Miami pre- and post-cruise ideas?

BayAreaCruisers4

We are flying into MIA the night before our February cruise - expected to reach the Hyatt Regency Miami about 8pm. We can board between 11am-2pm Sunday, so we'll have a few hours the night before and most of the next morning in downtown Miami.

Our cruise returns to Miami at 8am and our flight doesn't leave MIA till 8:30pm.

I'm looking for ideas for our family of four (us and our two kids, 14 and 17) both before and after the cruise. We've never been to Miami before. I was thinking of an fan boat tour, but not sure what else. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

We are flying into MIA the night before our February cruise - expected to reach the Hyatt Regency Miami about 8pm. We can board between 11am-2pm Sunday, so we'll have a few hours the night before and most of the next morning in downtown Miami.

Our cruise returns to Miami at 8am and our flight doesn't leave MIA till 8:30pm.

I'm looking for ideas for our family of four (us and our two kids, 14 and 17) both before and after the cruise. We've never been to Miami before. I was thinking of an fan boat tour, but not sure what else. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy, neighbor! I am interested in the answers from Miami experts also. Meanwhile, I wanted to add my two cents worth, and that is that the day after your cruise you have time for an Everglades tour. The cruise lines offer them with airport transfers, which is what we are planning, although there may be better options.

That's what we mean to do (I called it a fan boat tour). :-) The trouble with the excursion off the ship is that it also includes an airport transfer. The tour itself may last only two hours and I don't want to be dropped off at the airport and have to wait around for 6 to 7 hours for our flight.

I've heard good things about http://www.miamibeach411.com. I'm wondering if they could pick us up at the port and take us for a day long tour, including the Everglades tour.

Post cruise I would cab to MIA, pay to store your bags there, and then catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach for only $2.35 each. Enjoy the beach, lunch, drinks, people watching, etc. and then bus back to MIA in the afternoon for your flight.

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to book the Big Bus hop-on / hop-off excursion from Carnival when we return to Miami. It gives us early debarkation and they'll hang onto our luggage all day while we tour Miami. At the end of the day we collect our luggage and board a coach for MIA. $49.99/pp. This will give us the flexibility to visit the spots we're interested in. Has anyone else done Big Bus tours?

We've been to Florida several times, but this is our first time to Miami. Looking forward to it! Wish we could fit in an Everglades tour, too.

Carnival Conquest 2/16/2014

Princess Dawn Princess 2/16/2007

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 12/26/2005

Carnival Paradise 3/4/2005

Carnival Elation 4/13/2003

Norwegian SS Norway 8/3/1991