Gown or Cocktail Dress on Constellation?

Angelou

I am wondering how this thread was resurrected almost a year to the date! :D

Last post was January 24th, 2014 (I participated in the thread last year) and then brought back up with a statement ( not even a question) on January 25th, 2015. :cool:

Oh well. My formal dress has not changed except to buy a couple of new outfits. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

We've been on 13 cruises so far, and I've never worn a gown, or even an evening dress. Some women do and it's certainly attractive, but I don't have the luggage space for it. Thinking back - I don't remember seeing a gown in years for formal night. I usually wear a dressy (with non-shedding glitter) top and black skirt or pants with heels. I've never felt out-of-place. Jewelry can really dress up a simple dress or pant suit. And it takes up little space in the suitcase. DH usually wears a dark suit with button down shirt and most of the time a tie, but not always.

I've actually seen jeans on formal night with a suit coat. Wear something you feel pretty in, something you won't wear to church cuz it's a bit too glitzy.

I'm not saying that you should wear a gown or you should feel out-of-place. However, I don't know what 13 cruises you have been on so far. We cruise Celebrity, RCL and Princess and have done 10 cruises on those 3 cruise lines in the past 2 years and have never NOT seen women in gowns or men NOT in Tuxes for formal night.

Can't understand what you pack in your luggage to not allow a gown or tux to fit in it.

Airlines allow 50 pounds per suitcase. If you can't fit a weeks worth of clothes to include a gown, you must be packing too much other stuff. JMHO!

I'm not saying that you should wear a gown or you should feel out-of-place. However, I don't know what 13 cruises you have been on so far. We cruise Celebrity, RCL and Princess and have done 10 cruises on those 3 cruise lines in the past 2 years and have never NOT seen women in gowns or men NOT in Tuxes for formal night.

Can't understand what you pack in your luggage to not allow a gown or tux to fit in it.

Airlines allow 50 pounds per suitcase. If you can't fit a weeks worth of clothes to include a gown, you must be packing too much other stuff. JMHO!

I have seen many men in tuxes and many men in dark suits, many women in cocktail dresses or silky pants and glittery tops, and a FEW women in gowns on recent Celebrity cruises. All airlines do not allow 50 lbs, some are only 44 lbs and many people cruise for longer than a week. We typically cruise for at least two weeks and also include a stay before or after and I would not pack a gown (even if I owned one). A black evening skirt or pants with a selection of tops make up my formal night wear and I do not feel out of place.

I have seen many men in tuxes and many men in dark suits, many women in cocktail dresses or silky pants and glittery tops, and a FEW women in gowns on recent Celebrity cruises. All airlines do not allow 50 lbs, some are only 44 lbs and many people cruise for longer than a week. We typically cruise for at least two weeks and also include a stay before or after and I would not pack a gown (even if I owned one). A black evening skirt or pants with a selection of tops make up my formal night wear and I do not feel out of place.

I did not say you or anyone should feel out of place. I was just stating a fact as we do it all the time. Excuses are excuses. Facts are Facts. Lets not make this a contest. Just expressing my opinion/experiences.

FYI, we cruise for more than 7 days and many times go on RCL/X/Princess and then go on RCL/X/Princess when we get off the first cruise. So, 2 14 day cruises at one time. So, even at 44 lbs, that should not be a problem.

I guess it boils down to the way a person packs and what they pack.

We've mostly sailed Celebrity but last summer was the Oasis of the Seas (RCCL). Guess we haven't been on the same sailings.

And I'd rather have my "other stuff" with me than a gown. :P

We've mostly sailed Celebrity but last summer was the Oasis of the Seas (RCCL). Guess we haven't been on the same sailings.

And I'd rather have my "other stuff" with me than a gown. :P

Fully understand your desires and needs. Just stating our observations and opinions.

Back today from 5 day Connie..Key West and Cozumel...only 1 formal night on port day...we were in BLU...most dressed nicely but about half of the men no jacket, two tuxes, women sparkly tops...long skirts, pants nice dresses....more dressed up around the ship but many not dressed up at all...a mixed bag. If you travel as a twosome or family or group, match each other in dress level and ignore the rest!

some really horrible dress observed at Cafe Baccio in the afternoon,,,sleeveless ratty t shirts on men,one no shoes, swimsuit cover ups women...really beach casual!