Please help me pick itinerary!!

lisabees

I have four kids (ages 2, 6, 9, 12) and looking to go In February. Looking for the kids to experience new and fun things.

Here are the choices:

RCCI Voyager of the Seas - Miami, Labadee, Jamaica, Caymans, Cozumel

RCCI Explorer of the Seas - Miami, Belize city, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Caymans

RCCi Enchantment of the Seas - Ft Lauderdale, Key West, Cozumel, Belize City

Star Princess - Ft Lauderdale, Princess Cays, Cozumel, Cayman, Ochos Rios

I'm so confused! HELP!! :)

Lisa

Hi, I went with four teenagers to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica, and they loved it. In Cozumel, we went to Chakanub Park, some snorkeled the others took scub diving lessons, and the Iguana's roam on their own right off the beach, in Jamaica, they climbed dunns river falls and still talk about that. While in Grand Cayman we went to seven mile beach and they went jet skiing!

Hope this helps, when asked they said this was their favorite and they have been to many islands...hope this helps.

Linda

Taking a royal cruise-- not much for your two year old- Royals camps start at age 3 and need to be potty trained an no accidents.

You didnt say which week you are looking at. I have a group cruise set up on Crusie critic onboard the New CArnival Liberty going to Freeport/GrandCayman and Cozumel. We are going February 12th- pricing is in my banner under--click on the flag.

But with 4 kids you will need two cabins--unless you sail on something like the Destiny/Triumph/Victorty-which you can put 5 people into one cabin.

Hi, We did VOS in Aug and kids were 5 & 10 Labadee is great, they have a BBQ on the beach with Fire eaters etc...........Absolutely go to the 2nd beach which I believe is Barefoot Beach. There you can safely swim w/ your children, and view the ship docked behind you (great photo opt) Cayman Islands is so beautiful, if you don't swim w/ the stingrays, go to one of the hotel beaches and they have amenities you can use and rent. Jamaica we did an excursion, because I was scared of all the horror stories. We did the Dunns river falls, which can be tough depending on your athletic capability! Most make it, my 10 yr old did. I did not lol. Also on that trip was the jungle where my children loved holding the parrots in their hands, and wrapping the BIG snake ....ewwww.....around their neck! You can obseve the dolphins there, but not touch.Unless you pay X-tra. After that, we went to Margaritaville, which is a few bocks from the ship. There is a water slide on the roof,and jacuzzi, and pool bar w/ the best Margaritas you will taste! I loved VOS and would even revisit this itinerary in the future. No matter what you choose, make the most out of it and have a Ball! Hope this helps a bit!

:) Susie

I'd check out the "political status" of all of the ports before you decide. I remember reading about one of the ports, I'm almost positive it was Belize, having some "political unrest", and as a fellow mom, I'd be a nervous wreck to take my small kids there. it could be over now, but I just wanted to point out to you that the political situation is an important deciding factor to be checked. best of luck!

Here's my opinion on Kids ages and the ports mentioned.

Any private island (Princess Cay, Labadee) are great places for kids and adults of all ages. They are usually private beaches with amenities owned by the cruise line and run by the cruise staff. Very safe and geared toward a family day at the beach.

Ocho Rios: Pretty rough. Some great excursions for kids about 8 or older. Dunns River Falls, Rafting on the Martha Brae, etc. For kids under 8 or 7 there may not be a whole lot to offer. I do enjoy Jamaica, but wouldn't take kids there unless you were doing an all-inclusive.

Grand Cayman: Love it for kids and adults. Fabulous waters and beaches. Perfect place for a child to learn how to snorkel. 7 mile beach is a wonderful long white stretch of sand with many hotel amenities and great swimming areas for kids. The trutle farm is a must stop for kids and Hell is kind of neat to see. BUT the biggest draw is Stingray City (which you will read a lot about on these boards). Great for kids of all ages over 4 or so. The younger ones can either stay on the boat, or be held in Mom's arms, but they could get freaked out. Really cool experience.

Cozumel: The town itself is a cute bustling little mexican town (though I don't know what Emily did to her this week). Lot's of shops, restaurants, bars and kiosks. Cozumel also offers some beautiful beaches and nature parks to take kids. Swimming with dolphins or sea lions, or just spending the day on the beach is a great way to spend the day in Cozumel. There is a wonderful mini-golf place right in town. You can walk around and feel pretty secure.

Belize: Not that great for kids. It is basically a shopping area fenced in at the dock (tender area) that you can shop and eat in. If you want to go outside that area, an excursion is highly recommended and most excursions (unless it is a bus tour) have minimum ages. I think you'd be hard pressed to find something to do in Belize with young children.

Key West: I personally love Key West, but again, not that great of a location for young children. Not unsafe by any means, it is an adorable little island with many, many shops and eateries and bars with entertainment, but aside from an island tour (trolly or train) or visiting the aquarium, Key West is definitely geard toward adults. Not much in the way of beaches. It's mostly walking around, sightseeing, eating, shopping and drinking.

So, that being said, I think an itinerary with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and a private island would be your best bet.

have only been on 2 royal caribbean cruises (3rd this december) and my kids are older. absolutely nothing for you in jamaica(my opinion), your kids are too young for dunns river and jamaica otherwise can be missed. in cozumel (paradise) we went to paradise beach ourselves. the beach is free and for 5.00 you can rent snorkel equipment and other fun things. we went to costa maya and went to uvero beach (through royal carib) and loved it. costa maya is a newly developed island and has many cute shops right off the pier. 7 mile beach is in the caymans and has been listed as one of the top ten beaches in the world......pre hurricane (last year) .we went and it was still beautiful. if you check the specific port board here...you will get opinions and ideas and you'll be able to make your choice. i've only cruised royal caribbean. i'm very loyal to them and can only comment about them. enjoy yourself...doing the research makes the cruise real.

Archived