What do with an extra day in Florida?

goofytoo

After I booked my airfare for a seven day cruise. I decided to sail a 6 day cruise on the Breeze instead. Now we have an extra day in Florida. I am actually flying home form Orlando because airfare was about $100 less per person. We go to Disney and Universal quite a bit, so I really don't want to hang out in Orlando.

Does anybody have any ideas of what would be a fun thing to do? There will be four of us DH(61), DD(16) Foreign Exchange Son (17) and myself (50). It doesn't have to be in Miami or Orlando. It can be on either coast. I actually enjoy driving.

After I booked my airfare for a seven day cruise. I decided to sail a 6 day cruise on the Breeze instead. Now we have an extra day in Florida. I am actually flying home form Orlando because airfare was about $100 less per person. We go to Disney and Universal quite a bit, so I really don't want to hang out in Orlando.

Does anybody have any ideas of what would be a fun thing to do? There will be four of us DH(61), DD(16) Foreign Exchange Son (17) and myself (50). It doesn't have to be in Miami or Orlando. It can be on either coast. I actually enjoy driving.

The space center is kinda neat...near Port Canaveral too

I thought NASA would be fun. However we debark in Miami and the space center closes at 5:00. That would be $200 for a couple of hours. Also, my DD just told me that she had enough of Museums for awhile. I took her on a whirlwind tour of a lot of museums in Chicago about 3 weeks ago.

Maybe we will head down to the Keys. I hope it doesn't rain.

Thanks for your suggestions.

When are you coming? Tampa has a real nice zoo, Lowery Park Zoo, which has been named #1 family oriented zoo numerous times. Also Busch Gardens, although that would also get kind of expensive. But if its going to be sometime soon we have Gasparilla kicking off soon, it is a huge pirate festival that happens every year last a few weeks. AS far as beaches, Gulf Coast is much nicer.

You have lots of great suggestions here.

If you by chance end up in Pinellas County- St.Petersburg, don't miss seeing Ft.Desoto Park. Not only are there beautiful beaches but the Fort is very historical and one can do a self-guided tour. In addition, there are fishing piers, kayaks, canoes and bicycles for rent. Plenty of biking trails to make it easy to get around. Lots of nice, clean picnic areas and bathroom/shower facilities. They also have a gift shop and snack bar as well.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

From Ft.Desoto, you would just jump on I-275 over the Howard Franklin bridge into Tampa then pick up I-4 right to the Orlando airport. About a 90 minute drive.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think we may head on US 41 got through the everglades and work our way up the west coast. We haven't been in the Sanibel Island area in a long time.

Bowmans beach on Sanibel was recently named the tenth best beach in the world. However, right now it is fairly cool.

You have lots of great suggestions here.

If you by chance end up in Pinellas County- St.Petersburg, don't miss seeing Ft.Desoto Park. Not only are there beautiful beaches but the Fort is very historical and one can do a self-guided tour. In addition, there are fishing piers, kayaks, canoes and bicycles for rent. Plenty of biking trails to make it easy to get around. Lots of nice, clean picnic areas and bathroom/shower facilities. They also have a gift shop and snack bar as well.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

From Ft.Desoto, you would just jump on I-275 over the Howard Franklin bridge into Tampa then pick up I-4 right to the Orlando airport. About a 90 minute drive.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

This would have been my suggestion as well!