Food Court Concept instead of Windjammer

Thanks for seeing my creativity Mark. While people don't like the concept that I proposed I think its time to reinvent the Windjammer.

I would like to see the Windjammer open longer hours perhaps even all night.

For another idea. How about creating a Make Your Own Smores one night, Make Your Own Dessert Pizza another Night, Chocolate Fountain another night and Chocolate Fondue yet another night. With a late night offering such as connecting it with the Theme of the Dance so you can grab something to eat in between dancing.

I would love to see Make your own Burritos, Pastas, Toastadas etc during the night as well. For those who like Cheese and Crackers have good cheeses like Goat Cheese, Port Salut, Gruyere with Water Crackers, Dried Fruit etc.

During the Day there could be a Surprise Station where the Chef of the Windjammer Comes out with ingredients and passengers tell the chef what they would like, For instance Schnitzel with Soft Pretzels and a Cheese Sauce.

A Gourmet Hamburger station could replace the Hamburger station today and make it like The Counter.

Perhaps Royal should work with famous chefs like they do on the airline. One month it could be Emeril Lagasse the next month could be Rachel Ray etc and they could reinvent the Windjammer and Main Dining Room Menu.

Whats your take? Its time to bring back the midnight food offerings especially on ships witout a Cafe Promenade. Why didn't Royal decide to keep one 24 hour venue such as Park Cafe open and run it like a Cafe Promenade? The Windjammer could be the late night/24 hour venue onboard.

We're now in 2014 and the economy is doing better. By having a 24 hour venue there would be less need for late night room service. Even if there was a $3 cover charge for after 12:00 AM then fine.

That's a lot of time thinking and writing about things that aren't going to happen.

The cruise ship as a whole is the food court. It wouldnt make sense because they already have numerous options within walking distance. Ships are big but you can still reach any point within 5 minutes. To have doubles of what is already on the ship just with "Express" after would not fly. The Royal Promenade is pretty much a food court also IMO on Freedom & Oasis class.

Edited by Jtd724

I'm firmly in the camp that believes this would actually be a step backwards! If this existed, the cruise lines would be moving FROM this TO a WJ style restaurant. CC forums would be full of literally hundreds of posts suggesting ways to fix it :D

The reasons are simple - Variety & Long Lines

At every mall food court I've seen, there are huge lineups at counter A, and virutally no line ups at counter B. In fact, it's likely that some of the people in line for the other restaurants are there only because they did not want to wait in line for their first choice.

So, if I want variety.. say, I want a pc of pizza AND fries - I'm forced to go into 2 lines. Really? That would completely turn me off.

So, if I want variety.. say, I want a pc of pizza AND fries - I'm forced to go into 2 lines. Really? That would completely turn me off.

Great point. That would be horrible.

Edited by Jtd724

The cruise ship as a whole is the food court. It wouldnt make sense because they already have numerous options within walking distance. Ships are big but you can still reach any point within 5 minutes. To have doubles of what is already on the ship just with "Express" after would not fly. The Royal Promenade is pretty much a food court also IMO on Freedom & Oasis class.

Exactly right! I agree.

I'm not against adding more choices - like a new restaurant in the promenade, etc etc, but to remove the WJ and replace it with the food court style... huge step in the wrong direction.

How would you like a Food Court Concept with Upscale Food(Not Fast Food). There could be a Park Cafe Express Station(with the regular Park Cafe in the Solarium), Sorrentos, The Counter Burgers, Maggiano or Sbarro's Italian, On The Border Mexican , Katz's Deli, Sweet Tomatoes and others setup all around the Windjammer.

You would just go up to the station you want and sit down like you do today. Since each station would specialize in their own specialties there would be less chances of burgers sitting there on a warming plate. There could be a Boardwalk Dog Hose, Coldstone Creamery(the no fee Ice Cream Shop) etc.

This setup would allow people to enjoy the variety without having to worry if the food is on the warmer for a long time.

What are your thoughts about this as opposed to a Windjammer?

As long as it is free,will not pay extra for food on a cruise. :mad: