Excursion to Baths by boat - cancelled

lisad63

We just returned from our cruise. One of the excursions I was looking forward to the most was a Snorkeling excursion to the Baths by boat. It said we would swim from boat to beach. Unfortunately, due to high winds and rough seas, that particular excursion was cancelled (along with snorkeling excursion to Jost Van Dyke).

If this is a must do for you and you plan to book through the cruise line, I would recommend the one where you travel to Virgin Gorda by boat, then are driven on land to the Baths. That excursion went as planned, but was full and we didn't get to go at all.

The ferry to VG is the most reliable option of them all, very sorry you and everyone else missed that opportunity to visit the Baths, that is really a shame.

No help right now I know, but if you ever get the urge to take a land vacation the flight into St Thomas and ferry to Tortola is very easy and allows much more time to enjoy a day trip to both the Baths and Josts.

Just a thought for next time! :)

We just returned from our cruise. One of the excursions I was looking forward to the most was a Snorkeling excursion to the Baths by boat. It said we would swim from boat to beach. Unfortunately, due to high winds and rough seas, that particular excursion was cancelled (along with snorkeling excursion to Jost Van Dyke).

If this is a must do for you and you plan to book through the cruise line, I would recommend the one where you travel to Virgin Gorda by boat, then are driven on land to the Baths. That excursion went as planned, but was full and we didn't get to go at all.

So sorry to hear this. Good to warn others. Having a plan B whether it is taxiing to a specific beach in Tortola or having the ferry schedule with you is also a good idea. You never know when your plans can get changed. Thanks for the heads up.

For those interested in the excursions that drop you off to swim into shore at the Baths, just a warning that we've seen it extremely rough when there and talked to very experienced swimmers (after they caught their breath) and they were surprised at the current and undertow. So would not recommend this for the typical swimmer, at least on days with rougher sea conditions. And you won't know the conditions until you arrive, unfortunately.

And weather can cancel these excursions more often than say the ferry option to Spanishtown and walk down from the Top of the Baths. I know folks want to get there first to beat the crowd, just beware these other risks exist with that choice.

Lisa, I hope you were able to enjoy a nice beach or island tour while on Tortola? Tortola is great in that you have a variety of beach options from secluded and empty to Lido deck busy in the event of a change.

[EDIT] - Don't mean to scare anyone off of course, the Baths are a very unique attraction and I would recommend a visit there for anyone visiting Tortola for the first time if they are interested. Just want to thank Lisa for posting this for others and also note the different problems one may encounter with these choices. There are operators that can beach for drop off but they are also dependent on sea conditions to some extent.

Edited by blue_water

We had to get wet when getting off and back on the boat when we went with Dion but there was no swimming involved. It was very easy and it was great not having to taxi and hike down. The view of the Baths, approaching from the water was spectacular.

For those interested in the excursions that drop you off to swim into shore at the Baths, just a warning that we've seen it extremely rough when there and talked to very experienced swimmers (after they caught their breath) and they were surprised at the current and undertow. So would not recommend this for the typical swimmer, at least on days with rougher sea conditions. And you won't know the conditions until you arrive, unfortunately.

And weather can cancel these excursions more often than say the ferry option to Spanishtown and walk down from the Top of the Baths. I know folks want to get there first to beat the crowd, just beware these other risks exist with that choice.

Lisa, I hope you were able to enjoy a nice beach or island tour while on Tortola? Tortola is great in that you have a variety of beach options from secluded and empty to Lido deck busy in the event of a change.

[EDIT] - Don't mean to scare anyone off of course, the Baths are a very unique attraction and I would recommend a visit there for anyone visiting Tortola for the first time if they are interested. Just want to thank Lisa for posting this for others and also note the different problems one may encounter with these choices. There are operators that can beach for drop off but they are also dependent on sea conditions to some extent.

Thanks for the additional details.

We hated missing the trip to the Baths, but were able to spend some time in Tortola at Cane Garden Bay beach. Not the views we had anticipated, but still a beautiful day in calmer water. Hopefully we'll be back to try for the Baths again.

Lisa

Great, CGB can be a fun spot and is actually a nice beach. It's a great spot to stay for a land-bases vacation as well because the best entertainment and happy hours are right there (trying to convince you to return for a longer visit :p).

I noticed you've been cruising just 2 years less than we have but you've been on 5 more cruises than us. We started taling more land-based vacations after being introduced to so many gorgeous islands through cruising, but we still like cruising as it's a different experience altogether.

I see you've also been on many different cruise lines. Do you have any favorite lines, or do they all have something you like?

Thanks!