Ever Been Fined For Smoking In Your Cabin?

kcwingwalker

When NCL brought this rule out, they were very vocal on why this put this in place. They put it in place because of passenger complaints. They did not state anything about "safety".

I don't smoke and I think it is a good idea discourage people from smoking in bed.

However the wording is quite clear "Smoking inside your stateroom will result in a $250 cleaning charge added to your onboard account."

It is not a fine. It is a cleaning charge to deal with the extra cost of cleaning a room that someone has smoked inside. I have seen the same kind of wording in many hotel room.

Do they have other wording (perhaps on the sign inside the door with the other safety rules that identify the room as a non-smoking area?).

I don't smoke and I think it is a good idea discourage people from smoking in bed.

However the wording is quite clear "Smoking inside your stateroom will result in a $250 cleaning charge added to your onboard account."

It is not a fine. It is a cleaning charge to deal with the extra cost of cleaning a room that someone has smoked inside. I have seen the same kind of wording in many hotel room.

Do they have other wording (perhaps on the sign inside the door with the other safety rules that identify the room as a non-smoking area?).

Speaking of cleaning fees, I would like to know how people get away with this smoking crap in staterooms. We cruised on Carnival Spirit back a few years ago and upon entering our stateroom, we nearly keeled over. The stench of stale tobacco smoke was overwhelming. We opened the stateroom door and the balcony door in an effort to air the place out. We would not even sit on the bed or sofa because everything smelled so bad. Our steward stopped by to greet us and asked if something was wrong. We told him. He told us that the previous cruises in our room were smokers and the staff had replaced the carpet in our cabin that morning. He asked if we minded leaving for a few hours and they would change the bed (entire bed), draperies and wash the walls and ceiling down.

We returned later and things were better, however every single night we could still smell that rancid smoke scent here and there. Oh, did I mention the bathroom vanity had awful cigarette burn marks. Terrible. Even the shower curtain smelled disgustingly of cigarette smoke.

Thank goodness Carnival and many other cruise lines have now changed their policies on smoking in cabins. I have often wondered why smokers were not charged "fines" or other fees for the damage they inflicted on ships before now. Removing beds, carpeting, curtains..etc...and replacing these items must cost quite a bit. Non smokers don't inflict this kind of damage to others property.

I remember that Princess incident, my girlfriend was on that ship! What a terrible nightmare that was.

I wanted to chime in about an issue that I feel very qualified to address. I smoked for 40 years and finally (thank everything) I quit 15 months ago. As a smoker, I genuinely believed that non smokers were exaggerating about the smell of cigarettes and the wafting smoke for a variety of reasons. I now know that I was wrong. As a smoker, you are not physically able to know how strong the smell is or how far the smell carries.

I wanted to chime in about an issue that I feel very qualified to address. I smoked for 40 years and finally (thank everything) I quit 15 months ago. As a smoker, I genuinely believed that non smokers were exaggerating about the smell of cigarettes and the wafting smoke for a variety of reasons. I now know that I was wrong. As a smoker, you are not physically able to know how strong the smell is or how far the smell carries.

So besides insulting a smoker's intelligence, you are adding to this thread how?

You've paid $250 for smoking in your cabin when it wasn't allowed? (original question)

You think it actually takes NCL $250 to clean a room after a smoker has broken the policy?

As I pointed out in my other post. Stewards do it all the time. They wouldn't lose their job over it unless they did not follow up on someone's complaint. All they need to do is turn a blind eye and claim they didn't see anything or smell anything. How could any management prove that you had to have smelled or seen something, impossible.

I am responding to this comment of yours. You are not correct and not able to be. I used to be you. I also didn't think one cigarette smoked in a room had a lingering smell. I also didn't know that when I walked by someone in the mall or grocery store that I reeked of smoke and they knew a smoker had just walked by. I thought a breath mint and a spritz of cologne made a difference. I also thought non smokers made up their adversion to cigarettes because they wanted to be self righteous jerks and invade my privacy (or maybe deep down, I knew better and maybe you do too). And I also had your attitude since the best defense is a good offense. No one wants to smoke, you and I both know this.

As I pointed out in my other post. Stewards do it all the time. They wouldn't lose their job over it unless they did not follow up on someone's complaint. All they need to do is turn a blind eye and claim they didn't see anything or smell anything. How could any management prove that you had to have smelled or seen something, impossible.

I am responding to this comment of yours. You are not correct and not able to be. I used to be you. I also didn't think one cigarette smoked in a room had a lingering smell. I also didn't know that when I walked by someone in the mall or grocery store that I reeked of smoke and they knew a smoker had just walked by. I thought a breath mint and a spritz of cologne made a difference. I also thought non smokers made up their adversion to cigarettes because they wanted to be self righteous jerks and invade my privacy (or maybe deep down, I knew better and maybe you do too). And I also had your attitude since the best defense is a good offense. No one wants to smoke, you and I both know this.

Wow, you seem to know me quite well....NOT!!!! :rolleyes:

I didn't start smoking when I was a baby so therefore I do know the smell prior to being a smoker!

And if you are right that "if you smoke, you could not smell it" then you are actually re-affirming my statement. Since if a room steward actually smoked then they wouldn't be able to smell it and therefore again no proof.

Edited by che5904

No, not reaffirming your statement since your statement was that the steward "turn a blind eye and claim they didn't see or smell anything" as opposed to the steward might honestly have not known because they were also a smoker. The next non smoker in the room will know whether it is an hour later or a couple days later. And of course I know a decent amount about the mindset of a smoker!

This question could have been answered simply, without the vitriol. I just don't understand why people just don't go to the source.

I just spoke with NCL - the $250.00 cleaning fee, if it is to be charged, is assessed ONCE, at the end of the cruise. That is ONE time for the duration of your occupancy of the cabin, whether your cruise is 3 or 30 days. At no time did she say that smoking wasn't allowed inside, just that there would be a fee to do it.

Isn't that just like NCL, an additional fee for everything, but that's another argument.

So, it might make economic sense to do an inside plus 250.00 instead of a balcony.

Think of it as an option, rather than a fee/penalty.

NCL states in their 2014 smoking policy that $250.00 cleaning charge will be added to your account if you smoke in your cabin.

SMOKING

We want you to be comfortable on board, so public areas throughout all our ships are smoke-free. If you smoke cigarettes, you can do so on your balcony ...

Now the question is does anyone know how NCL enforces this policy? ...

I'm curious because recently I read a Jewel or might have been Pearl review and it mentioned that the suite had a fresh flower arrangement with cigarette butts in the water.......that's not nice!

So does anyone know how this works?

Regarding those cigarette butts it is possible the cigarettes were smoked on the balcony (allowed) and then extinguished in that water when the smokers came indoors. Much preferable to throwing the butts overboard, putting them in wastebasket where fire might start, or flushing them in toilet. Since no smoking is allowed in cabins there are no ashtrays.

I don't smoke but I can understand the dilemma of what to do with cigarettes smoked on balcony.

.they're making it seem as though it will cost them 250 to clean the room..not so at all. That's a lie. These canisters are about 13 dollars a piece. Not cheap, I grant, but the fine is not justified by any means....it's insulting to my intelligence.

The $250 is not the cost of cleaning the room. It is a fine for disregarding the No Smoking rule. If the cruise line only charged $20 or $25 that would not be a deterrent to most smokers. But they'll think twice if the fine is $250.

The fine is $250 not to make up the cost of cleaning it is to deter people from smoking. As a non smoker, I think it is rude and self centered for someone to think it is ok to smoke in a room that someone else will have to be in later. I hope that NCL always enforces this rule.

Regarding those cigarette butts it is possible the cigarettes were smoked on the balcony (allowed) and then extinguished in that water when the smokers came indoors. Much preferable to throwing the butts overboard, putting them in wastebasket where fire might start, or flushing them in toilet. Since no smoking is allowed in cabins there are no ashtrays.

I don't smoke but I can understand the dilemma of what to do with cigarettes smoked on balcony.

They provide ashtrays to use on the balcony. From the experience of my last cruise, they don't automatically have them there anymore (which IMO is really dumb) since they have no odor even if not used). But the room steward is more than happy to provide one for your balcony. They are safety ashtrays complete with a top that has small opening so cigarette butts or ashes cannot fly around. We always request 2, since these fill up very quickly and there is no place to empty them safely.

As for the comment about the butts being in the water of the fresh flowers. As I told the OP, I never read the review but it appears that the suite guest that had the fresh flowers in the cabin was complaining about butts being in the water. Now since these were "fresh" flowers that would require "fresh" water just before the suite guest showed up and since these were in a private cabin, who to heck did the reviewer think put them there. Hmmm I wonder if the reviewer had a teenager? Have a smoke on the balcony before Mommy and Daddy return, hide the butts in with the fresh flowers, don't get caught. Sounds pretty teenish to me.

The $250 is not the cost of cleaning the room. It is a fine for disregarding the No Smoking rule. If the cruise line only charged $20 or $25 that would not be a deterrent to most smokers. But they'll think twice if the fine is $250.

I think that poster and I agree completely with what you are saying. What we disagree with is NCL calling it a "cleaning fee". Call it what it is a "fine" for breaking the rule.

But they won't do that because they don't levy a fine for any other broken policy. So they want it to sound like they have an alternate reason for being the heavy on this one.

I don't have an issue with having consequences for breaking policy, I just have an issue with being patronized (calling it a cleaning fee, when it's not). And if they are going to come down on one policy breaker, come down on all. They can even make the "fines" match the crime, I don't care, just don't be unfair to one group only and then lie about it.

The fine is $250 not to make up the cost of cleaning it is to deter people from smoking. As a non smoker, I think it is rude and self centered for someone to think it is ok to smoke in a room that someone else will have to be in later. I hope that NCL always enforces this rule.

It's really hard to say that they do, don't, have or haven't enforced this, since in the 2 years that this has been in effect. I've never heard of anyone admitting to breaking it. But that could just be because these threads get messy and if anyone breaks other policies they get patted on the back.

We were on Spirit for the New Year cruise, in a balcony cabin on Deck 10. We suffered a strong cigar smell in our cabin when we turned the heating up. Having read the in-room info pack and seen the 250$ charge if they have to clean the room due to smoke smell, we contacted guest services straight away.

We do not smoke and my husband has asthma and recirculating cigar smoke doesn't help. Their reply was that they would look in to it but rest assured, whatever they found we would not be charged!!!!!

No-one came to check our cabin, despite contacting guest services the next day when it occurred again. Same reply was received.

Our only guess is that perhaps the filters in the air-con/heating unit needed changing but because the ship was having a re-fit in a few weeks time, they didn't want to do anything because it would cost money. Either way - they did nothing so perhaps the 250$ charge is just a frightener.

Its a tough rule to enforce when its a balcony stateroom .. The fact you had cigar smell in the ventilation says someone was being naughty and I hope they checked a few of the cabins. But lets say a heavy smoker is on their balcony with the slider open ? It sure will smell in the cabin. So Im going to say , unless there is overwhelming evidence NCL will most likely deliver a few warnings and then go from there.. Perhaps one day we will hear from someone that was caught .. ;)

Its a tough rule to enforce when its a balcony stateroom .. The fact you had cigar smell in the ventilation says someone was being naughty and I hope they checked a few of the cabins. But lets say a heavy smoker is on their balcony with the slider open ? It sure will smell in the cabin. So Im going to say , unless there is overwhelming evidence NCL will most likely deliver a few warnings and then go from there.. Perhaps one day we will hear from someone that was caught .. ;)

Durhhhh. The fact we had turned the heating up meant that the 'slider' door to our balcony was closed. You would have to be pretty dumb to turn up heating and leave the balcony slider open. But perhaps with a balanced view - 50% of people are clever and 50% are dumb.

We very much doubt they would have sent anybody to check on neighbouring cabins without incurring the wrath of the occupants. So perhaps it is a fact of life that crew don't need hassle and therefore won't bother investigating reports that cigar smoke has permeated a cabin. Either way - we suffered cigar smoke and nobody could give a damn.

I was referring to the smokers slider ya whozit ..:rolleyes:

Point : You cant police the policy when a smoker has their slider open ..

They can smoke in the cabin and when questioned , just claim they where outside.....WITH THE SLIDER OPEN :eek:

Yeah I've often thought that too. Now our last cruise (NCL & carnival) were darn cold on the balconies, so there is no way our cabin door would have even been open a crack. But I would think that, those balconies aren't very big so if that door was open at all, even for another person to walk in or out while the other is smoking would have the smoke go in the cabin.

The point that seems to have got lost is that we could smell cigar smoke in our cabin with our balcony slider shut.

I don't mind if the people in the cabin next door smoke Turkish or French smelly cigarettes or the most expensive Havana cigar. It should not recirculate into our cabin through the aircon system.

The fact that NCL could have charged us 250$ because an employee might have smelt cigar smoke in our cabin was the main point. Do you think this it is unreasonable to ask them to have checked our cabin?

The point that seems to have got lost is that we could smell cigar smoke in our cabin with our balcony slider shut.

I don't mind if the people in the cabin next door smoke Turkish or French smelly cigarettes or the most expensive Havana cigar. It should not recirculate into our cabin through the aircon system.

The fact that NCL could have charged us 250$ because an employee might have smelt cigar smoke in our cabin was the main point. Do you think this it is unreasonable to ask them to have checked our cabin?

OK since to my knowledge that aircon system is not shared among 2 cabins only, it could have been coming from anywhere, couldn't it. Heck it may have even been coming from the cigar bar or in a cigar allowed area near an intake for the aircon, couldn't it?

If they had no intention on charging you the $250, then there was no real reason to come check your cabin. And unless you were in your cabin 24/7, they may have very well came in with your room steward when he/she did your cabin morning or evening sniffed and left, or even had the room steward report to them.

You would think the risk of death caused by a fire at sea by a careless cabin smoker would be enough of a deterrent to encourage smokers to stick to the rules and stay on the balcony for their smoke! But apparently not so. IMO the $250 fine is meant as a deterrent only, not as a mere cleaning fee to remove a smell.

The fine is totally justified IMO.

Please, how many cabin fires have been caused by careless smokers? The new smoking policy is only a means of pacifying all of the non smokers. I have never been shown to a cabin that smelled of the previous occupants smoke. That said I hate cigarette smoke so have always asked DW to smoke outside.

Please, how many cabin fires have been caused by careless smokers? .

None that I know of and the only ship one that has been investigated as "possibly" caused by a cigarette has been on a balcony. Far more ship fire have been linked to engine fires. hmmm hard to take a cruise without an engine.