Jewel Class cabin 4547 or free upgrade to higher deck?

UpTheBanner

Should i take the free upgrade to one of the higher decks or book this large inside cabin? On the deck plan it is a larger cabin than the other inside cabins on deck 4. I am tempted with the upgrade to a higher deck to be close to the pool deck but i will take size over location. What do you think?

You do realize that deck 4 (where cabin 4547 is located) is the lowest passenger deck on the ship, and has, at best, "ocean view" cabins, but I'm inferring from your question that you have an inside cabin on deck 4. About the only advantage I can see to having a cabin down there is that you would be very close to the gangway for disembarking in ports of call.

What cabin are you being offered as an upgrade? If it's being offered as an "upgrade" then it probably is a better cabin than what you have at present. Better usually means more square footage, but without knowing what you've been offered we really can't provide much advice.

We stayed in this cabin on the Pearl. Having never been in another inside on the Jewel class I can't say how much more space there is compared to other insides. If you can wait a couple of months I will be able to tell you.

The only problem you may encounter is on port days. People will constantly be walking by. If you want to leave your cabin when everyone is getting off the ship first thing you might have to wait. There were a couple times when the hall was very crowded. Of course I am very claustrophobic in crowds so it might not be a problem for anyone else.

We stayed in this cabin on the Pearl. Having never been in another inside on the Jewel class I can't say how much more space there is compared to other insides. If you can wait a couple of months I will be able to tell you.

The only problem you may encounter is on port days. People will constantly be walking by. If you want to leave your cabin when everyone is getting off the ship first thing you might have to wait. There were a couple times when the hall was very crowded. Of course I am very claustrophobic in crowds so it might not be a problem for anyone else.

Is 4547 on the Pearl bigger than the other insides? I would love more information on this cabin :)

We've had both OV and inside cabin on NCL's Dawn & Jewel class ships over the years, deck 4 is fine and you will appreciate it when you run into rough weather with 15 to 20+ ft. waves & gale force wind blowing diagonally across the pool deck during your sea days (and nights)

Inside cabin are the smallest and unless it's an "accessible" cabin (not even sure if they exist for this category) - the difference might be 6 to 10 sq. ft. more, hardly noticeable - accessible cabins are roomier for the shower/restroom and entrance area. If there's 3 or 4 of you, the upper bunk occupant(s) don't "score" any additional space at all. ;)

Looking at the Jewel class deck plans, you have inside cabin above you on deck 5, so it will be quiet with no gallery or dining room noises or music from the disco, etc. It's in the FWD section of the ship but right behind the stairs/elevators, and you can easily get in & ride up to the pool/buffet deck - easy to get into theater & walk back down from the MDR or lobby on deck 7. If you are offered an inside on deck 7 or 8, depending on locations - it is usually good - if it is on deck 9 or higher, be careful as it could below the pool area or buffet, etc. and noiser or with lots of foot traffic.

Use this link to NCL's deck plan to review what's below and (most importantly) above you - crew/service area or storage and even near gangways for ports of call, are generally not a big problem while at sea and/or at night - they are great for "natural" wake-up calls and you have quicker access to getting off the ship once it's anchored to the pier. Crews with living quarters nearby do NOT make noise unless they are moving luggage carts or alike. http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/jewel/decks/2/4#tab_detail

Otherwise, I am not sure if this specific cabin is "bigger" and/or by how much in square footage - the deck plan/drawings are illustration and not engineering blueprint to accurate scale.

Edited by mking8288