Doubting FE Gifts....

flyboyswife

First time doing FE ... I am having doubts about my planned gifts, I don't want to be considered cheap (& I have actually spent a bit of $). Going on Valentines Day cruise, so my gift is all candy themed. Including candies with liquor for the adults. Thoughts? I'm not crafty, so making something was just not in the cards.

First time doing FE ... I am having doubts about my planned gifts, I don't want to be considered cheap (& I have actually spent a bit of $). Going on Valentines Day cruise, so my gift is all candy themed. Including candies with liquor for the adults. Thoughts? I'm not crafty, so making something was just not in the cards.

We've appreciated any and all FE gifts we've been given. From stuff that obviously had a lot of work put into it, to the little pirate temporary tattoos.

One thing I'll point out re: the liquor candies. Be aware that after you put those gifts in the FE, they may sit there (available to anyone to pick up) for a while before the intended recipient can get to it.

Personally, I like candy. :D

Help! I'm new to cruising and have no idea what an FE is. Our Fantasy cruise leaves March 1st.

Outside the stateroom door is a message holder. Most of them are shaped like a fish, some are a starfish or sea horse.

33yltv4.jpg

A Fish Extender is a small, pocketed hanger that hangs from the fish.

dpe5fp.jpg

When you join your Roll Call, the Fish Extender gift exchange is a sort of Secret Santa gift exchange that is set up there. People will sign up and then on the cruise you slip little gifts into the other Fish Extenders participating. Typically there is a cut off date that everyone needs to sign up by, in order to allow those participating time to complete their gifts.

NOTE: Not all cruises have Roll Calls, and not all Roll Calls do FEs. If you do a search for "Fish Extenders" you might find other groups that are doing them.

Edited by Shmoo here

While some may hang them out just hoping for goodies, they also provide a great way to communicate with multiple cabins. No, you can't leave anything of value, but when Mary has a pair of Suzy's socks...or just to leave a note or small item, it works great.

If you have anything of value that needs to be delivered to a cabin or anything too big for a FE, just take it to GS. It will be delivered to the inside of the cabin, usually by the stateroom host.

There were a LOT more empty ones than I am used to seeing on this particular trip...

While there are some people who hang out FEs without signing up somewhere, there are other groups that do the same thing. Large families/groups organize their "own" FE exchanges. And, sometimes, TAs will sort of "organize" one if they have booked many groups on the same cruise.

And there are some parents that just hang one out knowing that they will be the ones providing surprises for their kids.

My opinion - stick with the candy!

Given how much time, craft talent and money some people have at their disposal, it's easy for those of us without those things to doubt ourselves when it comes to coming up with FE gifts. Speaking for my family, nothing that showed up in our FE ever disappointed us. It's just fun coming back to the room and finding something in the FE.

I don't do crafts or have artistic talent, and I won't lie and say I haven't worried that my gifts aren't up to par, but when the FE group grows to a certain size, I give myself a reality check.

Wow, I've been on 6 cruise, 5 of which I participated in the CC Roll Calls and I never heard of FEs! LOL Well, one of the things I always loved about CC is learning new things about cruising! I assume people just make their own ones?

Outside the stateroom door is a message holder. Most of them are shaped like a fish, some are a starfish or sea horse.

33yltv4.jpg

A Fish Extender is a small, pocketed hanger that hangs from the fish.

dpe5fp.jpg

When you join your Roll Call, the Fish Extender gift exchange is a sort of Secret Santa gift exchange that is set up there. People will sign up and then on the cruise you slip little gifts into the other Fish Extenders participating. Typically there is a cut off date that everyone needs to sign up by, in order to allow those participating time to complete their gifts.

NOTE: Not all cruises have Roll Calls, and not all Roll Calls do FEs. If you do a search for "Fish Extenders" you might find other groups that are doing them.

Wow, I've been on 6 cruise, 5 of which I participated in the CC Roll Calls and I never heard of FEs! LOL Well, one of the things I always loved about CC is learning new things about cruising! I assume people just make their own ones?

I believe that this is unique to Disney cruisers. If you have cruised mostly on other lines, that would explain why you haven't heard of them.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I was shocked out the items we got on our last cruise. My hubby and I each got 2 glasses that had Mickey decals, I got a handmade scarf, car decals, and then a lot of magnets and candy. We gave several types of magnets and lots of candy and I really felt bad for what I gave and I actually apologized to others about it and they all said they loved it and it was nothing to be sorry about. It does have me worried about our next cruise though and makes me think I need to do more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was shocked out the items we got on our last cruise. My hubby and I each got 2 glasses that had Mickey decals, I got a handmade scarf, car decals, and then a lot of magnets and candy. We gave several types of magnets and lots of candy and I really felt bad for what I gave and I actually apologized to others about it and they all said they loved it and it was nothing to be sorry about. It does have me worried about our next cruise though and makes me think I need to do more.

Each group is different. Some set a max dollar amount for the gifts. Some give a gift to each person in a cabin, others do one per cabin, and still others leave it up to the give.

As long as you follow thru with you commitment to participate if you sign up, you can't be wrong.

Each group is different. Some set a max dollar amount for the gifts. Some give a gift to each person in a cabin' date=' others do one per cabin, and still others leave it up to the give.

As long as you follow thru with you commitment to participate if you sign up, you can't be wrong.[/quote']

Thanks for saying the last part it does make me feel better.

I agree with the last two posts. We just came off of the Fantasy a week ago and participated in our first FE some of our favourites were the smaller gifts we got. There was a homemade CD with cruise tunes I listen to it everyday and it takes me back to the beach. We also got some other cool things glow sticks and tattoos were favs to for pirate nite and for scavenger hunts in dark places lol.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I cruised Disney but I remember the FE's. So much fun. I got my FE off of ebay I think. If you google them I'm sure they will come up or if you are crafty make your own. Something to look forward to on my Dec. Magic cruise.

We have been on one Disney cruise with the grandsons and the FE's were a blast. The boys were thrilled with everything they found. It doesn't have to be expensive or anything either. I made our FE's for that cruise and have added the granddaughter to my son's family for our upcoming Dream cruise. Dollar Tree or stores like have wonderful sales with small activity books etc. that the kids can use in their down time in the cabin. I agree that on our first experience I was second guessing myself but found it wasn't necessary. My experience was with a smaller group on the Wonder and we have kept our groups small on the upcoming cruise. I don't know how people do it with a multitude of cabins!! Do whatever you can and just enjoy the experience-thats what the kids will do! Have a great cruise!:)