Soto's or Dexter's for Stingray City

extremeplanner

I am trying to decide on a tour while we are in Grand Cayman in May. We typically do not book tours but it looks like that's the only way to do Stingray City. Has anyone used either Soto's or Dexter's Fantasea Tours? I would also be interested in any other suggestions.

We took Dexter's YEARS ago, maybe in 2002? We had a great time. It was just me, my father and my brother. It was nice to have the boat all to ourselves. We arrived before all the other boats did, so the city wasn't crowded.

The only thing is we were picked up a little late. When you book, make sure you tell them if you are scheduling "cruise time" or "local time."

I am trying to decide on a tour while we are in Grand Cayman in May. We typically do not book tours but it looks like that's the only way to do Stingray City. Has anyone used either Soto's or Dexter's Fantasea Tours? I would also be interested in any other suggestions.

In May, I did the Stingray City tour in Grand Cayman! It was perfect! I was on a Carnival ship, and booked an excursion called Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar through Carnival. The company they use is called MarineLand Tours. They have contracts with Carnival, but I don't know about other cruise lines. The tour was the coolest thing I have ever done. I have a sever low back injury, so the appeal for me was the boat they use. it has steps on the back that go all the way down to the sand bar. Its very easy to get into the water and very easy to get out. The people that operate the tour are amazing! Here is where they differ from other companies: You are allowed to take all of your own pics, and videos!!!! On the ride out, they had workers walking around on the boat asking us if we wanted them to take a pic of us with our cameras! Then after helping everyone get into the water, they took pics of us holding and feeding, and kissing the stingrays, and they gave us information about the rays, and how they live, their predators, etc. it was awesome. They sell beverages onboard, but you can bring your own food and drinks. THEY HAVE CLEAN RESTROOMS ONBOARD THE SHIP AND SHOWERS OUTSIDE AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS TO RINSE THE SALT WATER OFF WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!! I live in Texas, and I do not work for them. I kinda wish I did! It was an amazing experience!

We've just booked with Dexter's Fantasea Tours for our April cruise. Can't wait. Has anyone else been on his tour? I'm a bit confused about the times. We arrive at 7 am (not sure if this is the ship time or local time) and then we have booked the early tour at 8.30...hope we will make it. Will email Dexter and see what he says!

I have the exact same concern. We come in a 7:00am (local or ship time?) and Dexter's email said to verify the time we come in. Not sure how to do this. Ideas?

I guess that's the same reply we got...and I'm still confused:)

I WILL BE AT THE CRUSIE TERMINAL WITH MY SIGN AT = 7:45am = ISLAND TIME

PLEASE CONFIRM WITH AN = ON BOARD REP. = IF THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ISLAND AND SHIP'S TIME

I emailed another company I'm interested in, just to see if their tour started later, but their meeting time is at 8.15 so kind of the same....so I guess this is the time they all start their morning tour maybe...Have tried to figure out local time vs. ship time but doesn't really get it. If it's the same time then I guess you just need to try to get off the ship as early as possible. As I've never cruised before I get a little stressed about the whole thing...If you're lucky, local time may be one hour later (but I think it's the same time)..

I think I will just choose one of the two companies I've been in touch with and hope for the best. But if anyone knows anything about the time difference etc, please share your experience!

Thank you

Edited by Linnearose

Cayman stays on Eastern Standard Time all year round. In the winter, Cayman is the same time as Miami. In the summer, when the US switches to daylight savings time, Cayman is the same time as Chicago, i.e. one hour behind Miami time.

Edited by bookbabe