Create My Own Tour?

RockyTopMom

We're not snorkel or scuba people, but we like to sitesee on many of the Islands we visit. We have two stops on a b2b to the Bahamas, one is to Nassau and the other is CoCO Cay. As we feel that CoCo Cay will probably be an all day beach day, we would like to sightsee while we are in Nassau.

Does anyone know of a tour company or would trying to hire a car and driver for a couple of hours make more sense to be able to see some or all of the following? Ardastra Gardens, Status of Christopher Columbus, Hog Island Lighthouse, Pirates of Nassau Wax Museum, The Queens Staircase, The Water Tower and view, Fort Charlotte, a Fish Fry at Arawak Cay and the Gregory Arch.

We are big camera people and just want to see much of the area and have photos to bring home with us for the album.

So, tour company???(Name or contact/email info) or hire a taxi for a couple hours? (approx cost??)

Thanks to any and all with suggestions for us.

Edited by RockyTopMom

Why not walk it? Google Frommer's Walking Tour Nassau and you'll find a map of downtown Nassau and a description of many historical locations. You could hit the Fort Fincastle, the Queen's Staircase, the Pirate Museum and the Government House (with Christopher Columbus) one day. On the other day, take the #10 bus or a taxi to get to Ardastra Gardens, Fort Charlotte and the Fish Fry.

Graycliff (historic hotel and chocolate factory) and John Watling's distillery are also nice places to check out downtown.

The water tower isn't open for climbing anymore but you can see the outside from Fort Fincastle. Also, the lighthouse isn't accessible but you can get great photos of it when your ship pulls into Nassau. Be sure to be on deck for that.

Thanks fo the walking tour idea. I'll check that out. If I take the #10 bus out to Ardastra Garden, can I get a taxi there to come back to the cruise port without too big of a problem?? Are there taxi's around that area?

Thanks,

You might have to wait a bit for a taxi to drop someone off. There are tons of taxis at the port so you could always take a taxi to Ardastra and then the #10 bus back to town. The bus stop is by the Fish Fry and Ardastra is a short walk up the hill from there. The buses come by every few minutes.

One more idea, if you like to sightsee and take pictures, is to take a taxi to the Cloisters on Paradise Island. The Cloisters are the remains of an old French monastery set in a small garden. It's very scenic and unique. While you're on Paradise Island, take a long walk down Cabbage Beach. The water is just gorgeous.

Last time I was in Nassau I walked it. My sister is a smoker and not in good condition so getting around was a trick. I lured her up the queens staircase a few steps at a time. I told her I was just going to go up a little ways and look around. Of course every time I stopped I found something fabulous that she just had to see.

This time I've signed up for a people to people tour. The Bahamian tour industry assigns you a tour guide. They will take you around to the things that interest you. It's free and the reviews I've seen have been excellent. Just go to the Bahamas tourism site. It's got a link for the people to people project. It will ask you for information about you and what you want to do.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Splendor 11/1/14