Tampa hotels?

phillychick

Hi everyone. I'm sailing on the Vision of the Seas out of Tampa. Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay prior to the cruise and has a shuttle to/from airport and/or to/from cruise terminal???

Thanks.

Edited by phillychick

We have always stayed at the Quality Inn on Mabry Street. For us it works ouy great. Free airport pickup,$8 per person to port,breakfast included,Publix,restaurants, convient stores nearby ,friendly staff and great customer service. This hotel will suit your needs for a pre cruise stay if you are just looking for the basics.

We have used the cruise pkg at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point twice and were very happy. The hotel overlooks the Bay, has a nice pool area and is 5 min from the airport and a 15 min shuttle ride to the port. The hotel offers a free airport shuttle and the cruise pkg incl, room, hot breakfast and shuttle to/from the port also for those driving in- parking for the duration. The hotel is directly next to the Bahama Breeze Restaurant. http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/tampa/tpaap/hoteldetail

The Hampton Rocky Point and Chase Suites Rocky Point are neighboring hotels and seem to offer the same type pkg, just make sure that the port shuttle is round trip. Some of them are not.

Also here is a link with a few more cruise pkg Tampa hotels. For the airport shuttle, the Westshore and Rocky Point area seem to offer this perk the most.

http://www.parkingstay.com/p/tampa.html

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

We have always stayed at the Quality Inn on Mabry Street. For us it works ouy great. Free airport pickup,$8 per person to port,breakfast included,Publix,restaurants, convient stores nearby ,friendly staff and great customer service. This hotel will suit your needs for a pre cruise stay if you are just looking for the basics.

Hi, I am taken advantage of the information that you provided - I am planning a december cruise on the Vision as well and will need a hotel for one night precruise ...... how far from the hotel are the restaurants and Publix ? is it walking distance ? 10 / 15 minutes or more ? how is the area around the hotel ?

is it reasonably safe to walk after dark ( gets dark early in dec.) to the restaurant or the store ? What restaurants were there ?

Is it better to use the shuttle at 8 dol p/p to go from the Quality Inn to the port or in case of 4 people, would a taxi van be a better option ...... I am guessing the shuttle has some sort of a schedule ...... a taxi probably will cost the same but it will show up, when it is called.

What did you use after the cruise - taxi, shuttle or cruise transfer to get back to the airport ?

Is there room in a taxi van for 4 people with their luggage ( probably 4 carry on and two larger bags ) ? What is the cost ?

Thanks for any answers that you might provide - probably the OP has the same questions.

Edited by wieslaw

Publix,restaurants,and stores are no more than a 2 minute walk.The area is safe to walk, always be street smart any where you go today.Publix is across the street towards your left from the hotel.We walked to the catholic church to attend mass on Saturday before our cruise and thats about a half mile. I believe the taxi rate is $25 plus tip hotel to ship,but for four people it might be more. The shuttle service is really good,the driver is usually David.Trip advisor also gives good reviews.Going from ship to airport is $25. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. There is everything that I/we need, so will book the hotel. The church is a nice bonus. ..... we did pretty much the same thing ( as you did ) in Cocoa Beach (dec FOS cruise ) : the Publix, the catholic church, the restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking of taking Amtrak to Tampa the day before a cruise. Are there any decent but inexpensive hotels near the train station?

How far from the station are the hotels discussed here?

Thanx for your help.

The Tampa Amtrack station is located apx 2 miles from the Port of Tampa in the Western edge of the Ybor City area.

Your best bet would be to find an Ybor City hotel that offers a port shuttle. You would be only 2 miles away so even without a shuttle, a taxi would only be a few $.

The hotels discussed above are not really near Amtrack and you may be spending more on a Taxi to justify any savings.

Try the Hampton Ybor City. It has been mentioned on these boards as a very decent hotel.

Also, here is a list of Downtown Tampa hotels. Just to give you an idea, the closest hotel to the port is the Tampa Marriott Waterside. If you find the Ybor City hotels in the map, you will be in the general location of the Amtrack station.

http://www.downtowntampahotels.com/

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

The Tampa Amtrack station is located apx 2 miles from the Port of Tampa in the Western edge of the Ybor City area.

Your best bet would be to find an Ybor City hotel that offers a port shuttle. You would be only 2 miles away so even without a shuttle, a taxi would only be a few $.

The hotels discussed above are not really near Amtrack and you may be spending more on a Taxi to justify any savings.

Try the Hampton Ybor City. It has been mentioned on these boards as a very decent hotel.

Also, here is a list of Downtown Tampa hotels. Just to give you an idea, the closest hotel to the port is the Tampa Marriott Waterside. If you find the Ybor City hotels in the map, you will be in the general location of the Amtrack station.

http://www.downtowntampahotels.com/

Good info. Thanks.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Another question: I want to use my Hilton Honor points and was looking to stay at an Embassy Suites - does anyone know which is better Downtown or Airport??

The Airport location - Embassy Westshore, will be within walking distance of shopping and restaurants.

The Downtown location is closer to the port. You will find restaurants within walking distance and the hotel is near the Trolley-line but you would need to take a taxi if you desire a visit to a store for last minute items such as soda, water etc....

You may find that the rates are a tad better at the Westshore location.

If you want to be close to the port, than go for the downtown Embassy.

It's just a matter of what your priorities are as far as the location.

We have used the cruise pkg at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point twice and were very happy. The hotel overlooks the Bay, has a nice pool area and is 5 min from the airport and a 15 min shuttle ride to the port. The hotel offers a free airport shuttle and the cruise pkg incl, room, hot breakfast and shuttle to/from the port also for those driving in- parking for the duration. The hotel is directly next to the Bahama Breeze Restaurant. http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/tampa/tpaap/hoteldetail

The Hampton Rocky Point and Chase Suites Rocky Point are neighboring hotels and seem to offer the same type pkg, just make sure that the port shuttle is round trip. Some of them are not.

Also here is a link with a few more cruise pkg Tampa hotels. For the airport shuttle, the Westshore and Rocky Point area seem to offer this perk the most.

http://www.parkingstay.com/p/tampa.html

We used this location also, and thought it was great, Bahama Breeze gets a heck of a line, so if you want to eat there get there early, also if you register on line with them, they send coupons which they honor. I am sailing out of Tampa again, and will probably book this hotel, because when I check out the Hampton, they will get you there, (to the port) but do not provide return shuttle.?? makes no sense.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites near the port, loved it. We could grab the trolley to go to Ybor City and eat. We walked to the Publix to get a few items (we took back packs to carry it back in), great breakfast and we had a view of the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We stayed at the Embassy Suites near the port, loved it. We could grab the trolley to go to Ybor City and eat. We walked to the Publix to get a few items (we took back packs to carry it back in), great breakfast and we had a view of the port.

Could you please let me know the name of this particular embassy hotel. I looked and there are 3. I don't know Tampa very well so I'm unsure which one to book.

Thanks

Dee

Could you please let me know the name of this particular embassy hotel. I looked and there are 3. I don't know Tampa very well so I'm unsure which one to book.

Thanks

Dee

It was the Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown Convention Center. We walked next to the street that goes through the convention center to get to Publix.

Also the trolley station is right out front of the hotel.

Edited by Whoop98

It was the Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown Convention Center. We walked next to the street that goes through the convention center to get to Publix.

Also the trolley station is right out front of the hotel.

You helped me so much, I cannot thank you enough! This one was too high priced so close to the date that we cruise, so I booked the Marriott downtown and get wifi and a free ride to the port. I knew exactly where to look since you provided the info about which Embassy it was.

Thanks so much!!!!

Dee

• 2 weeks later...

Since the search feature is not working on CC, can I ask a question? I booked a pre-cruise stay at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Tampa Airport North.

Is there anything within walking distance to purchase soda/wine at?

Thanks in advance.

Gina