Which side is better?

theking329

I am planning on booking the Pride for my birthday cruise (Aug 2014) and need some help. Which side of the ship is better? I am booking a balcony cabin and have heard mixed reviews regarding the better side of the ship. Some say the Port side is better - you see the islands as you pass, and others claim the starboard is the best side. Could someone give me an answer. Even when I called Norweigian (twice), they gave me two different answers. HELP!!!

You'll be sailing through many channels with views of the islands on both sides, such as between Maui and Lanai or Maui and the Big Island. In Kona (a tender port) the ship tends to "hover" off shore and will rotate slowly during the day giving both port and starboard sea and shore views. So IMHO it doesn't matter.

However, if your budget will allow, a stern cabin would be very special for your birthday as you get both port and starboard scenery and watching the wake trail out behind the ship from your balcony as you sail is a magical experience and wonderful for reflecting on the day, your life, and the wonders of the world with your morning coffee or evening cocktail.

By the way, I have a home on the Big Island and want to say that you made a great birthday choice by combining cruising and Hawaii for your birthday. Message me if you want some less touristy things to do on the Kona side of the island but if you've not ever seen it, on the Hilo side don't miss a trip to the Volcano. It's fascinating. Happy Birthday. :)

A great deal would depend on the itinerary.

Views from your cabin or anywhere else on the ship.

At sea not a big deal water everywhere.

East-West cruises not much for sunrise/set.

North-South can be a sun lovers romantic factor.

For coastal cruises the side facing land is prime.

Round trips you share the views going one way then the other.

Most ships are able to board and debark on either side.

Trips thru a canal maybe not so much which side but up on top deck

and then bow and stern.

That being noted:

So you are planning on sailing on the Pride (NCL Pride of America) in

August of 2014 - The POA is permanently on station in the Hawaiian Islands.

I would review the Cruise Critic Roll Call of the POA and browse the

topics discussed for clues as to which side is preferred over another.

Noted that when the POA cruises the cliffs of Na Pali on the Island of Kauai

the ship from what others have wrote does a 180 degree turn and reverses

direction so everyone on either side gets a splendid view of these cliffs without

leaving the comfort of their cabin.

You are always welcome to go to the top deck and take in the views all around.

Cruising in August should result in great photo opts with minimal weather

factor (pineapple mist rain showers).

And "ALOHA" *!*

Thank you all very much. I guess as long as I'm aboard, it really doesnt matter. I have looked into getting a stern balcony (at last look they all seem to be sold out). I am so looking forward to this trip and seeing all the wonders that Hawaii has to offer - Spent my 49th in the 49th state now it will be my 50th in the 50th! :D.

We've been on the POA twice, and will have our third cruise in April!

We've had port side each time. Port side does give you a view of the Napali coastline. And give you a great view of Kona when tendered. Starboard is best for the lava sailby

Have a great time!

We've been on the POA twice, and will have our third cruise in April!

We've had port side each time. Port side does give you a view of the Napali coastline. And give you a great view of Kona when tendered. Starboard is best for the lava sailby

Have a great time!

We were on the POA in December. No lava, so no lava sail by. We had an aft cabin, but if they are sold out I would go with Port side. The Napali coast was beautiful! Since we sailed on a short winter day we got to see the sun set into the ocean as the boat turned around. Then it was getting dark, so the second sail by wasn't quite the same. But I imagine that will be very different in August! Have fun!