Charging up a scooter?

phabric

Will be our first time renting a scooter for our Alaska cruise.

The scooter company stated a scooter can go 8/10 miles before charging. I don,t know how long that would be? Is it like using it all day around the ship?

Do you keep it plugged in charging it up while in the cabin or just charge it up at night?

How long does it take to fully charge up?

We will being an extension cord, encase we need it. should it be 2 or 3 plug cord?

I charge the scooter at night while I sleep. My heavy duty battery can go for more than a couple of days without charging, but you don't really know how old the batteries are on rental scooters. You need a three prong plug.

Will be our first time renting a scooter for our Alaska cruise.

The scooter company stated a scooter can go 8/10 miles before charging. I don,t know how long that would be? Is it like using it all day around the ship?

Generally speaking a charge should last you the day on board ship. However actual mileage is dependent on numerous variables such as but not limited to :

• Weight of the individual
  • How fast of speed the person is using. The speed controls are "Turtle" for slow and "Rabbit" for fast. To get optimum battery use and for overall safety the scooter should be driven in "Turtle" - slow speed when on board the ship.
  • Smoother/flatter terrain gets optimum battery use. Riding up hill will use more power. Going from a hard surface to carpet surface will use more power.
    IMPORTANT : Actual battery power left shows more accurately when the scooter is being driven rather than when scooter is turned on and sitting dormant.

Do you keep it plugged in charging it up while in the cabin or just charge it up at night? [/Quote]

Generally speaking you should only have to charge it at night but definitely charge it every night of the cruise. However depending on how actively the scooter was used during the day especially when in port it might have to be charged after you return to the ship. There is a battery gage on the tiller ( handle controls) .

• If it has a needle control, the closer the needle gets towards the yellow range than you need to think about charging it.
  • If it's a lighted dot battery gage as you see the lights turn off and get closer to yellow think about getting it charged.
  • NEVER let the battery gage get down into the red zone. This means you definitely won't have power and it's not good for the battery.
    IMPORTANT: it can go from Yellow to Red very fast so check the battery gage regularly when in use.

How long does it take to fully charge up? [/Quote]

8- 10 hours on average. Depending on the age of the batteries it may be less as it holds a lesser charge the older they are. The charger will have a Red and Green light. When you first plug the charger in a Red light will appear. Battery is not fully charged until the Green light is lite.

We will being an extension cord, encase we need it. should it be 2 or 3 plug cord?

If you park the scooter directly next to desk than an extension cord is not necessary. Despite the fact that the rental company told you to bring an extension cord , many cruise lines actually prohibit passengers from bringing it aboard. In fact extension cords are often confiscated. If an extension cord is required it is better to ask your cabin steward for one. That way you have one that is approved for onboard usage from the cruise line. FYI- in the 7 times cruises which a mobility scooter was used , I've never had to use a extension cord.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I charge my scooter every night. but I did have two times when I ran out of battery- so I always keep the charging cord in the basket in case

it happens again. I tend to use the faster speed so that does drain

the battery faster.