Beach cabanas on Nellies beach?

NanaL

We wanted to get an over the water cabana but they are not available. Can anyone tell me how the beach cabanas are? Are they worth the money? How far are they from the water? Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Linda

On the boards you will be hearing both sides of the story.

Some people swear by them, the privacy, shade, water cooler.

Others like us, well, we would never find the time to enjoy.

For us Labadee is beach day.

We arrive stake out our claim.

Go do Jet ski's

Return to beach swim

Eat

shop

Do Dragons coaster

Volleyball

Visit vendors

swim

We would never get the benefit of the cost.

Sea Ya

We had a beach cabana this past January and we loved it, we had 11 in our group and we used it as our home base for the day, we only had 4 or 5 in there at one time as people were either in the water, shopping, eating or resting in the cabana. Our attendant said it was ok for the extra people to come and go from the cabana during the day.

There is a small concrete wall in front of the cabanas that you can easily see over and your cabana is probably 6' up off the ground so you have great views from up there of the ship and the beach.

The only drawback with these cabanas compared to the over the water ones is you have people walking on the path in front of the cabanas, where the over the water ones face right over the water. We like to people watch, so this didn't bother us and we could watch for members of our group.

Keith

is the path in front sand or paved? we have two in scooters and were wondering if they could get to it or have to walk

It is paved. They have golf carts that travel all over to take people from the different areas. They gave us a ride back to the ship from our cabana, you just have to tell the attendant when you want to leave, very nice service!

Keith

We rented one for the two of us this past Nov, but we will probably not do it again.

While is was a very nice set up we felt it was too expensive for 2 people. I forget which cabana we stayed in, but I'm kind of a fluffy girl and ours only had a metal ladder going down into the water which was difficult for me to get in and out. Other cabins had steps that went straight into the water, which would have been so much better than what we had,

Our waiter was very nice and very attentive and was there for anything we wanted or needed and we tipped him well at the end of the day.

Edited by GTO-Girl

They only had hillside cabanas available when I just booked for March. Has anyone had one and what did you think of it? No walking issues. Is there a direct view of the water? Would I be able to switch once on board (or cancel) to an over the water if it is available? Thanks!

They only had hillside cabanas available when I just booked for March. Has anyone had one and what did you think of it? No walking issues. Is there a direct view of the water? Would I be able to switch once on board (or cancel) to an over the water if it is available? Thanks!

We had a hillside Cabana and you do have a direct view of the water. It can be quite the climb on pavement if you have mobility issues. One nice thing it's more private than over the water or beach cabanas. We enjoyed it but enjoyed our beach Cabana with better access to the water.

We had Nellie's Beach Hillside no. 6 this past Dec. We were at the top of the hill between Nellie's and Barefoot. Very private with great view over both beaches and out over the water to the ship at dock. We were able to go down either hillside (stone steps) and were right at the water's edge on both beaches. Cabana deck sticks out over the water with boulder type hillside below going down to the water. Got cabana #6 by assignment at the ship's shore excursion desk on board. So you could check with them about specific cabana assignments or whether you can switch cabana type. Enjoy, it makes for a wonderful stress free day.

We had Nellie's Beach Hillside no. 6 this past Dec. We were at the top of the hill between Nellie's and Barefoot. Very private with great view over both beaches and out over the water to the ship at dock. We were able to go down either hillside (stone steps) and were right at the water's edge on both beaches. Cabana deck sticks out over the water with boulder type hillside below going down to the water. Got cabana #6 by assignment at the ship's shore excursion desk on board. So you could check with them about specific cabana assignments or whether you can switch cabana type. Enjoy, it makes for a wonderful stress free day.

This information is very helpful. We have a hillside cabana booked in May. Are you saying you went to the shore excursion desk once on board and asked about requesting a particular cabana or you stopped by the desk and they told you which one you were getting? Thanks!

We have reserved an OTW wheelchair accessible cabana for our upcoming cruise in March due to my mother's mobility issues. I heard that the accessible OTW cabanas are either number 9 or 10. I understand that the cabanas are not pre-assigned and choice of cabana are on a first come first served basis but will this apply to us or will we be given either 9 or 10?

Dolfans from Miami

Edited by dolfans0704

We have reserved an OTW wheelchair accessible cabana for our upcoming cruise in March due to my mother's mobility issues. I heard that the accessible OTW cabanas are either number 9 or 10. I understand that the cabanas are not pre-assigned and choice of cabana are on a first come first served basis but will this apply to us or will we be given either 9 or 10?

Dolfans from Miami

Hey Dols! :D Hope all is well. Glad you are going back out on the seas!

Hey Dols! :D Hope all is well. Glad you are going back out on the seas!

Hey Brig! Great to hear from you! Baltics cruise seems like ages ago. Doing the Western Caribbean on Allure in March and the Med/Greek Isles on the Serenade in May so pretty busy planning! Hope our paths cross again in the future. Please give my best to the Mrs.! Take care! :)

Dolfans from Miami

On the boards you will be hearing both sides of the story.

Some people swear by them, the privacy, shade, water cooler.

Others like us, well, we would never find the time to enjoy.

For us Labadee is beach day.

We arrive stake out our claim.

Go do Jet ski's

Return to beach swim

Eat

shop

Do Dragons coaster

Volleyball

Visit vendors

swim

We would never get the benefit of the cost.

I know...I don't get it. What is the attraction of sitting in a wood box, and how do you make this time to do so....it's one day on the island.

is the path in front sand or paved? we have two in scooters and were wondering if they could get to it or have to walk

we parked our scooter at the welcoming building and used the golf cart ride to get to the cabana and back to the welcome center. youy just tell your cabana guy and he will call for the golf cart wherever you want to go.

We had Nellies Hillside #7. There are only 2 Hillside cabanas at Nellies Beach. #6 & #7. As noted if there are mobility issued you do not want a Hillside. Other wise, it was great. Very private and a beautiful view from the cabana of the water. #7 is the cabana that is adjacent to Barefoot Beach. We did all of our access via Barefoot Beach. At that time we were entitled to the private buffet but I understand that is no longer offered to Nellies Beach Cabanas. On board you can always go to shore Excursions and inquire if there is an OTW available.

If you follow this link, you can see lots of pics from #6. Post #11 will show the 2 Nellies Hillside cabanas. #6 is directly over the N (Nellies Beach) and #7 will be the cabana to the left of #6. Picture taken from the ship looking at the cabanas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674206

Edited by JMG

Dolfans from Miami

We had #10 on our trip to Labadee in 2012. It was had great access to the water with the ramp that led right down to the edge of the water. We did not need the accessibility but it was a perk for us. Since you reserved an OTW with wheelchair accessibility, I would think they would assign you either #9 or #10. I would suggest that you head to Customer Service your first chance you get, and follow through to see if they are planning on giving you one of these Cabanas. It never hurts to check things out ahead of time. Did you reserve the cabana online or talk directly to someone at the booking offices? Ether way, take any paperwork you have along with you that says you booked an accessible cabana. Shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy your day on Labadee.

We had #10 on our trip to Labadee in 2012. It was had great access to the water with the ramp that led right down to the edge of the water. We did not need the accessibility but it was a perk for us. Since you reserved an OTW with wheelchair accessibility, I would think they would assign you either #9 or #10. I would suggest that you head to Customer Service your first chance you get, and follow through to see if they are planning on giving you one of these Cabanas. It never hurts to check things out ahead of time. Did you reserve the cabana online or talk directly to someone at the booking offices? Ether way, take any paperwork you have along with you that says you booked an accessible cabana. Shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy your day on Labadee.

Thank you so much, flowers, for your reply post. I greatly appreciate the information. We reserved the accessible cabana via emailing the special needs excursion desk. We have paid for the cabana and it is marked as wheelchair accessible as it appears on our cruise calendar but I will be sure to bring the email with the confirmation. I will check in with the Customer Service desk as you suggested as well. My concern is that since there are only 2 of these accessible cabanas, they will give them to someone else and there will be no way to get my mother in any of the other ones from what I can see in pictures. But hopefully this will not be the case. Did you happen to notice #9 as far as if it was shadier than #10 or if it was any less accessible to the water? I greatly appreciate all your assistance! Thanks again! :)

Dolfans from Miami

I would say that #9 and #10 are about equal in shadiness. Part of the day, the sun shines on the open deck area and then later in the day the sun moves so that it is in the shade. Both Cabanas use the same ramp into the water. The ramp comes to a "T" at the entrance level to the cabanas and you either go left or right into your cabana. When we were there, it was high tide and the water's edge was right at the bottom of the ramp, with a slow decline into the deeper water. I have seen pictures on CC where the tide is out and the walk to the water is a bit longer. That is the luck of the draw as to the tide level. The ramp is made of cement and has ridges in it so it is not slippery. There are pipe handrails down both sides of the ramp. Entering the Cabanas, I believe there was only one step into the cabana. All of the access sidewalks are flat, without steps. We were greeted when we got off the ship and given a golf cart ride to our cabana. There are cement sidewalks around Labadee, so you mom should be able to take a wheelchair ride around if she wants to. Since you made arrangements with the "special needs excursion desk, you should have no problems getting either #9 or #10 cabana. It never hurts to just check once your are onboard and it is a good idea to have your confirmation email for the accessible cabana with you. I am sure you and your mom will enjoy your day at Labadee. RCCI is very helpful with passengers with special needs. One more thing, they had special wheelchairs on Labadee with large inflated tires that are meant to wheel in the sand. You might be able to arrange for one of those through the special needs department. Again, enjoy your day on Labadee.

I would say that #9 and #10 are about equal in shadiness. Part of the day, the sun shines on the open deck area and then later in the day the sun moves so that it is in the shade. Both Cabanas use the same ramp into the water. The ramp comes to a "T" at the entrance level to the cabanas and you either go left or right into your cabana. When we were there, it was high tide and the water's edge was right at the bottom of the ramp, with a slow decline into the deeper water. I have seen pictures on CC where the tide is out and the walk to the water is a bit longer. That is the luck of the draw as to the tide level. The ramp is made of cement and has ridges in it so it is not slippery. There are pipe handrails down both sides of the ramp. Entering the Cabanas, I believe there was only one step into the cabana. All of the access sidewalks are flat, without steps. We were greeted when we got off the ship and given a golf cart ride to our cabana. There are cement sidewalks around Labadee, so you mom should be able to take a wheelchair ride around if she wants to. Since you made arrangements with the "special needs excursion desk, you should have no problems getting either #9 or #10 cabana. It never hurts to just check once your are onboard and it is a good idea to have your confirmation email for the accessible cabana with you. I am sure you and your mom will enjoy your day at Labadee. RCCI is very helpful with passengers with special needs. One more thing, they had special wheelchairs on Labadee with large inflated tires that are meant to wheel in the sand. You might be able to arrange for one of those through the special needs department. Again, enjoy your day on Labadee.

Thanks again, flowers, for all the detailed information! We are looking forward to our day in Labadee! :)

Dolfans from Miami

• 4 months later...

I just rented a beach cabana on Nellie's for our cruise next year. I am choosing beach instead of over water because we will have two small children with us.

Do you have any pictures of the beach cabanas? The view from them and the area around them. I wish they were closer to the regular lounge chairs on the beach.

Thank you!

We had a beach cabana this past January and we loved it, we had 11 in our group and we used it as our home base for the day, we only had 4 or 5 in there at one time as people were either in the water, shopping, eating or resting in the cabana. Our attendant said it was ok for the extra people to come and go from the cabana during the day.

There is a small concrete wall in front of the cabanas that you can easily see over and your cabana is probably 6' up off the ground so you have great views from up there of the ship and the beach.

The only drawback with these cabanas compared to the over the water ones is you have people walking on the path in front of the cabanas, where the over the water ones face right over the water. We like to people watch, so this didn't bother us and we could watch for members of our group.

Keith