new to Australia

cruisesusie

I recently returned from a 12 day New Zealand/ Australia cruise and was wowed by both countries. Australia is a very big country and it would be impossible to do it all in one cruise. Everyone has different tastes and interests, so I would look at each possible port and see if they offer the types of sights and activities that appeal to you. I adored Hobart. We spent half the day at a wildlife sanctuary (kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, emus and Tasmanian devils) and the rest of the day at The Taste of Tasmania Festival (I love food and wine festivals). The Salamanca area was great to browse around and the Sydney to Hobart yacht race had just ended so the harbor was filled with beautiful boats. All of this was an easy walk from the ship. Sydney was also wonderful and I could have spent days there. I climbed the Harbour Bridge and it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with any port in Australia as it is such a lovely country. Enjoy!

Given the inherent and widespread attractions, it would be difficult to go too far wrong no matter what embarkation port you choose, or which of the main itineraries you select. That said, for a first-time visitor, I recommend embarking and/or disembarking in Sydney, and arranging your schedule to spend at least a few days ashore there.

One of your most basic choices will be whether to choose a cruise that stays in Australian waters or one that crosses the Tasman Sea to New Zealand, or goes northeast to the SW Pacific islands (New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji). New Zealand is a great destination, but if you do a single combined SE Australia / N.Z. cruise, you will see only a tiny fraction of Australia (2 or 3 southeastern ports) during the cruise. If you can manage a pair of b2b cruises, then a good solution would be to combine the trans-Tasman cruise to N.Z. with a cruise north or southwest around the Australian coast.

If you are constrained to a particular season, that should have some influence on choice of itinerary, remembering that the southern hemisphere seasons are reversed relative to NJ. Cruises north from Sydney to various ports in Queensland (including access to the Great Barrier Reef) are popular and can be done through much of the year. In the southern hemisphere summer (northern winter), cruises south and west to Melbourne, Tasmania, and perhaps farther west would be good.

Beyond those options, we have enjoyed trips around both southern Australia (in the southern summer) and northern Australia (in the southern winter) all the way to Western Australia. However, those are long itineraries, and you will not be able to go everywhere during one trip unless you can stay for several months. Keep in mind that Australia is about the same size as the USA's contiguous 48 states. It may be best to concentrate on the populous and popular east coast of Australia during your first visit.

If you can spend more than just a few days ashore, then you should strongly consider extending your travel onshore. Most of Australia is not along the coast, and many of the sights are inland. Australia is a relatively easy place for North Americans to tour "on their own".

John

Edited by J-D

Thank you both for your replies. Its becoming a little clearer now. I like the suggestion of spending a few days in Sydney. We should be able to devote 3-4 weeks to the trip and I think concentrating on Australia for our first trip is a good idea. Now I just have to figure out how to endure the long flight.

Thanks,

Susan

I dreaded the flight too given that I get stiff as a board from sitting for long periods of time. We live on the West Coast and flew from San Francisco to Honolulu and then Honolulu to Auckland. I was so excited about the trip that it wasn't' too bad. Flying home seemed a lot more difficult...

Heres how to avoid the long flight. Fly Air New Zealand from Vancouver, San Francisco or Los Angeles (all daily departures) to Auckland (New Zealand). Spend a day or two there then fly onto Melbourne or Sydney . Do a 14 night round trip New Zealand cruise with Princess from either Sydney or Melbourne.

Then spend a few days each in Sydney and Melbourne before/after your cruise . Travel between Sydney/Melbourne by daylight XPT train ( 11hours) to see the countryside rather than fly . Return home to US again via Auckland .

Thank you both for your replies. Its becoming a little clearer now. I like the suggestion of spending a few days in Sydney. We should be able to devote 3-4 weeks to the trip and I think concentrating on Australia for our first trip is a good idea. Now I just have to figure out how to endure the long flight.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan,

Anthony from Stewartsville here, leaving on Qantas out of JFK on Wednesday. We have a 2-1/2 hr. stop in LAX, then off to Sydney & finally on to Auckland. If you like, I'll let you know if the flight was very difficult to endure. We leave Wednesday evening and arrive in Auckland early Friday evening. :eek:

Stay well,

Anthony

We're thinking of booking a cruise to Australia and know absolutely nothing about any of the ports

Susan

Avoid the long flight - well at least one way, consider a Trans pacific and New Zealand cruise. Crystal Cruises have a back to back later this year that would fit the bill and you could spend sometime in Australia after arriving in Sydney

Here's a link to the cruise @ http://www.crystalcruises.com/atlantic-cruise/san-diego-to-sydney--4225-4226

If you can afford three months (I know, sounds ridiculous) you can do what we are doing:

B2B on Royal's Radiance of the seas, Sydney to Sydney. 33 days. Hits the southern island of New Zealand and circumnavigates Australia.

We then spend 23 days touring Eastern Australia including Tasmania, Great Ocean Road near Melbourne, Cairns, Gold Coast and then back to Sydney.

Then we jump on Celebrity Solstice for a B2B transpacific including stops in the northern island of New Zealand, French Polynesia, around Hawaii and on to Vancouver. 28 days. That avoids the long flight home for sure!

We leave for Sydney in 2 weeks! This trip has been almost two years in the planning.

I dreaded the flight too given that I get stiff as a board from sitting for long periods of time. We live on the West Coast and flew from San Francisco to Honolulu and then Honolulu to Auckland. I was so excited about the trip that it wasn't' too bad. Flying home seemed a lot more difficult...

Air New Zealand have a moderate-length (about 8 hr) daytime flight from Auckland to Honolulu (though not every day of the week, as I recall). After spending one or more nights on Oahu, you could fly from HNL to SFO on a daytime flight, thus avoiding the scourge of overnight flights.

John

Does anyone have any suggestions for the Qantas flight from Dallas to Brisbane/Sydney. Are there seats to avoid in coach class? Am not looking forward to this flight, but was my only option. I am quite tall and have experienced metal boxes under the seat ahead of me on flights to Europe. Very uncomfortable. Spending 6 nights in Sydney before cruising from Sydney to San Francisco. At least I must fly only one way. Thanks for your ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the Qantas flight from Dallas to Brisbane/Sydney. Are there seats to avoid in coach class? Am not looking forward to this flight, but was my only option. I am quite tall and have experienced metal boxes under the seat ahead of me on flights to Europe. Very uncomfortable. Spending 6 nights in Sydney before cruising from Sydney to San Francisco. At least I must fly only one way. Thanks for your ideas.

Hi Motorclubmom,

This web site should help: http://www.seatguru.com/

Just look up the model aircraft that Qantas uses for their Dallas to Brisbane/Sydney flights. Then click on that model aircraft under Qantas and a seat diagram will be illustrated. The diagram indicates which seats have space restrictions and which are more desirable.

Stay well,

Corgiguy

I did the Australia to US flight a few years ago and yes it is hard, but if you are spending a reasonable time in your destination it is worth it. just pick the flight as best you can. The best tip I can give is to avoid your US carriers and go for one of the Aussie companies - the US carriers (Delta and United) put their old planes (and I think older hosties) on these runs so you are stuck with central mini TV's playing a set entertainment package and cabins that are a bit tired. Qantas and Virgin Australia both have individual seat back entertainment and the planes are fresher - the entertainment is critical to helping those 15 hours fly by.

If you fly Virgin Australia and can afford the little extra then Premium Economy is worth the extra. for tall people you get the extra width and length, the food is a little better and you get better service than in cattle class. when I went it added about half again to my fare.

the other option is Hawaian Air - this gives you a nice stop over, I think it breaks down to 5hrs/9hrs from the US.

for cruise stops - I am sure you will love whatever you choose - If you head north from Sydney you are going into the tropical areas so hot and humid. Brisbane is the northern capital with beach side cities like the Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast (possibly a bit like Florida). Darwin is at the top of the country, now heavily populated by mining folk but also very multicultural between immigration and our original Australians.

heading south you will get dryer heat and cooler temperatures - Melbourne is a cosmopolitan city, lots of culture, good coffee and a different feel to Sydney (think San Francisco v's LA). Hobart and Tasmania have a very different feel to the mainland, the food always comes up and the landscape is different - lovely mountains etc.

if you are basing in Sydney then take some time to see the City and also travel into the countryside like the Blue Mountains for some contrast. If you have a couple of days it is also worth taking the train down to Canberra, our national capital, to see the national institutions around the central city area.

We are doing an Aukland to Sydney cruise next Jan. What airline did you fly with a layover in Honolulu---Hawaiian? Thanks for your help.

Hi Susan,

Anthony from Stewartsville here, leaving on Qantas out of JFK on Wednesday. We have a 2-1/2 hr. stop in LAX, then off to Sydney & finally on to Auckland. If you like, I'll let you know if the flight was very difficult to endure. We leave Wednesday evening and arrive in Auckland early Friday evening. :eek:

Stay well,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Sorry to jump in, but please let us know how your flight goes. We have to decide to fly into Sydney or directly to Aukland from LAX. How much shorter is the flight to Aukland from Los Angeles? Enjoy your trip!

Linda

Hi Anthony,

Sorry to jump in, but please let us know how your flight goes. We have to decide to fly into Sydney or directly to Aukland from LAX. How much shorter is the flight to Aukland from Los Angeles? Enjoy your trip!

Linda

I am pretty sure the flight Sydney to Auckland is around 2 hours. You would save about that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

I am pretty sure the flight Sydney to Auckland is around 2 hours. You would save about that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! We are hoping we can break up the trip by flying through Honolulu rather than direct from LAX, but I am afraid the cost may be prohibitive, and we are trying to use our air miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Susan. The Los Angeles to Sydney or Melbourne is a long flight but one we Australians take for granted as part of travelling to/from USA? I've done Qantas from Melbourne three times in the past 12 months. Aircraft used are the relatively new A380. The main hassles are the immigration queues/lines at Los Angeles (coming from Australia) and the customs queues/lines entering Australia. Prepare for a wait if 30-60 minutes in each case. The high Australian dollar will make Australia expensive for USA visitors but prices are generally inclusive with no extra tax or tip. Enjoy your holiday/vacation "down under"!

Exchange rates fluctuate. As of today, $1.00 US would get you $1.11 AUS, so I terms of exchange, the USD is stronger. Despite this, I found everything in AUS to be more expensive than in the US. However, this didn't stop me from having a great time!

I would also suggest looking at the pricing of premium economy flights. I have flown with Virgin Australia between Sydney and Abu Dhabi twice now (14 flight) with Virgin Australia and have been very happy with the service.

It is quite likely that QANTAS also offers you premium economy. Check the prices for both compared to economy -you may be surprised.

If you are worried about the cost of everything in Australia, you need to remember that it is a "no tipping" country. Tipping is reserved for truly exceptional service only.