Currency question

waldushka

The standard on all ships is the US Dollar. Even when in the Med, etc.

They do offer conversion, but no idea of the rate.

Of course, you can put almost everything on a credit card which is how most folks handle it.

If someone from Canada or Europe is cruising on Ncl, could they use their countries currency? Canadian dollars or marks? Just curious?can they exchange money on ship?

You normally provide a credit card at registration that is tied to room account. Everything (including duty free) is put on your room (cabin) and the eventing before departure it is charged onto your credit card (as one transaction). The credit card company handles the conversion from US dollars back to CDN.

Cdn Credit cards by all major providers (RBC, CIBC, TD, BMO etc) have a hidden foreign transaction fee of up to 2.5%.

Other banks in other countries don't typically do that. I've just applied for a amazon.ca credit card (Chase bank) that you would pay in CDN, but has 0 foreign transaction fee - they just convert the USD to CDN.

just google Canadian credit card foreign fees or

see Toronto star article:

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2013/09/07/how_to_save_on_foreign_exchange_fees_when_travelling.html

Most UK cards also have a hidden 2.5% foreign exchange fee. I think Halifax Clarity is one of the few that don't.

I will try to arrange swap currency with fellow rollcallers if possible, at a mutually better rate for both of us, so I can pay off my on board bill/replenish my poker float with USD, rather than my CC.