Not yo mama's cruise?

ME Guide

Ruh roh….think we are going to change our cruise. Happy that we recently booked another cruise so... Started a roll call on Cruise Critic for an Equinox Ultimate Caribbean Cruise for March 27 to April 6, 2015 and nobody has joined. I thought it odd that the roll call remained at (0) hits. Hmmmm????:confused:

Decided to google the cruise date and found that it is a THEME cruise. :eek:Entertainment and Travel Alternative Motorcycle Cruise! EEK! Spaces for them and their bikes are sold out. WOW! We have nothing against motorcycle groups but…well might be a different cruise experience? Not sure if we would fit in or feel comfortable with this "theme cruise" group? Wonder how many are going?

We are two retired school teachers (elite level)and think we may feel a bit uncomfortable on this cruise. Guess we are going to call Captains Club or our TA for suggestions on a different cruise. Sad…we had one of the larger aft cabins…oh well. We will work on that today and try to get more information.

Actually did the exact cruise last year on Equinox in early February with a group of "bikers". I believe about 25-30 bikes.

Not a problem, ever!! Their bikes were stored on deck two and the bikes were usually lined up on the dock prior to general disembarkation. It did seem that the "bikers" had priority in disembarking, but I could be wrong. In the evenings they would ride up to the ship and have the bikes on board well before departure.

Saw the "bikers" throughout the cruise at various venues and never saw any type of problem.

I would go on any cruise with these folks.

Just found more information and the group has about 90 folks and 35 bikes for ETA. Well, that's making me feel a bit better. I thought the group might be much larger and that we would be in the minority.

Think we will be all set.

I wouldn't count 90 people as a group, or at least a group worth worrying about for ship space. Agree you will be fine.

Btw I'm elite on x (soon to be elite +") and elite with delta and marriott. Just wanted to brag.

Hello Fellow Mainah!

Brrrrr, it IS cold.

As the previous poster ^^^^ said, I'm on one of these cruises in a couple of months and from what I've read (and saw from one of my ships when they were loading onto a different ship) I don't think it will be a big deal at all, but feel free to ask again in late Apri right here and I'll let you know what we thought.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Ps I'm a registered Maine guide too!

We also cruised Equinox last February with a group of Canadian bikers. They were no issue at all. I enjoyed seeing their beautiful bikes as they rode off in port every day. The Captain even rode with them one day. It's a huge expense for them in each port. I enjoyed talking with some of them, particularly one young man who had never been out of Canada and was taking time after the cruise to visit Disney.

Glad you decided to stay on the cruise. Enjoy!

Thank you so much for all of the great suggestions.

DH just got off the phone with Captains Club hostess and 78 are registered for this particular cruise. By no means is this a chartered large group of people.

We have decided to stay with our plans and look forward to sailing on the Equinox. I am sure there will be many great people on board!

For those of you who are watching the east coast blizzard, send us WARM thoughts! YIKES!

Enjoy your cruise and please come back to us and let us know how everything worked out!:):)

We were on a cruise on one of the S class ships (don't recall which) on which there was some type of motorcycle group. There was no issue at all. It was kinda fun to see them all rumbling off the pier in the mornings. Honestly onboard I never knew who belonged to this group or not. In fairness and as a response to some people who seemed very offended that anyone would not want to ride with a motorcycle group, let's be honest - there are more than one types of groups who ride motorcycles. This particular type is just regular folks who happen to like riding motorcycles. In fact, as mentioned, some of them are not just middle class folks, but upper class (not judging - just using common terminology). But we all know also that there are other types of motorcycle groups that I would not want to be around, whether on the ship or elsewhere. If one is not familiar with the various groups it is a fair question to ask.

Hi Everyone,

Wow…can't believe how long this thread has become! I just love Cruise Critic and all the information that is shared!

We do not have anything against bikers. We were concerned that this was a chartered cruise OF bikers.

I want to thank everyone for their advice and words of wisdom. As I mentioned in a previous post, we discovered that this was not a chartered cruise of bikers with related entertainment that was "not our style".

For a couple of posters who seemed to feel concerned that I mentioned my X status I did so only to indicate we were not first time cruisers on X and for that reason only. Let me be frank, it could be any large group or chartered cruise that might take a way from my experience and that is a personal thing. An example would be that I love music, play several instruments but would not chose a Country Western Cruise. My folks LOVED their theme cruise.

This group is relatively small and certainly will not impact our days on Equinox. I remember reading about the large American Doll group who had lots of little girls and parents monopolizing areas. This is just an example of an large group that might make cruising a different experience for us. I have nothing against AD.

We love cruising and love people. One of the reason we love Celebrity is because we enjoy the ship MORE than even getting OFF the ship! Each ship has it's own characteristics and that is what we enjoy.

Groupsahoy.com and themecruisefinder.com are other sites one can use to look for chartered or theme cruises.

We look forward to our first "experiences" on Equinox and certainly will report back about them.

Happy Cruising to all.

Hi Jenna! If you are ever in Caratunk in the summer, stop in for a visit!

Amy, thanks for all the super info!