A Warning About Laundry Service on NCL

aimathy

Is the laundry service the same whether one uses the itemized laundry list or the bag special ?

My hope now is to send out the "good stuff" on a pay by piece basis and use the bag special for the more hardy items i.e. socks, jeans.

I went on 'behind the scenes tour' on the Star. It included thorough tour of laundry. No difference between 'piece by piece' service and bag special.

I went on 'behind the scenes tour' on the Star. It included thorough tour of laundry. No difference between 'piece by piece' service and bag special.

Well that is disturbing! I thought the piece by piece service on NCL at least included ironing but I guess each cruise line has its own standards. This could be a long not so delightful cruise.

I am familiar with the term - "it is only a policy." That is the lowest level of 'the law' and just a starting point. If I relied on Policy, I would get nowhere. As far as the comment "where is the poor customer service?" this is my thought - and you are entitled to your own. I have a middle class job and earn maybe $17 an hour (assuming 24 hours in a day). I don't want to spend two hours arguing a case - over a hundred dollar or so dispute - that is a waste of time. Further - I am on vacation - which means if you divide the cost of the cruise up, it is more like $37 an hour. I really don't want to waste that. Good customer service is getting you in and out in as short a time as practical. That is good customer service. Handing the person the direction (policy?) and telling that they can take it up with HQ at their leisure would have saved this waste of vacation.

As an aside, $17/hr 24 hr day? Creative accounting, eh? $51/hr 8 hr day... ;)

That's a very unfortunate thing to happen, and an even worse customer service experience. I am think that this would be more than enough reason to reduce your "Service Charge" down to "$0" and have that be the way to recoup your losses.

That's a very unfortunate thing to happen, and an even worse customer service experience. I am think that this would be more than enough reason to reduce your "Service Charge" down to "$0" and have that be the way to recoup your losses.

So the staff should be stiffed? Really? If this happened on land, and you took them to court, the most you would be offered is compensation for the current value of the clothes, not the replacement value. How much is a small bag of used t-shirts and shorts worth? Not even $50.

I would never do this. You would not be hurting NCL only the other employees who I assume earned the DSC with excellent service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

NCL "stiffs" you, so now you stiff your room attendant,etc.?

Really?

So, to recoup your loss you would stiff your cabin steward, waiters, etc??

If you remove the service charge then any cash tips you give in person must be turned in so they can be pooled. Your cabin steward would end up with less money for his work attending your cabin.

Well that is disturbing! I thought the piece by piece service on NCL at least included ironing but I guess each cruise line has its own standards. This could be a long not so delightful cruise.

Even though ironing of each individual garment is an extra charge, after washing the garment the cruise line puts shirts and slacks through a machine that presses them so they are returned almost wrinkle free. No additional fee.

NCL "stiffs" you, so now you stiff your room attendant,etc.?

Really?

So, to recoup your loss you would stiff your cabin steward, waiters, etc??

If you remove the service charge then any cash tips you give in person must be turned in so they can be pooled. Your cabin steward would end up with less money for his work attending your cabin.

Glad I wasn't the only one, trying to understand the logic in that comment.

based on my experience with the half price laundry deal on the Carnival Freedom during our 2008 Med cruise.....I would not give my laundry over to the steward again even if it were free.

It was too late in the cruise to complain or get a refund and time was precious but lets just say I doubt they even used detergent.

I haven't read all the posts, just the first 2 pages and this one so perhaps its been brought up.

Has anyone ever thought that the 'oily' stains were melted chapstick or lip balm type product. I tend to wash them in my uniform pockets quite often and they do leave a 'grease' stain, and its worse when they go through the dryer. However, the stains do remove in the next washing so its no big deal.

Be sure to check pockets carefully for things like this. Just saying an ounce of prevention...;)

Edited by Sauer-kraut

And make a profit to boot. Awful suggestion to stiff the hardworking staff over some used knit shirts and a missing sock, ugh.

I had to add my experience with laundry. 98% of the time, excellent. They lost one item on one cruise but it was found within minutes of telling the room steward. I've also had the greasy marks over a good portion of the front of a t shirt. They offered to rewash it but I declined and marked it up to experience. Once I was home, I sprayed the daylights out of it and rewashed it and it was fine again.

I have no problem sending most of my clothing to the laundry but I won't risk anything delicate or expensive.

I had to add my experience with laundry. 98% of the time, excellent. They lost one item on one cruise but it was found within minutes of telling the room steward. I've also had the greasy marks over a good portion of the front of a t shirt. They offered to rewash it but I declined and marked it up to experience. Once I was home, I sprayed the daylights out of it and rewashed it and it was fine again.

I have no problem sending most of my clothing to the laundry but I won't risk anything delicate or expensive.

Perfect advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free