Things to do around the dock in St. Kitts

DisneyKidsDad

My family and I will be on an RCCL cruise this spring stopping in St. Kitts. My daughter is a full time wheelchair user. The only accessible excursion that RCCL offers is sold out. Is there much to do and see right around the dock? Or does anyone know of any accessible transportation on the island?

My family and I will be on an RCCL cruise this spring stopping in St. Kitts. My daughter is a full time wheelchair user. The only accessible excursion that RCCL offers is sold out. Is there much to do and see right around the dock? Or does anyone know of any accessible transportation on the island?

Cant answer that question for you as this will be my first time there. but your daughters service dog is beautiful! looks alot like my son's service dog we are training. Great creatures! We are going April 6th out of San Juan on Carnival Valor. WHen are you going? Perhaps I could scout it out for you :-)

Cant answer that question for you as this will be my first time there. but your daughters service dog is beautiful! looks alot like my son's service dog we are training. Great creatures! We are going April 6th out of San Juan on Carnival Valor. WHen are you going? Perhaps I could scout it out for you :-)

Our cruise isn't until the end of May so that would be great if you can check things out for us. We are also leaving out of San Juan and going to St. Martin, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. Any information you can bring back would be great! Good luck with your son's service dog.

I saw your question posted on the Barbados Board, also. While I can't answer your question directly I would recommend you contact some of the highly recommended operators on this forum and ask if they have an accessible bus or van and can accommodate you. If not perhaps they would know of someone on the island who could?

I saw your question posted on the Barbados Board, also. While I can't answer your question directly I would recommend you contact some of the highly recommended operators on this forum and ask if they have an accessible bus or van and can accommodate you. If not perhaps they would know of someone on the island who could?

Where do I find the operators?

There is lots of shopping right there. If you go to the end of the main road there is a market as well.

There is lots of shopping right there. If you go to the end of the main road there is a market as well.

To add a bit to this, there are several buildings with shops and restrooms just off the pier. I do not remember steps or obstacles between the pier and this shopping area, though some areas may be cobblestone and therefore less easy to use a wheelchair on. Beyond this shopping area is a regular street (with normal traffic), and then the town. A few blocks in, there is a public square (like a park) dedicated to the island's independence, and a number of historic buildings, churches, etc. We did not walk this area, but instead were on a van tour, so I cannot say how difficult it would be to maneuver. I can't remember if there were curb cuts, etc. St. Kitts seemed to me to be less commercial in many respects, so while it may be a more "authentic" island experience, it may be harder to navigate. I hope that you find something to do that works for you.

Just a note on sold out accessible excursions:

RCI does hold back slots on most excursions for booking onboard. If you want to do an excursion be sure to head to the excursion desk as soon as you board and see if there are slots available. You may luck out.

you may want to call the accessibility desk to see if they can work some magic.

the town square isn't too far from the doc. but try asking some of the tour operators such as thenford grey, or royston if they can't help you if they know another operator that has an accessible van set up how you need it. there is another operator who's name i can't remember but it is an agency downtown and starts with a "p."

try to use google maps and see if you can see anything that would be an obstacle for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Disney Dad. The ship docks at st. Kitts and a short walk off the ship and you're at the pier shops. There are numerous shops, all about the same, T shirts, jewelry,duty free. There is a National museum but it looked like it was on thesecond floor. A

Small craft bazaar of local crafts off the main area was interesting as we talked to the crafters. Outside the pier area is the actual town of locals. We saw a kfc and fruit stands as well as a busy street traffic. Many cruise visitors walking but it did appear the sidewalks here were narrow and uneven. I asked the information ladyif the tour operators would take wheelchairs and service dogs. She said it depended on the tour, no prob with wheelchair if the person could sit in regular seat, but would need to talk to the operator about the service dog. Sorry i could not help you more. Good luck

Hello Disney Dad. The ship docks at st. Kitts and a short walk off the ship and you're at the pier shops. There are numerous shops, all about the same, T shirts, jewelry,duty free. There is a National museum but it looked like it was on thesecond floor. A

Small craft bazaar of local crafts off the main area was interesting as we talked to the crafters. Outside the pier area is the actual town of locals. We saw a kfc and fruit stands as well as a busy street traffic. Many cruise visitors walking but it did appear the sidewalks here were narrow and uneven. I asked the information ladyif the tour operators would take wheelchairs and service dogs. She said it depended on the tour, no prob with wheelchair if the person could sit in regular seat, but would need to talk to the operator about the service dog. Sorry i could not help you more. Good luck

Thank you very much for taking the time to gather this information for me. It is just the sort of information i need to help plan this cruise. As long as there is some shopping close to the dock we are happy. Having the crafters there is a bonus!