first time cruiser

I'm going on my first cruise in May with the royal Caribbean on the Allure. any tips so I can enjoy my experience to the fullest? I'm 21 and going with my parents, niece and one of my girlfriends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read some of the reviews, make reservations for the shows, figure out what you want to do in the ports and make reservations. Can't always count on getting the excursion you want last minute. Most important of all have fun!

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Using the Search bar at the top of the threads after signing in, search for a review of the Allure of the Seas by Gambee. It is very detailed and practically a guide for everything on the ship, as well as being quite entertaining. By reading all of the questions and answers posted during his laborious review process, you'll learn much about the ship, the ports (his review was of the Western Caribbean itinerary) and just cruising in general.

Wow, the Allure for your first cruise? You sure went straight to the top!!!:D

Enjoy

These will get you started

You are going to have so much fun.

A little planning is needed for shows etc.

http://cruisewithgambee.com

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/32/allure-of-the-seas-/

http://www.******************.com/cruise-compass

Royal Caribbean blog. All one word.

Edited by SConnolly

Oh how exciting! Are niece and GF close to your age? Ill assume GF is, and along with others suggest you read some reviews - if you go to "search tools" and "search this forum" at the top, you can search by user name...look for Littlemissmagic and search "all posts by" (for some strange reason "all threads started by" isn't working) She and her 20 something sister sail with their parents and reviews are excellent, with lots of photos and ideas of things to do.

My own Allure review (linked in my signature) features some tips from my 16 and 18 yo's about where to meet other young folks; because they were split in "teen club" ages, they found and hung with their own group of 15- 20 yo's. of course you and possibly your GF can go to the lounges for a drink; but there are plenty of other fun stuff to do too!

Here's my list of things to check out and find other young folks:

-Karoke nights

- cantilevered hot tubs (DD met a fellow there and they are still in touch today!)

-White party and silent parties (have to be 21)

-Watching the "action" at the Flowrider (there are bleachers there, it's in the sun, a bar nearby and it's very youthful and entertaining and it makes everyone very "approachable" )

- pre book the comedy show (18+) late night will be a younger and edgier show

-participate in Quest a late night adult game show held near the end of the cruise

-if you get a group together, it would be fun to schedule Ritas Fiesta together, there is bad Mexican food, three yummy margaritas and a live DJ, all for just a few extra bucks!

Once you find some folks, it's tough to communicate (I know many young folks are accustomed to texting as the primary meeting up tool, and can't do that on the ship) So go old school and try to make a time every evening (usually after late dinner at 10 ish) where you will plan to meet each night and collect your group, then make decisions about what to do next. The chairs by the Starbucks, or Sorrentos pizza or On Air on the Royal Promenade are all good places where you can see and be seen by other young folks looking for company:D

Edited by Familygoboston

I'm going on my first cruise in May with the royal Caribbean on the Allure. any tips so I can enjoy my experience to the fullest? I'm 21 and going with my parents, niece and one of my girlfriends.

You picked a grat ship for your first cruise! There are lots of fun things to do on board. Look in my signature, you will see a link to a review I posted of the Allure. Just click on it and read away! :)

And welcome to CruiseCritic!!!!

Edited by Eng23

Bring nice comfy shoes, speciality restaurant are a MUST. Explore the ship. Plan your days. You can find "Compass" on what is done on most days. You would hate to stay up and miss something early next day. Plan and ask. We are here.

• 2 weeks later...
what are some of the things you do to prepare yourself for a cruise? I heard there is an outbreak of sicknesses on cruises... any kind of shots or pills I could take to be more protected?

When I was your age I'd have got my money's worth on the all you can drink package. Check it out.

We'll, if you don't want to throw up for 7 days, don't take Dr Ds advice:rolleyes:

As for getting sick, the best thing you can do is wash your hands well and frequently, don't hold handrails on the stairs. There are no pills or shots for these viruses, but you can avoid getting them by washing well, and not touching things lots of others are touching.

I'm a drinker so I wouldn't be doing any throwing up haha. but i want to get up early and do activities instead of stay up all night. probably will only really party two nights.

but okay I'll try to keep my hands to myself lol

I'm just so excited,

I want to keep asking questions, everyone is getting somewhat annoyed with me haha. can you clearly see the stars on the allure? or do they keep all the lights on the ship so it's not very visible?

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but, check out your Roll Call (link is at the top left of the thread with a star near it). Sign up and introduce yourself. There may be some people in your age range or perhaps they have adult children/grandchildren sailing in their group. If enough people sign up on RC's "MEET AND MINGLE" website, they host a party for you (light appetizers, punch) and have a few raffle and door prizes (some of which is free ship-internet minutes).

Just a suggestion. I am sure you will have a great time with your family and friends.

Brig

Edited by Brigbound
meet and mingle is what RCI calls the party

• 2 weeks later...