Princess Ship for RCI Fan?

digital_curator

My husband and I have only taken one cruise, on RCI's Navigator of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) last January. We loved this ship for it's many activities and wide selection of lounges and dining spots.

I can't wait to cruise again and while I am tempted to stick with RCI, I like the longer cruise options of Princess.

So if there is someone out there who has cruised RCI's Voyager Class ships, could you possibly recommend a ship that we will like as much with Princess, for either an extended W. or S. Caribbean itinerary?

We are Canadian so leaving out of NY or Florida is our cheapest air options.

Thanks in advance,

D_C, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison at best. NOS is one of the largest ships currently sailing, and has the full slate of RCI's entertainment features (ice skating, rock wall, etc.). If your options are Princess' Sun-class ships sailing 10-day itineraries from FLL, you will be looking at a smaller and somewhat older ship with a completely different feel and different design philosophy. At some risk of being flamed, I will also say that the Sun-class ships are built for an entirely different cruise experience. One thing you will definitely note is that the cabins in all categories are probably a little smaller than what you are used to. Shipbuilding architecture changed radically in the few years that separate the Sun-class and Voyager-class ships.

Whether or not the changes are for the better are a matter of debate. If you choose a Sun-class ship expecting to get RCI, you'll be disappointed. If you can approach the cruise with an open mind, and focus on things other than comparisons of the ship's layout and features, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. If I can borrow from another ad campaign, the Sun-class ships have everything you need, and nothing you don't.

I have cruised on both the Navigator & the Adventurer. We also just cruised on the Golden last year and while this ship was close to the same size as Navigator it just didn't have the wow factor like the RCCL ships have. We actually found ourselves getting a little bored on the ship after about 4-5 days as there was not nearly enough activities like on RCCL. We are trying the Coral in November for the 10 day and hope this will be much better.

We've cruised Princess Grand class ships - Golden Princess and soon to cruise the Star Princess. I think they usually cruise 7 days. We absolutely loved the ship....it was huge.

Many lounges, pools, spa, golfing, etc. No skating rink or climbing wall though.

It depends on what you like to do. We enjoyed the terrific shows, the lounges, food - anytime dining.

The rooms were very spacious, we had a balcony stateroom, it was more room than I expected. We never felt cramped.

We haven't cruised the Sun class ships and I believe these are the longer cruises.

Hope you have a wonderful time on whichever ship you chose.

You may consider a back to back (2 seven days to 2 different itineraries) on a one of the Princess grand ships. I know the Carribean Princess does a 14 day (7day Eastern and 7 day Western). I think there may be a ship that does a 14 day (2 seven day itineraries) on the souther carribean route with different islands each week. I think if you liked the Voyager class on RCCL you'd be better off for now with Princess' grand type ships.

also, its interesting abou the activity/boredom factor. Alot depends on what you like to do. We found that on our last cruise on the Navigator, on the last day at sea, we were bored. We'd already played mini golf, don't want to even think about the climbing wall. So alot depends on your taste. If you like to read and relax during the day then either ship will be fine. Both have alot of evening activities. Both have daytime activities, just depends on what kind of activities you enjoy.

Seems like most Royal and Carnival cruisers tend to gravitate towards the Caribbean Princess.

Scott

Scott, why do you think that.:confused: Is it because there is more to do? Just curious because we haven't cruised any other line but Princess and haven't done Carribean yet. :D Thanks

I have sailed on several RCCL ships, including the Adventurer of the Seas, which is Voyager class. I have also sailed on a couple of Princess ships (the Grand herself when she was sailing out of Ft Lauderdale, and the Coral) Also have done some research on other Princess ships. The closest to Voyager class would be a Grand Class ship.

I think the Caribbean would be a good choice to dip your toe into the Princess experience. It won't be the exact same experience as RCCL but each cruise line is different, but there are many similiarities between RCCL, Princess, and Carnival.

Scott, why do you think that.:confused: Is it because there is more to do? Just curious because we haven't cruised any other line but Princess and haven't done Carribean yet. :D Thanks

I agree with Scott. My observation based on the posts here is that those who are trying Princess for the first time, after having some experience with RCI and to a lesser extent Carnival (no, it's NOT scientific and I didn't keep a count ;) ) and seem to gravitate towards Caribbean Princess. CB is dedicated and built solely for Caribbean cruising, so it has to compete with what the other big mass-market lines are offering. Perhaps Crown Princess will go a little further in trying to capture that WOW factor so many have found lacking in CB. I haven't done a comparison of pricing in a while, but at times I've seen CB priced a little lower than Star or Golden Princess for essentially the same cruise. Don't read anything negative in that statement, please. The 7-day Caribbean cruise market is competitive and price-driven IMO. Families who cruise can reap big savings even with a minor price differential, once you multiply those savings by three or four.

I agree with punjab......the great thing about cruising is trying differant lines....they all offer the same type of vacation but each line has its little things they are known for......if you are swayed by a WOW factor of a ships design you will be disappointed with Princess. If you like freah water in your pools you will like Princess.

If you want to eat anytime you will like Princess.....if you like Johnny Rockets better stay with RCI.....cheaper coke cards on Princess.

All small things but none of the above change my cruise experience.

I think Princess is marketing heavier to a younger population and maybe thats why more Carnival people are trying Princess.

It wasn't that many years ago that I couldn't get a reasonable price on Princess and now its great.

I too have tried most major lines and would not return to Carnival or Norwegian, so see everyone has their reasons which is why people need to try the differant lines for themselves.

Just my observation from the posts on here. I think the Caribbean Princess interests that particular market segment more than some of the other Princess ships.

Scott

I agree - apples to oranges. It's just a different experience. We have sailed on NCL, Princess, Celebrity, RCI, Carnival and this Oct Holland America. They are ALL different. Good and bad on each.

Best cruise we've taken - Celebrity (Century), very close second Princess (Grand).

Worst Cruise - NCL Dawn & Carnival

We are basically Celebrity/Princess people. However, we are always open minded to new experiences. Can't wait to try HAL.

Since you have only cruised once, try Princess before booking RCCL again. After cruising VOS and then CB, we love RCCL better. Thought the theater was bigger and better and their were more activities to do on the ship. We also love the Royal Promenade.

We are doing a repeat cruise on CB again this year only because we have friends that were booked on the cruise and my wife wanted to cruise with them. Don't get me wrong, we loved CB and had an awesome time last year. We don't regret having to sail her again this year and will most likely book another Princess cruise in the future. Next year we will be back on RCCL. We just love the ship layout better on RCCL and it seems they have more activities to keep you busy.

We have sailed 3 Voyager class ships and although we did not use the rock wall or in line skating we really liked the Promenade......wish they could put a smaller version on other ships.

Overheard a teenager talking on her cell phone day of sailing...."this looks like a big hotel with a mall"

Thought that was so funny.

Archived