Beverage package, is it worth it?

molly5673

[quote name='clarea']Here's the description of the packages:

[URL]http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/pdf/beverage_packages.pdf[/URL]

The Ultimate adds premium coffee/tea, sparkling water, and fresh squeezed OJ to the Premium package.[/QUOTE]

Premium coffees yes, but be aware it DOES NOT include Starbucks. We spent a lot of $ during our last cruise on specialty coffees at the coffee shop. The coffees included in your package are coffees from the bars, not Starbucks. Which means the Premium package isn't as attractive to us.

[quote name='clarea']Here's the description of the packages:

[URL]http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/pdf/beverage_packages.pdf[/URL]

The Ultimate adds premium coffee/tea, sparkling water, and fresh squeezed OJ to the Premium package.[/QUOTE]

Thank u again!

[quote name='bchalker']You absolutely CAN buy it onboard as long as you have 4 days remaining on the cruise.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. My cruise planner for Liberty Of the Seas ( sailing in 21 days ) tell me I have to purchase the package by 2/6. 4 days prior to sailing.

[quote name='Lionesss']We just stick to the soda package.

We enjoy a few drinks before dinner in the CL

If we want a drink at dinner or a show we just buy it. Most of the time we dont.

Between the two of us our booze purchase has always been less than $100 dollars for the whole cruise.

Sea Ya[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this is thread hi jacking, but please explain what the CL is.

[quote name='Reina del Mar']Sorry if this is thread hi jacking, but please explain what the CL is.[/quote]
Concierge Lounge. This is a lounge that certain suites and C&A level guests have access to, one of whose perks is a nightly cocktail party from 5pm to 8:30pm with complimentary drinks. Edited by clarea

[quote name='Charmdmsure']Hmmm. My cruise planner for Liberty Of the Seas ( sailing in 21 days ) tell me I have to purchase the package by 2/6. 4 days prior to sailing.[/quote]

Yes, that's if you wish to purchase online.There's a cutoff for all pre-cruise online purchases. You can still buy it once you get on the ship. Edited by The Sunset Glow

[quote name='clarea']Concierge Lounge. This is a lounge that certain suites and C&A level guests have access to, one of whose perks is a nightly cocktail party from 5pm to 8:30pm with complimentary drinks.[/QUOTE]

Thank you....my lowly balcony cabin and couple of RCCL cruise don't take me there yet, but good to have something to aspire to.

[quote name='Charmdmsure']Hmmm. My cruise planner for Liberty Of the Seas ( sailing in 21 days ) tell me I have to purchase the package by 2/6. 4 days prior to sailing.[/QUOTE]

Yes if you want to buy it ONLINE you have to do it early. Has NOTHING to do with buying it on the ship.

[quote name='Charmdmsure']Can't cancel. And you can't buy it once on board. Up to 4 days before the cruise.[/quote]

Both responses are wrong.

You can cancel but you will pay for any drinks that had previously been purchased.

You can purchase before hand (up to 4 days before the cruise) or wait until on the ship.

[quote name='Charmdmsure']Can't cancel. And you can't buy it once on board. Up to 4 days before the cruise.[/QUOTE]

First of all…welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can cancel but will be liable for all items purchased on board at the current prices per item.

You have up to 4 days before the cruise to purchase online. Once on board you can purchase the package immediately. They will have a table set up for this, it is hard to miss when boarding.

If you get the Select package but decide that you want a liquor drink once in a while, do you pay full price for the liquor drink or would it be the difference between that and whatever the price is for something included? I saw that if you buy the Premium package you would pay the difference for a higher priced drink, but didn't know if it would work the same way for lower packages.

Can each person in a stateroom order a different package?

Thanks! Edited by linswi
found an answer to one of my questions! Also, added to an original question

I have a few questions:

1)
If you buy a package let's say day 5 of a 12 night cruise (it's possible up to 4 days before the end of your cruise) what happens to the price is it 12 x $55 premium package and all the drinks for the first 5 days fall into the package and nothing will be charged (yep the $55 but nothing extra) or 7 x $55 the remaining days will be charged and previous drinks are your own extra cost???

2)
Radiance of the Seas doesn't have the freestyle coke machines.
Is there a zero product (coke zero, sprite zero or fanta zero) available??? And diet isn't zero i ask specifick for zero because of a diabetic.

3)
Is a malibu coke or rum coke included in the Premium package if not is it included in the Ultimate package?!

Thanks

We are new to cruising but from reading all the posts here, I think we will do the following:
DH will get the premium package, he likes a beer or two during the day, and is happy with house wine the rest of the evening. He will use the 20% discount on bottles of wine to get me the wine I like, to share with our friends cruising with us, that is if there's any left!:D
I will keep watching this thread to see more input as people return from their cruises, but this plan seems to fit how we drink at home.
Does anyone have more information on carafes of house wine?

[quote name='linswi']If you get the Select package but decide that you want a liquor drink once in a while, do you pay full price for the liquor drink or would it be the difference between that and whatever the price is for something included? I saw that if you buy the Premium package you would pay the difference for a higher priced drink, but didn't know if it would work the same way for lower packages.

Can each person in a stateroom order a different package?

Thanks![/quote]
There's no credit for buying a cocktail if you have only purchased the Select package. Each person in the stateroom can purchase a different (or no) package.

[quote name='yvet']I have a few questions:

1)
If you buy a package let's say day 5 of a 12 night cruise (it's possible up to 4 days before the end of your cruise) what happens to the price is it 12 x $55 premium package and all the drinks for the first 5 days fall into the package and nothing will be charged (yep the $55 but nothing extra) or 7 x $55 the remaining days will be charged and previous drinks are your own extra cost??? [COLOR=Red]It's 7 x $55 and previous drinks remain on the bill.[/COLOR]

2)
Radiance of the Seas doesn't have the freestyle coke machines.
Is there a zero product (coke zero, sprite zero or fanta zero) available??? And diet isn't zero i ask specifick for zero because of a diabetic. [COLOR=Red]No, the only diet drink available from the fountain is Diet Coke.[/COLOR]

3)
Is a malibu coke or rum coke included in the Premium package if not is it included in the Ultimate package?! [COLOR=Red]Don't know about Malibu, but Rum & Coke is included in the Premium package. There is no difference in which alcoholic drinks are included between the Premium and Ultimate packages.
[/COLOR]
Thanks[/quote]
See answers in [COLOR=Red]RED[/COLOR] above.

[quote name='readytolose']Both responses are wrong.

You can cancel but you will pay for any drinks that had previously been purchased.

You can purchase before hand (up to 4 days before the cruise) or wait until on the ship.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about this?

If so that is a hugely important piece of info.

Like many I'm on the fence about the package because I'm not sure I'll drink enough to make it worthwhile.

If as you say I can cancel and simply pay for the drinks I've had, that removes any risk of not getting my money's worth. It seems like then you could buy package and at end of cruise if you didn't drink that much you could cancel and be no worse of than if you never bought package.

Seems too good to be true.

[quote name='DrD']Are you sure about this?

Like many I'm on the fence about the package because I'm not sure I'll drink enough to make it worthwhile.

If as you say I can cancel and simply pay for the drinks I've had, that removes any risk of not getting my money's worth. It seems like then you could buy package and at end of cruise if you didn't drink that much you could cancel and be no worse of than if you never bought package.

Seems too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

I am also curious. That is true that if you end up not drinking that much you can just get a refund and be charged for what you did drink.
You'd probably have to keep track on your own though.

[quote name='DrD']Are you sure about this?

[COLOR=Red]If as you say I can cancel and simply pay for the drinks I've had, that removes any risk of not getting my money's worth.[/COLOR] It seems like then you could buy package and at end of cruise if you didn't drink that much you could cancel and be no worse of than if you never bought package.

Seems too good to be true.[/quote]
I would confirm this on board, from the Beverage Manager, before you purchase. Seems to good to be true to me too.

[quote name='lp3556']A quick question about use of the drink package on RCL's private island -- can it be used when visiting Labadee?[/QUOTE]

YEs You can drink in Labadee on the drink package.
The bars on the Island are pretty sorry IMO.... I really expected better.
But they serve drinks!!!!! and the package is accepted.

[quote name='JohnSnowGOT']YEs You can drink in Labadee on the drink package.
The bars on the Island are pretty sorry IMO.... I really expected better.
But they serve drinks!!!!! and the package is accepted.[/QUOTE]

We were at Labadee on Saturday. They ran out of Labadoozies by about noon. Bars closed at 2 - we were scheduled to be there until 4:30. I think they ran out of booze. One in our party (with the drinks package) wanted a beer at lunch time and they only had one kind left.

The Explorer and Grandeur were both there. I wondered if the drink packages contributed to the well running dry. I was surprised they were not better prepared.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='Halehuaka_i']We are new to cruising but from reading all the posts here, I think we will do the following:
DH will get the premium package, he likes a beer or two during the day, and is happy with house wine the rest of the evening. He will use the 20% discount on bottles of wine to get me the wine I like, to share with our friends cruising with us, that is if there's any left!:D
I will keep watching this thread to see more input as people return from their cruises, but this plan seems to fit how we drink at home.
Does anyone have more information on carafes of house wine?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good plan, however the premium package lets you chose other wines up to $12 beside the house, so let hubby expand his palate and enjoy.

:-)