Just of the Zuiderdam--questions?

stlouistravelers

I guess what most people would like to know is your cabin number and did the a/c and plumbing work well?;)

I am just off this same cruise. I was in 7054 port side. It was for me and my wife an excellent cruise with no issues. Nor did I hear of any complaints from my fellow passengers. Air conditioning and plumbing worked just fine. Crew, cleanliness of ship & services were excellent. The ship built in 2002 is showing a little wear and tear (to be expected) BUT no big deal all minor to me and I may be knitpicking. I would not hesitate to sail her again!

bob

I guess the big question is about the air conditioning and the toilets. I have to admit that issue is putting us off of booking on the Zuiderdam. We were thinking of doing the Panama Canal cruise on her, but after reading so much about the ac problems we are looking at other cruises. Both my husband and I like a cool room, especially at night for sleeping. A overly warm cabin would be very unpleasant for us. So for any recent Zuiderdam cruisers, how was the ac?

How was the food (Lido, MDR and Pinnacle Grill)? If you went to Pinnacle Grill, would you recommend it?

How was the entertainment?

Thanks! Looking forward to reading your review.

The following is just MY opinion so don't shoot the messenger....lol

I dinned at the Pinnacle six times, Cannaletto twice and the MDR Open seating. The menu at Pinnacle & Cannaletto as stated in other threads has been changed. My wife's heavenly lobster is no longer available on any night. Steaks cooked to prefection service from Franco, Wendy, Rocky and Dianha exceptional. Never had to wait for reservation taken in right away. Cannaletto is now family style with small plates shared. I am going to try to get this part right if I am wrong someone please correct me. You pick from a list two appertizers, two pasta dishes and one large entree. Food was good, choices limited, topped it off with a bottle of Cannaletto Merlot. MDR was good we had open seating and requested a table for two with no problem. Service and food was good. First night in the waiter offered to assign the table for us. I declined because of prior booked reservations.

Pesonally, I prefer the old Pinnacle and Cannaletto menu. But that's me. I will not book Pinnacle as much again same with Cannaletto may do that only once. The MDR was very good and I think I am going to use that more than not. I have no complaints about the MDR my reason to use the specialty restaurants was because of the discounts for my four star status.

In regards to the Lido food selection was OK the usual and the entertainment was the same IMO nothing special.

I made all my specialty restaurant reservations pre-cruise paid for them and received credit on my billing for star status.

bob

I dinned at the Pinnacle six times, Cannaletto twice and the MDR Open seating. The menu at Pinnacle & Cannaletto as stated in other threads has been changed. My wife's heavenly lobster is no longer available on any night. Steaks cooked to prefection service from Franco, Wendy, Rocky and Dianha exceptional. Never had to wait for reservation taken in right away. Cannaletto is now family style with small plates shared. I am going to try to get this part right if I am wrong someone please correct me. You pick from a list two appertizers, two pasta dishes and one large entree. Food was good, choices limited, topped it off with a bottle of Cannaletto Merlot. MDR was good we had open seating and requested a table for two with no problem. Service and food was good. First night in the waiter offered to assign the table for us. I declined because of prior booked reservations.

Pesonally, I prefer the old Pinnacle and Cannaletto menu. But that's me. I will not book Pinnacle as much again same with Cannaletto may do that only once. The MDR was very good and I think I am going to use that more than not. I have no complaints about the MDR my reason to use the specialty restaurants was because of the discounts for my four star status.

In regards to the Lido food selection was OK the usual and the entertainment was the same IMO nothing special.

I made all my specialty restaurant reservations pre-cruise paid for them and received credit on my billing for star status.

bob

Thanks for the reply. Glad I asked as I was not even aware of Cannaletto (haven't cruised with HAL before). Appreciate your time. :)

bob

Nice to hear the favorable MDR comments. We will be on the Zuiderdam in April. I am sure we will try the PG and Cannaletto at least once. Will be interesting to experience the new concept in Cannaletto.

How was the food (Lido, MDR and Pinnacle Grill)? If you went to Pinnacle Grill, would you recommend it?

How was the entertainment?

Thanks! Looking forward to reading your review.

The food in the Pinnacle Grill was excellent but the service is really slow due to reduced staffing.

This was the high point of the cruise. No Country Western but 50/60's music.

Nice to hear the favorable MDR comments. We will be on the Zuiderdam in April. I am sure we will try the PG and Cannaletto at least once. Will be interesting to experience the new concept in Cannaletto.

Personally, I think the food in the Zuiderdam MDR is the best of any of the HAL ships. The only drawback is the cutbacks in serving staff, which sometimes results in slow clearing of plates or serving of dessert.