Once you go on Allure/Oasis, is everything else a disappointment?

johnt83

Here's the thing....when you go on your next cruise and start comparing that cruise to Allure/Oasis, then yeah, you will be disappointed because you're looking for something that's not there. Just go with it and have fun!

Hey all,

I recently got off the Allure of the Seas in December and had an incredible time. The cruise was so much fun I still miss it daily, to the point where I see their webcam every now and then to see what people might be up to on the ship at any time during the day. I also look at videos and pics from my experience.

I've read/heard that once you go on Allure of the Seas (or Oasis of the Seas), any other ship you go on after will be somewhat of a disappointment - what are your thoughts on this? I do love the size of the ship and of the 5 cruises I've been on, this was my favorite one.

I am going on the Carnival Paradise in July with family members however that ship is so much smaller, will I be disappointed - or do you think it's something that I'll get used to? I love cruising so much it's hard to explain and it's hard for me to imagine not having a good time on a cruise.

I hope to join the ranks of you veteran cruisers as the years go by :) I'm also looking forward to having more of a presence in this wonderful cruising community.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Probably so since Allure/Oasis is the best.Then youre going on the Pride now thats a big letdown.

Edited by riclop

After my Allure cruise I can honestly say that I prefer smaller ships. My favorite ship is a Voyager class vessel. They are still huge, but smaller than Allure. It wasn't till I went out on the deck and looked at the water that I realized I was on a ship. Don't get me wrong, the cruise was great. However, you seem to sacrifice intimacy with size. This is a case where size does matter!

Elvis

I prefer Voyager class and Freedom class ships.

I think I might, too, but I loved the Oasis.

Honestly, I can't imagine going on a Fantasy class ship again after Freedom or Oasis (or even Radiance or Voyager class ship for that matter). It's just a totally different breed (and not in a good way).

You'll probably enjoy yourself if you go into it with the lowest of expectations, but don't expect much out of a cheap cruise on an old Carinival ship.

I've read/heard that once you go on Allure of the Seas (or Oasis of the Seas), any other ship you go on after will be somewhat of a disappointment - what are your thoughts on this? I do love the size of the ship and of the 5 cruises I've been on, this was my favorite one.

Not at all!

We had B2B cruise on the Allure and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Very different ships, but both excellent. Both are unique in their own way.

The Nieuw Amsterdam outclasses the Allure in many ways, but the Allure is incomparable in size and the number of sports facilities and the scale of the shows.

We cruise for ships, ports are secondary.

However, the itinerary we had on the Nieuw Amsterdam was fantastic.

Do we cruise for "fun"? I would rather say for "pleasure" - that does not exclude fun of course.

Watch videos - links in my signature.

The Allure videos will bring you back to the ship you like so much.

Watch video of Holland America best ships (MS Eurodam and MS Nieuw Amsterdam) - see if this is fun for you or not.

They are the most comfortable ships in the Caribbean. They are more relaxing that the Allure.

By no means it was a step down because that was a completely different product.

What will be a step down is the Quantum.

I love both RCI and HAL ships and always recommend a 14 days (7+7) from Fort Lauderdale on both ships for those who want to know what a real cruise life is.

The ship you are going to cruise in June cannot be compared to anything.

But! If a cruise is on the right time, from the right place for the right price - I go! I did book a similar cruise on a ship of the same class a couple of years ago. No problem because crruising is a pleasure.

Edited by cruisetrail

I´ve been on several Cruises after Oasis and no I was not disappointed. But then, while I was wow´ed from Oasis I had way more memorable cruise experiences than Oasis.

Don´t get me wrong, Oasis was great and I´m actually booked on her again, but I do enjoy the smaller ships and my favourites are still the Radiance and Vision class ships.

To me with Oasis the ship is the destination and the caribbean where she sails is just not offering a single memorable port to me.

However other ships give me a most comfortable way of travelling to exciting places around the world. If I had to Highlight some memorable Cruises it would be related to places like Russia, Iceland, Greenland, Australia, New Zealand, ...... just to Name a few.

I haven't sailed on Allure or Oasis (yet), just in the interest of full disclosure, but I agree with the folks who have said that a cruise (or any vacation for that matter) is what you make of it. If you're the type of person who can find ways to entertain himself/herself, you'll enjoy any ship from Majesty to Allure. Will you miss some of the amenities of Allure of Oasis if you sail on a smaller ship? Maybe. Could you still have a great time? Sure.

I'm with some of the others on preferring the smaller ships. Haven't been on Oasis/Allure yet, but here's why. We went on Liberty and had massive lines getting from the port onto the ship. I think everyone arrived at once! Then more lines everywhere onboard and getting on/off. It felt like even getting around the ship was a chore and we are young and in shape! I went ice skating once. The extra restaurants/pubs where nice, but didn't make it a must do again for us. At one stop we parked next to Oasis. Wow! Watching everyone wait to board made us say, "No thank you." We'll probably try it one day when DS can roam freely, but for now, the smaller ships suit us fine. I can fill my daily social calendar and still have time (and a place) to relax in peace and quiet. Go in with the right mindset and you will have a fabulous time!

We did a B2B Oasis/Allure. It was a great vacation. Then we did Serenade/ Celebrity MIillenium, and onto Grand Princess B2B2B 3 months later and enjoyed them all, for different reasons. All cruises have different things to offer. You choose your cruise for a reason. You are going on the Pride with family members... so you can enjoy your time with them... and the ship is a bonus. Don't even think about comparing the ships....it would be like comparing say a Cadillac with a Volkswagen...or Macy's to Walmart (you get my drift). A cruise is what you make of it. Go with the impression you are going to have a great time and it will happen!

Edited by debshomespun

Not at all!

We had B2B cruise on the Allure and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Very different ships, but both excellent. Both are unique in their own way.

The Nieuw Amsterdam outclasses the Allure in many ways, but the Allure is incomparable in size and the number of sports facilities and the scale of the shows.

Totally agree here. We were on the Allure in '11 and just cruised Nieuw Amsterdam in July on a B2B eastern/western Med. The two ships are completely different. RCI wows you with its engineering marvel while HAL wows you with a super-classy, elegant ship.

I used to cruise for the ship, but now I think I'll cruise for the itinerary. HAL's med itinerary wins over any others IMHO.

Going on the Freedom class for the first time in July only because it's a free cruise through our RCI Visa card. Planning to ditch the card as RCI has changed their Visa perks. Used our 125,000 points on a 7 night Allure cruise back in 11, and now they charge you a whole lot more... which means we probably won't be going back on Allure/Oasis for a long time... until prices come down. Voyager class ships are still my favorite over all, so we'll return to those.

Doesn't matter what I cruise on or where... I just choose to cruise! :D