Muster Drill?

travlin

This is our first experience on Royal. How do they do muster drills? We will be on the Navigator.

Everyone is required to go to their muster station, but no life jackets are required. Most muster stations will be outside on deck 4, but some will be inside. You listen to the emergency signal, they explain how to put on the life jackets, the Captain speaks for a bit, and you're dismissed.

Thank you for the replies! Each cruise line seems to have its own routine.

This is true. Princess does it indoors, for example. But now it's always done before you sail since shortly after the Concordia "incident".

Check out http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4719 - that explains it better than I can LOL.

Didn't read the article but I am aware that different cruise lines treat muster in different ways in terms of when they conduct it - and since Concordia, some lines who didn't do so previously are changing their policies to conduct it prior to disembarkation. My only point was that in our experience RCI is one cruise line that always has done it prior to disembarkation.

Didn't read the article but I am aware that different cruise lines treat muster in different ways in terms of when they conduct it - and since Concordia, some lines who didn't do so previously are changing their policies to conduct it prior to disembarkation. My only point was that in our experience RCI is one cruise line that always has done it prior to disembarkation.

Indeed. And I suspect all lines sailing from the US have done the same thing for a long time. And thank God they do. Perhaps I should have specified that I was posting that link just for general knowledge, and for people that may not understand the whole process/laws, or for people living in countries where this was not the norm until a couple of years ago.

I remember sailing out of PR to the Southern Caribbean and people were complaining about not being able to get a drink and being 'forced to go to some stupid safety thing'. Ugh.

People, if I was the OP you would have scared the bejabbers out of me with all this technical talk.

On RCI, you do have to show up at your muster station (shown on your seapass) on time. If you don't, they will hunt you down and find you. And those of us who showed up on time and stood quietly in the heat waiting for you will not be amused. You do not have to wear, or bring, your life jacket on RCI. Once you show up at your muster station, shut up, do what you're told, and don't make smart-ass remarks - the staff don't like it. Just keep your mouth shut, stand straight in line, and do as you're asked.

If you don't behave, you may prolong the process. And we, whom you have delayed from the bar, will know exactly who you are. Possibly not the smartest way to start a cruise.

Edited by wassup4565

people, if i was the op you would have scared the bejabbers out of me with all this technical talk.

On rci, you do have to show up at your muster station (shown on your seapass) on time. If you don't, they will hunt you down and find you. And those of us who showed up on time and stood quietly in the heat waiting for you will not be amused. You do not have to wear, or bring, your life jacket on rci. Once you show up at your muster station, shut up, do what you're told, and don't make smart-ass remarks - the staff don't like it. Just keep your mouth shut, stand straight in line, and do as you're asked.

If you don't behave, you may prolong the process. and we, whom you have delayed from the bar, will know exactly who you are. possibly not the smartest way to start a cruise.

lol!

ROTFLMAO !!!!:D:D:D

I´d be very surprised if you could show me a single cruiseline that has ever conducted Muster Drill after disembarkation;).

I´d also be curious how they did it. On the Pier before collecting luggage?;) I´m sure those having to catch early flights have been hopping mad:eek:

From memory, the location of your muster station, as well as being printed on your Seapass card (which you will be told numerous times to have in your hand when you are enroute to the drill and visible to staff), will be detailed on the cabin door together with your escape route.

It's something I always review when I get into the cabin for the first time.

• Like 1

People, if I was the OP you would have scared the bejabbers out of me with all this technical talk.

On RCI, you do have to show up at your muster station (shown on your seapass) on time. If you don't, they will hunt you down and find you. And those of us who showed up on time and stood quietly in the heat waiting for you will not be amused. You do not have to wear, or bring, your life jacket on RCI. Once you show up at your muster station, shut up, do what you're told, and don't make smart-ass remarks - the staff don't like it. Just keep your mouth shut, stand straight in line, and do as you're asked.

If you don't behave, you may prolong the process. And we, whom you have delayed from the bar, will know exactly who you are. Possibly not the smartest way to start a cruise.

not always do we stand quietly in the HEAT, in Bayonne NJ in Jan. & Feb. sometime we stand in the freezing COLD. (10---20 degrees F)

Edited by phish tales

I´d be very surprised if you could show me a single cruiseline that has ever conducted Muster Drill after disembarkation;).

I´d also be curious how they did it. On the Pier before collecting luggage?;) I´m sure those having to catch early flights have been hopping mad:eek:

Likewise, since embarkation is what passengers do and not ships, no cruise line has ever held them prior to embarkation. What they have normally been is prior to departure. (Although, I was on Adventure once when the drill was held at 10:00am the morning following departure.)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Nice catch!! I of course meant departure as stated in my first post! Didn't check it before I hit submit. .....and you're right, it would be a real nuisance if you had an early flight!!

Likewise, since embarkation is what passengers do and not ships, no cruise line has ever held them prior to embarkation. What they have normally been is prior to departure. (Although, I was on Adventure once when the drill was held at 10:00am the morning following departure.)

Yeah the next day thing happened on the Concordia, I don't think next day musters will be happening again ever.

Yeah the next day thing happened on the Concordia, I don't think next day musters will be happening again ever.

It understood it happened the first night - 3-1/2 hours after departure - while many passengers were in the dining room having dinner....which makes your point even stronger!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I found the muster drill on Oasis and Allure to be rather frustrating and not very helpful. The "stations" are so big (numerous stations filling the boardwalk, the promenade...), and it's virtually impossible to hear the announcements.

I think muster is obviously very important, but I sometimes think the "drill" on Oasis and Allure does nothing but provide a false sense of confidence to the passengers.

While I do respect that an important component of the drill is giving the crew the opportunity to manage getting all the passengers to their muster stations, I question whether the exercise in it's current format is really that great for the passengers.

I always thought it would be great to require all passengers to "check in" at their particular muster station at some point between embarkation and sail away. Perhaps you go, swipe your card, watch a video that is running continuously, and swipe out after it has played. There could be a crew member there (instead of tying them all up at once, they could take shifts throughout departure day) if you have any questions. Then, at sail away, anyone who hasn't swiped in and out at muster is basically "locked out". Can't get into stateroom, can't charge, can't be seated at dinner, until they go.

Of course, they would still need to do the whole ship muster drill from time to time to keep the crew trained. But I just think this could be a better solution.

Not once the new SOLAS rules get implemented anyway.

Two things come to mind:

1. On our Costa Cruise eons ago (1989) I thought it was odd to have a muster drill hours after we left port (and in really deep water).

2. Watching the reaction of my wife during the "Captain Philips" movie where they "launched" the lifeboat off the aft of the ship! I told here it won't be that dramatic hopefully if we have to leave the ship "in a hurry".

Seriously,

I always pay attention to the Muster procedures.

FWIW