Safe to Cab

notthatpaulyd

Sailing to St Thomas via NCL Getaway in May and was wondering if it is safe to take a cab to Magen's Bay Beach from the port or is it smarter to go through an NCL tour? I don't mind paying $39 for the tour, but I feel like 2 hours at the beach is so short when we will be at the port for 8 hours. And I guess equally as important, is it easy/safe to get a can back to port?

Thanks for the help!

Sailing to St Thomas via NCL Getaway in May and was wondering if it is safe to take a cab to Magen's Bay Beach from the port or is it smarter to go through an NCL tour? I don't mind paying $39 for the tour, but I feel like 2 hours at the beach is so short when we will be at the port for 8 hours. And I guess equally as important, is it easy/safe to get a can back to port?

Thanks for the help!

It is very safe to take a taxi, just as always make sure you have the price set before you leave. It is very easy to catch a taxi back too, there will be tons of them. No need to make a set time for him to pick you up on the way back.

It is very safe to take a taxi, just as always make sure you have the price set before you leave. It is very easy to catch a taxi back too, there will be tons of them. No need to make a set time for him to pick you up on the way back.

Great thanks!

Any idea how much a taxi would cost?

I can't really remember, I think a group of 8 of us paid $8 pp to go to Coki then the same back. So I would guess it would be about that.

We have taken the open taxi several times to Megans, the prices are posted at port and there is always a line of them for the return trip back. Safe....yes but hold on during the trip as you go over some very hilly spots...enjoy your time at Megans, it is rated as one of the prettiest beaches in the world!

We have taken the open taxi several times to Megans, the prices are posted at port and there is always a line of them for the return trip back. Safe....yes but hold on during the trip as you go over some very hilly spots...enjoy your time at Megans, it is rated as one of the prettiest beaches in the world!

If you catch those same "open taxis" away from the port, they are $1.00 anywhere you want to go. They take a figure 8 route around the island, and that's the price they charge locals. When we have stayed on the island, that was our means of transportation. Say, "One dollar?" to the driver before you get on, and that will be your rate. Just don't look like you just got off a cruise ship or you will be charged the tourist rates, which are the posted ones.

We've ridden cabs around St. Thomas for about 40 years now and never had a problem. Use the same common sense you would anywhere in the world. Be aware of your surroundings, don't wave a wad of money and leave expensive jewelry on the ship. :)

Have fun. We've never once felt even a tiny bit threatened in St. Thomas NOT to say there is no crime there. There is crime everywhere.