, nativities, candles, etc., while others were geared more towards gifts such as scarves, sweaters, slippers, etc.. Some of the larger ones had everything. All had food areas which were usually in their own section of the market. They featured local meats, candies and of course gluhwein (mulled wine served hot) and beer.

If you see something you like, buy it. It may or may not be available at a market at a future stop.

Pack prepared for breakables. We always pack some bubble wrap, tape and small scissors, along with a large shopping bag. All are light and easily fit anywhere in our suitcase going over and you don't have to worry about finding these items if needed in a foreign country to get fragile items home.

In addition to the markets we ran across a great Christmas store, Kathe Wohlfahrt, in almost all of the German cities on our itinerary. The stores had a great selection of very nice ornaments and other Christmas items.

Hope this helps and the trip will be here before you know it!

I just returned from Uniworld's Rhine Holiday cruise. I mainly enjoyed the atmosphere of the Markets almost more than the actual items for sale. It was great to see locals as well as tourists enjoying themselves. Occasionally, I got a sense of redundancy as far as the items for sale were concerned although each market had its own personality. I got gluhwein in each town in order to keep the Christmas cups as mementos for each place! And I agree your trip will be upon you sooner than you think......

Don't forget to leave time to soak in a thermal bath in Budapest at the end of your trip!

We were on the Avalon Christmastime in Germany & Austria. We left Frankfurt on 22/12 so missed most of the markets, however while in Munich at the Viktualienmarket I purchased a prune man (head is a walnut and body are prunes) and a spice ball. I didn't think I would get them through customs on my return. I declared I had food/nuts and they were allowed through. I would have liked to buy some more spice decorations but didn't think I'd get them through. I took photos in case I didn't. The new year markets at the Schonbrunn palace in Vienna had a good variety of items - would have liked to buy more especially some of the glass decorations.

Hope the photos can be viewed below

IMGP0650v2.jpg.3bf2d8693e8e3c4ef364ea683344b08f.jpg

IMGP0474v2.jpg.99008b8aa0e3ce0ec84eaba526a178fa.jpg

Prune people are a great favorite of mine--have had one since 2008--still in great condition. It is part of my Santa collection and gets put away in in a closet in an a/c room. Check out the supermarkets in the towns--great mustards and chocolates. The glugwein and sausages become a food group on one of these trips. We will take our 3rd Christmas market trip in Dec. Another thing that doesn't take up a lot of space are the beautiful tablerunners. I also try to find yarn and usually succeed. Pat

We sailed on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam. I'm not sure if the CMs on the Danbue will be different from one another like on the Rhine. But I second the thought: if you see it and want it BUY it!!!

Now, what did we buy: some ornaments, about 3euro each, for friends - they looked like "cookies" and perfect since all my friends get Christmas Cookies from us!

Also bought ornaments for our daughter and SIL - they lost all theirs in hurrican Sandy - apartment house basement was flooded.

In Cologne we found fabulous stalls selling food: cheese - packed for planes, we had to buy some. Also mustard pots - could sample some and it was great - bought for our son, daughter & us! We bought some wine in Strasbourg and also a stork ornament, its the symbol of the city since they nest there! Also in Cologne, 4711 cologne wipes for a firend, along with gingerbread cookies. And, for our grandchildren, the silliest Santa climbing a rope - everyone just loved it!! In Heidleberg we found adorable ornaments - a king, a jester, a woman - where you pull the cord at the bottom and their arms and legs go out - didn't see them any place else and also small colorful candle holders. Our friend bought a wooden tree with small ornaments in the Black Forest.

In Basel we bough Swiss chocolate at the train station and at the CM little votive candle holder that came with an attachment that went round and round while the candle burned.

There's SO much to buy it all depends on your taste, and pocketbook, what you bring home!!!

zuzu5, Over on the river cruise roll there is a thread for all Christmas markets all lines 2014. If you join you just might find someone on your cruise. Scott has a detailed list of sailings and people on them. There is also info about things to buy. We are going on our 3rd Christmas market trip this Dec. Pat

Okay. I am going to really put myself out there. I LOVED my Christmas cruise with my daughter last year for a multitude of reasons but not as much for items I bought. For the surroundings, hills around Salzburg, lovely European Christmas music I heard everywhere, for the ship, towns, cities. Yes there are trinkets you can buy as souvenirs everywhere but if you look here you can find similar, ex,. glass blown ornaments. I picked up nice souvenirs at Schonbrunn's market in Vienna....lovely apricot brandies as stuffers, lebkuchen that was truly echt(real), chocolates with different topping on them which I see is now the trend here in Canada in better confectionary stores. Having said that...the quality of the chocolate varied so for 15E a large bar be sure you sample. And food that can be bought to eat while there.....must try the zwetchenknodel(plum dumplings) in Salzburg and the Kaiserschmarn(raisin spice type of pancake-to die for). Budapest had very unique things I must say but I just did not feel like carting home a dried fruit and spice wreath although it was lovely. The Kathe Wohlfahrt stores don't do much for me...maybe because we have here at home a couple larger delis that carry Christmas "stuff" such as they have. I would be tempted to visit shops that carry christmas instrumental music...CDs..music is lovely and a pleasant change from here...love ours too. The shop in the Dom or cathedral in Passau had such CDs and Salzburg has lots. In Hungary you can pick up foil wrapped candy to hang on your tree or to give to others upon your return. It's a Hungarian tradition and you can go more reasonable and purchase them by the kilo in their big city market or get them in little packages at the Christmas market. Oh, and the brand of Austrian chocolate called Zotter is found at the Salzburg market....lovely different types of chocolate worth picking up for stockings at home. You won't find the unusual organic flavour mixes anywhere else. Hope this helps.