Tour to Volunteer Point in Falkland Islands

cadreamer3

My wife and I will be in the Falkland Islands on March 11, 2014 on the Crown Princess and we want to take a tour to Volunteer Point to see the penguins. The tours to Volunteer Point on the ship are all booked and so we are looking for an alternative way to do a Volunteer Point tour. We talked with Penguin Travel and they said they could do a tour if we had at least 4 people, so we are looking to find 2 additional people to join us. If you are interested, you can contact Penguin Travel by email at penguin.travel@fic.co.fk and you can reference our name - John and Laura McLeod. You can contact us at cadreamer3@gmail.com.

Ya know, you just may have better luck with this if you post it on the roll call for the cruise.

BTW we have done this tour with Princess and I can confirm that there is an independant tour operator on the Falkands who does this, a little cheaper than Princess, I think.

Dress warm and it is one of the most memorable tours we have done in nearly 40 cruises. Enjoy!

My wife and I will be in the Falkland Islands on March 11, 2014 on the Crown Princess and we want to take a tour to Volunteer Point to see the penguins. The tours to Volunteer Point on the ship are all booked and so we are looking for an alternative way to do a Volunteer Point tour. We talked with Penguin Travel and they said they could do a tour if we had at least 4 people, so we are looking to find 2 additional people to join us. If you are interested, you can contact Penguin Travel by email at penguin.travel@fic.co.fk and you can reference our name - John and Laura McLeod. You can contact us at cadreamer3@gmail.com.
The "best" is through Patrick Watts. You don't have to put a group together. He will and usually has several vehicles. You do the same tour as the Princess tour for a lot less. All of the tour operators look out for each other so if one of the vehicles gets stuck (which they do), the others help out. We watched the Princess vehicles and our guides were ready to help if needed.

http://www.falklandislands.com/product.php/283/24/adventure_falklands

The Roll Call is where you can meet others sailing with you. To join, go to the top of this page and move the cursor over "Community". Select Roll Calls from the drop down. Scroll to your cruise line and then Click on your ship. Finally, find the thread for your sailing.

I did the Volunteer Point tour with Patrick Watt several years ago, best tour I've taken in 50+ cruises. (When I signed up Patrick sold out almost a year prior to my trip.) I'd take any option you can find to visit Volunteer Point. If you go make sure you take the time to walk down to the beach area also. I followed a group of 8-10 pengiuins all the way down and got some great photos.

Others have responded re: accessing a roll call.

One other memory came to me while I was outside shovelling snow - we were warned about staying out of the marked area. Actually a cirlcle of stones painted white. But, no body told the penquins. They walked right up to us and if they spied you walking toward the beach they seemed to fall into step behid you.

Or perhaps it was my animal magetism.

My DW says this isn't it.

Try tour group Patrick watt tour we have booked with him

The Volunteer Point overland trek in Patrick's convoy was the most memorable shore excursion to date and on a par with the other Patrick's lagoon excursion in Bora Bora :D.
Having done both, I agree. :)

For those who have booked with Patrick Watts in the Falklands, you have the choice of paying in US$ or in £. I would strongly recommend exchanging your $ for Bank of England £ before leaving home. The reason is that we booked almost a year in advance and by the time we took the tour, the exchange rate had changed dramatically against us. Patrick insisted that we pay the originally quoted US$ which was over $50 more/pp than the exchange rate at the time of the tour. That was a big surprise to me since I'd assumed, incorrectly, that if we paid in $ that it would be at the current exchange rate for the quoted £. Hope this makes sense.

Having done both, I agree. :)

For those who have booked with Patrick Watts in the Falklands, you have the choice of paying in US$ or in £. I would strongly recommend exchanging your $ for Bank of England £ before leaving home. The reason is that we booked almost a year in advance and by the time we took the tour, the exchange rate had changed dramatically against us. Patrick insisted that we pay the originally quoted US$ which was over $50 more/pp than the exchange rate at the time of the tour. That was a big surprise to me since I'd assumed, incorrectly, that if we paid in $ that it would be at the current exchange rate for the quoted £. Hope this makes sense.

Thank Pam you are a wealth of info :D

Cyndi