Suggestions for post cruise in San Juan for the day!

mandm97

We will not be getting a flight home until 7:00PM on the day of disembarkation in San Juan. What would be your suggestions for the day? We should not have to worry about our luggage as we are hoping to take advantage of RCL's luggage valet program.

Thanks!

Edited by mandm97

Depending on where your ship docks - if it is Pan American Pier you would need to take a taxi to Old San Juan. If it is the other docks, you can get off the ship and walk to Pier 2 and take the trolley at stop #14. It is free and takes you around the town - you can get off and on wherever you like - each enclosed bus comes about every 30 minutes.

There is a 2nd open air trolley that runs also and takes you up top around the fort and it is free also.

You can walk the boardwalk and all the streets but a lot of the streets are cobblestone and uneven so make sure you have on good walking shoes.

San Juan is very safe with police on about every other corner and they are very friendly in giving directions. Enjoy!

We will not be getting a flight home until 7:00PM on the day of disembarkation in San Juan. What would be your suggestions for the day? We should not have to worry about our luggage as we are hoping to take advantage of RCL's luggage valet program.

Thanks!

I am not aware that RCL offers the luggage valet program in San Juan. You might want to double check that.

If you would like to explore OSJ, you can take a taxi to Barrachinas. You will find mention of it on several of the threads on this site (see Barrachina Luggage Storage thread). Leave your luggage there and either take the tourist trolley or do a walking tour. When you pick up your luggage, leave a very nice tip. And try their pina collada (and maybe lunch, too)- they claim to have invented the drink.

Here is a link to a self guided walking tour that has gotten excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. We have printed it out and will be using it on our visit next week: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

If you prefer to just use the free trolley to hop on and off, here is a link to a map and the stops that it does: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

Edited by mom says

Thanks to you both! Great suggestions.... I called RCL and they said yes....they do the have the Luggage Valet program for San Juan. But I will have a backup plan just in case! :)

This is great news! After a bit of hunting on their website (as usual, there was some conflicting info), I was able to find where they said it was now available. Sure makes spending a last day in OSJ easier.

And what time does your flight have to depart to qualify for luggage valet?

I'm not really sure....I tried looking on RCL website but could not find anything regarding what time your flight needs to depart. There is other info on the luggage valet program on the website.

We have used this service on other cruise lines and if I remember correctly your flight had to be after 11:00am.

I read somewhere on the boards several months back that after you leave the cruise ship area at the end of the pier there were some tour companies willing to take you around for a tour and then to the airport for drop-off. I recall it being around $25pp but I can't remember the name of the company or person who was doing these tours. I know it wasn't in anyway part of the cruise ship excursions though. Does anyone out there have any idea of what company or person does these tours/airport drop-off??