Hawaii question

syr101

My wife and I are flying in from the east coast on a Saturday and our cruise leaves on a Monday. After a long flight from the east coast we were considering just finding a nice beach front hotel for Saturday and Sunday and hanging on the beach. Monday we board, would this be a good day to rent a car to see Pearl Harbor and other sites. Is there a certain time we need to check in by. Or do you think we should rent the car on Sunday before we board to see the sites. What if we got stuck in traffic on Monday and didn't board until say 8pm would that be ok. What are your ideas. thanks for the help.

What time does your cruise leave on Monday? Unless it's doing an overnight, you will probably need to be on board way before 8 PM, usually 2 hours before sailing. I would do your sightseeing the day before. In general, most cruises start boarding about 11:30 AM, and that continues through the day, with cabins being open about 1:30.

My wife and I are flying in from the east coast on a Saturday and our cruise leaves on a Monday. After a long flight from the east coast we were considering just finding a nice beach front hotel for Saturday and Sunday and hanging on the beach. Monday we board, would this be a good day to rent a car to see Pearl Harbor and other sites. Is there a certain time we need to check in by. Or do you think we should rent the car on Sunday before we board to see the sites. What if we got stuck in traffic on Monday and didn't board until say 8pm would that be ok. What are your ideas. thanks for the help.

Do you overnight in Honolulu?

Is so, you should have plenty of time to get to the ship, if she doesn't sail until the following day, but I would let the ship know that you may be boarding late.

You can pre book your entry time into Pearl Harbour, to avoid the early starts.

The US Parks web site takes bookings.

We stayed at the Ilakai Hotel( next to the Hilton Village) it has a wide beach, much wider than Wakaki.

Rent a car and get out of Honullu, you can rent through Costco at a very good rate.

You pick up from the airport.

Buy a few leis there from the ladies they have stands and make them ( ask at the rental) they have the best prices and start your trip right.

You can return your vehicle to the airport and they have a shuttle to the boat.

Book your Pearl Harbour tour early as you will be assigned a ferry time over to the Arizona but it will get very busy and crowded to walk through the museums later in the day. You can do this the morning you board. It is close to the airport.

Save time for the beach.

Head to Hanuama Bay 1st thing as it gets crowded and parking is limited.

Best snorkeling on the island we just did the Millie Trans pacific in Nov and snorkeled Hanuama, Tahiti, Moreau, Borea Borea, Fiji, New Caledonia, Airlie beach & Cairns ( Great Barrier reef ) and it is right up there.

http://www.hanauma-bay-hawaii.com/

Then drive to Halona Blow hole were they filmed "Here to Eternity" if you are nimble you can climb down for a swim and maybe an enactment of the kiss in the waves! We did.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29222-d1027537-Reviews-Halona_Blowhole-Oahu_Hawaii.html

Then continue to Bellows beach it is serene and almost always empty, you will likely get to see a few Japanese brides and grooms show up in limos for a photo session.

The beach is one the best we have been on anywhere, huge and very secluded what you think a Hawaiian beach should be.

On the way to bellows you will pass a few Hawaiian style Local restaurants don't let the exteriors intimidate pull in for local fare. Try a Moco loco or fresh fish, you will pass food trucks as well that do mainly fresh shrimp. There is a Mc'Ds there as well if you want but why?http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60662-d2079983-Reviews-Bellows_Field_Beach_Park-Waimanalo_Oahu_Hawaii.html

You will pass the Sea park during this drive, come back here for the Chief's Luau in the evening. We have done the big ones before this one is a little more local and not as grand, crowded or expensive we enjoyed it.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60662-d3139142-Reviews-Chief_s_Luau_at_Sea_Life_Park-Waimanalo_Oahu_Hawaii.html

After you check in on the ship you can walk off the ship and wander Waikiki you don't need to spend much time there as it is a tourist trap, use a taxi or bus and get back in time for sailing.

Ua hau'oli

Edited by baldercash

Baldercash - We fly in on Saturday from a long flight. We do not need to board the ship until Monday. Would you suggest I do your itinerary on Sunday or Monday. The ship does not leave port until Tuesday.

I assume you are staying in Waikiki?

Check in and wander a bit, walk the beach, visit Royal Hawaiian, have a drink at a touristy bar, check the stores, use the Hotel pool and get your Island legs, buy your sovereigns if you are into that. Have dinner in the area and walk the area at night, very different to the day.

You will have jet lag so you will be up early Monday so you can hit the beaches and Luau Sunday. It will be a full day but very do able. There are look outs and others sites on the way so you can take your time.

If you are not into snorkeling you can scope out Hanauma bay from the cliff and don't need to pay to get in and go down the road to the beach. You need to sit in a seminar about park use that is about 15 minutes long before you can enter the park. Only 30 or so people at a time can take it so it controls flow into the park. About 2 hours of swimming and such is a good length of time there.

Another possibility is to climb Diamond head but you also want to hit that early because of the parking and temperature is milder in the morning. If you are relatively fit it is not that tough but everyone has different thresholds. I am 60 and except for sweating profusely I did not find it a challenge.

Many cruisers say Oahu is not worth visiting, I would refute that as we spent 8 days in a house rental before our cruise last fall November and had a wonderful time and never went to Waikiki except to drive through it one evening on our way back from a Hawaiian University football game.

That was our 4th time to Hawaii and all the islands are great!

Edited by baldercash

Have visited Pearl Harbour a couple of times - both times just took the bus from Waikiki and walked in. Will be visiting with friends pre cruise in October and have just tried to make an online booking. Does anyone know how far ahead these tours can be booked. The response on the website was "no times available" for that date.

Not sure we did not book on line we just showed up near opening time and were assigned a ferry. We had 10am so we had time to walk through the museums and then you meet for a film before boarding.

We spent about 4 hours there and I saw and read just about everything. You can rent head sets as well.

Have visited Pearl Harbour a couple of times - both times just took the bus from Waikiki and walked in. Will be visiting with friends pre cruise in October and have just tried to make an online booking. Does anyone know how far ahead these tours can be booked. The response on the website was "no times available" for that date.

Hi,

6 months...

Here's info from NPS site:

Update - The booking window is as follows:

As of June 1st, next-day online reservations are available. Tickets can be reserved online up to 8:00 pm Hawaii Time the night before, or they can be reserved through the call center up to 6:00 pm the night before. Also, the reservation window is now six months, not three months.

Woody

Hi,

6 months...

Here's info from NPS site:

Update - The booking window is as follows:

As of June 1st, next-day online reservations are available. Tickets can be reserved online up to 8:00 pm Hawaii Time the night before, or they can be reserved through the call center up to 6:00 pm the night before. Also, the reservation window is now six months, not three months.

Woody

Thank you - much appreciate your reply. Must have missed this info when I was on the website.