Wind on the Hump?

BosoxI

That is the answer. Direction also makes a difference. it cannot get any plainer.

It can be very windy or none at all.

On a recent Reflection TA, crossing the pond we were doing 20 kts, and there was a 20 kt wind behind us. It was relatively calm up at the Sunset Bar.

Having sailed on the forward hump several times, the partitions pretty much block the majority of the wind. Never had any problems with wind sitting outside there.

Having sailed on the forward hump several times, the partitions pretty much block the majority of the wind. Never had any problems with wind sitting outside there.

Thank you for the helpful response. Of course natural wind makes a difference to any balcony but sailing into a 20 knot wind made me wonder about using the balcony of a partly forward facing cabin.

Edited by BosoxI

We were on a forward hump on our Nov. transatlantic cruise. Wind was never a problem. As a matter of fact, I found more wind on the aft facing hump balconies on a similiar trip.

We were on a forward hump on our Nov. transatlantic cruise. Wind was never a problem. As a matter of fact, I found more wind on the aft facing hump balconies on a similiar trip.

And thank you, too. Nothing like hearing from the voice of experience. For better or worse, we're spending two weeks in a Solstice class 1606. I'm sure we'll love it

And thank you, too. Nothing like hearing from the voice of experience. For better or worse, we're spending two weeks in a Solstice class 1606. I'm sure we'll love it

We were in that stateroom on Solstice for a 2009 TA. Loved the big balcony and convenient location. We had no wind problems.

Just returned from Eastern Caribbean Silhouette cruise and we were in cabin 9270,first off the hump forward , starboard , and our friends were in the three other forward on the slant (9268, 9266, 9264) and we had the partitions open between all the cabins on the forward slant and no problem with wind at all.

We thought it would be a great room, but did find the wind somewhat distracting. It seemed that we were always heading into a headwind and generally had to sit behind the partition. Really meant there was no difference having the hump except in port. Actually 1608 was quite noisy with two pool deck parties above us.

We were in 1606 on the Equinox last spring for the TA and following Med cruise. We loved the hump balcony and location. I suspect you will indeed love it!