Let's talk MSC entertainment - it's great IMHO !

sharecruises

Having been on a fair amount of cruises , I have come to realize that the entertainment on a ship is a huge priority for ME

I live in South Florida, so palm trees and beaches are not a huge deal for ME

I am not athletic - never was - so rock walls, flowriders, rope courses mean zip to me (zip lines too haha)

I don't gamble....I don't smoke...I am only a very moderate drinker - glass or two wine with dinner, some frozen concoctions, maybe one bloody mary at sit down breakfast per cruise

I am not a big tv watcher at home so the tv channels don't mean much to me

I do like : air conditioning - worst cruise for me was the old Destiny when it had air cond problems LOL

I love hot tubs and saunas, steam room, pool area

I enjoy some trivia...

but...really ...what I like is ....THE SHOWS....THE BANDS....THE MUSIC....SOME DANCING...MORE GROUPS...DIFFERENT VENUES ALL BUSY

My very first cruise in the dark ages of the 80's - I was blown away on a small but fun rocking (no stabilizers) ship when I realized I could go from a comedy show to *small production show, to a piano bar to a rock band to the reggae band on deck and then hit the (small) "disco">> all by just walking around the ship (drink in hand haha)....no driving....no going from place to place...no cover charge....all right there....if roommate, friend, boyfriend wanted to do something else they could....I felt very free...I loved it...I was hooked

Lately on other cruise lines that feeling has gone - less and less shows...more let the passengers entertain....karaoke, guest talent show, "game shows" (yawn) Cutback after cutback

What I love about MSC = great great shows!

different shows - almost like Cirque....crazy shows...shows every night...really good singers...just wonderful

then ....music all over....I can go from place to place and hear dueling pianos....to the classical trio in lobby....the r and b duo in the coffee/gelato place...another duo...the latin band....the disco....wow!

I love it ! I saw some repeats on Poesia (3 x) but it felt "new"....different acts in the lounges each year too....the first (what I call my "Euro" cruise) had a really unique act I never saw before or since - a couple from Israel who are "quick change" artists !! Wow - I never imagined such a thing ! Loved them

I am amazed at the people who can bend and the strongmen and acrobats and the singers and Michael Jackson guy and wow...plus all the great acts

Food? Yeah I like it....good service (uh humm,...ice water please LOL..now they bring it out on Divina - think they have that hammered into their heads...give water LOL)....I like the buffet too...

but...really - for me - it is the entertainment - the feeling that I can walk from theater to club to another club to disco and have so much fun :)

I thought the entertainment was outstanding on the Divina a full show every night, the theater was good with no obstructions.

I did miss a live band and I did miss the ice shows on RCCL. But the energy and talent of the entertainers were outstanding.

A question to those who recently cruised on the Divina.

I like live music to accompany the shows.

So far there has been canned music on the main stage on MSC ships.

Did they change it on the Divina?

Is there a live music band on the stage or just canned music as it used to be?

LOL>>>

well they have live violin player, really energetic..

sometimes live piano but yeah "canned" music

but....you have to see the shows to believe them

at one point I counted 28 entertainers on stage (final bow)

even people who don't like some MSC policies, etc mostly have good things to say about the shows

They have duos, trios in all the bars - latin, pop/rock....country/folk?/jimmy buffet..an R&B gal and guy duo ....a guy who played the saxophone that was surprisingly entertaining

dueling pianos....oh and classical trio in lobby...sometimes piano player there..or in the actual piano bar...they move around some

there is so much going on

the shows are just outstanding

along with the great dancers, singers, acrobat/cirque acts they bring in fly in acts - from....Royal Caribbean

they had a great comedy/singer/impressionist who is often on Allure and has "opened' many royal ships including Freedom (we spoke with him on the Lido for awhile)...on our sailing they had Abbacabra - who are usually on the Allure

If you actually sail on Divina or another ship you will see

I bet it is much more lively than Holland America?

Edited by sharecruises

We thoroughly enjoyed all the nightly shows except for the comedian, Levant...really boring...People walked out, including us.

Especially liked the costumes, male opera singer and Soprano.

Really enjoyed the Duo to listen to while enjoying our martinis before dinner.

Dueling Pianos, Entertainment Staff along with the bands after dinner were wonderful....Very upbeat and friendly!

Didn't care for violinists....probably just not our cup of tea!

We chose to miss a few shows on other cruise ships, but would never miss a show on MSC after our recent experience.

Although we like latin music and enjoyed the band on deck at the White Party, we would have appreciated more well known songs and less latin dance music.

The one big miss for us was not having a band on deck at Sailaway. We skipped the first night's show since it was at the same time as Sailaway, 7pm...Mistake...No band or pizzazz at all at Sailaway.

This will be my second MSC cruise, and hands down the shows are outstanding. It is something we are really looking forward to when we sail the Divina in May. Was on the Poesia last April,( actually the same cruise as you Esty) and made it a point to watch the show before our dinner, which was late seating.

Was on Princess in August sailing Alaska and the shows were such a disappointment, I actually walked out during a few shows. Even though I'm elite with Princess, I would rather give up my 'perks' and sail with MSC.

Thank you.

Some shows by their nature may require canned music.

But having no live music band at all... is not a quality product.

A show without live music is half show.:(

Until you see them - you just do NOT know how amazing these shows are

most every review, event those that have found other faults with MSC has nothing but praise for the shows

~~~~~~~~~

To Lauren - I loved Poesia's shows...and honestly Divina has even better shows YES!

So many really really talented people on MSC

The Michael Jackson tribute guy is fantastic - the choreography, costumes, just the whole show

I have been on different cruises and I find I "remember" the shows on MSC more cause they are so unique.

Thank you.

For someone who has never cruised on MSC, and is debatable that you have EVER cruised at all you are very opinionated and seem to have a piss on for all things MSC. Until you have sat in the theatre, completely amazed by the performances from all the singers, dancers, acrobats ect, you can not make a flippant comment like you did.

Your opinion is uneducated and unfounded quite simply you make a fool out of yourself when you make comments when you can not draw on any personal experiences.

Thank you.

So you do not go to Broadway, west end or Las Vegas shows ?

For someone who has never cruised on MSC, and is debatable that you have EVER cruised at all ..

Never what? LOL

Are you teaching me what shows on a cruise ship are ????

Using your language, don't make yourself fool commenting on what is not your business.:D

I've seen million of shows on various ships.

I've seen excellent shows with canned music. As I said, for some formats canned music is necessary. Please read what you are trying to comment.

Having no live music shows at all is a poor thing.

A live music band (on the largest ships they are called "orchestras") performance is a show by itself.

Live music show vs canned on a cruise ship is like fresh food vs canned food, fresh meats vs frozen meats, a hand made cake vs a factory made one, etc.

Why should it be explained? Doesn't it go without saying??

Shows on Cruise Ships

Live orchestra show

2eezu3k.jpg

Shows where canned music may be required

Acrobats

28mpx.jpg

Dancers

5fhhee.jpg

Ice Show

r905cn.jpg

Enjoy, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cruisetrail

• 3 weeks later...

We've only done one(10 day B2B) on MSC, although we've cruised several more on CCL RCCL, Celebrity, NCL.

It was on the Poesia, over 2 years ago.

We loved everything about the Poesia, the food, the ship, the staff... but the entertainment was outstanding!

No talking sofas, no hairy chest competitions, just wonderful music....opera, awesome classical trio in the atrium, and 2 wonderful singers, who sang nightly.

The cruise director spoke several languages (which was apparently annoying to some guests)....Loved it all... about to book our second MSC cruise.

For someone who has never cruised on MSC, and is debatable that you have EVER cruised at all you are very opinionated and seem to have a piss on for all things MSC. Until you have sat in the theatre, completely amazed by the performances from all the singers, dancers, acrobats ect, you can not make a flippant comment like you did.

Your opinion is uneducated and unfounded quite simply you make a fool out of yourself when you make comments when you can not draw on any personal experiences.

I am sure he never cruised before :D

• 3 weeks later...
I think the shows on MSC and Costa are the worst ever!

Really no comparism with NCL or RCCL!

I have been on them all, MSC by far has the best entertainment smartest & cleanest of any cruise line. They just don`t tolerate any crap cruisers complain about. You should stay on Ncl that doesn`t change your silverware from one course to another & enjoy Rccl`s overpricing & having to make reservations for anything you do.

I am 61 travelling with my mom 91 & her eyesight is going. I am trying to give her some beautiful things to see while she is able. She loves to sail and this is the 3rd I will be taking her on / The Divina Mar 22. She is a late riser and loves the shows I am thinking early dining. I have cut/pasted your comments on the shows 1st night etc If we took early dining we should be able to make the early show is this correct, next she loves to smoke (I don't but can live with it) suggestions. We also would like to sit in some quiet areas. She is able to walk short distance but I have a light wheel chair for the long distances - can you recommend any excursions itinerary being Falmouth, jamica cayman islands, cozumel, great stirrup cay . any advice on all the above is welcome and I believe I am saying a big thanks on behalf of all of us on a review *very well done*

Having been on a fair amount of cruises , I have come to realize that the entertainment on a ship is a huge priority for ME

I live in South Florida, so palm trees and beaches are not a huge deal for ME

I am not athletic - never was - so rock walls, flowriders, rope courses mean zip to me (zip lines too haha)

I don't gamble....I don't smoke...I am only a very moderate drinker - glass or two wine with dinner, some frozen concoctions, maybe one bloody mary at sit down breakfast per cruise

I am not a big tv watcher at home so the tv channels don't mean much to me

I do like : air conditioning - worst cruise for me was the old Destiny when it had air cond problems LOL

I love hot tubs and saunas, steam room, pool area

I enjoy some trivia...

but...really ...what I like is ....THE SHOWS....THE BANDS....THE MUSIC....SOME DANCING...MORE GROUPS...DIFFERENT VENUES ALL BUSY

My very first cruise in the dark ages of the 80's - I was blown away on a small but fun rocking (no stabilizers) ship when I realized I could go from a comedy show to *small production show, to a piano bar to a rock band to the reggae band on deck and then hit the (small) "disco">> all by just walking around the ship (drink in hand haha)....no driving....no going from place to place...no cover charge....all right there....if roommate, friend, boyfriend wanted to do something else they could....I felt very free...I loved it...I was hooked

Lately on other cruise lines that feeling has gone - less and less shows...more let the passengers entertain....karaoke, guest talent show, "game shows" (yawn) Cutback after cutback

What I love about MSC = great great shows!

different shows - almost like Cirque....crazy shows...shows every night...really good singers...just wonderful

then ....music all over....I can go from place to place and hear dueling pianos....to the classical trio in lobby....the r and b duo in the coffee/gelato place...another duo...the latin band....the disco....wow!

I love it ! I saw some repeats on Poesia (3 x) but it felt "new"....different acts in the lounges each year too....the first (what I call my "Euro" cruise) had a really unique act I never saw before or since - a couple from Israel who are "quick change" artists !! Wow - I never imagined such a thing ! Loved them

I am amazed at the people who can bend and the strongmen and acrobats and the singers and Michael Jackson guy and wow...plus all the great acts

Food? Yeah I like it....good service (uh humm,...ice water please LOL..now they bring it out on Divina - think they have that hammered into their heads...give water LOL)....I like the buffet too...

but...really - for me - it is the entertainment - the feeling that I can walk from theater to club to another club to disco and have so much fun :)