Penn Station or Grand Central to Port ?

Ascott318

I plan on taking train from either Beacon to Grand Central ,or Poughkeepsie to Penn Station .And then hail a cab to cruise Port.I am a country girl and not too familiar with train system.Which one would be best ? Thanks for any help.

I assume the Manhattan cruise port?

I'd probably go to Penn Station. You're already close to the west side and won't have to deal with cross town traffic. From Grand Central, depending on time of day, you can run into some issues getting a cab to go across Manhattan.

Penn station sounds like Amtrak where you might get help with your bags if needed.

Grand Central is commuter railroad only, no help with baggage. Some trains arrive on the lower level at Grand Central so you may face going up a few stairs to a ramp or know the trick of walking to the front of the train on the lower level (under the stair/ramp) to where it is ramp only or ramp to an elevator.

As stated by markeb Grand Central you have the crosstown traffic to deal with.

There is price, I'm sure Amtrak costs much more than Metro North and Metro North also runs from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central.

Thanks ,think I will do Amtrak into Penn Station. Beacon is closer for me but would rather do what is best. Been all over the world but finally had my 1st trip to the city on a train to Grand Central last year. finally got to see Times Square! No I am wrong I was in Mt Sanai for 6 weeks last March from ruptured brain aneurysm but don't remember being there. But I am a survivor!

GC or Penn over to the Manhattan cruise terminal is not that great of a difference for the station to be the deal breaker. (IMHO) I'd choose based on train departure times that better suit you. Also, Amtrack (to Penn) is probably going to cost more, but the car and seats will be much more comfy and if you need any assistance with luggage it would be available at Penn and not GC.