How to upgrade cabin after booking?

lotstolearn

My DW and I are newbies and have already made several mistakes in booking our first cruise. First mistake was booking a cruise through one of the large on-line cruise agencies rather than with a local travel agent. Second mistake was not looking carefully at all the little symbols next to the cabin numbers on the deck plans. We booked a VH guarantee on a 14 day collector's cruise to the Eastern and Western Caribbean beginning Feb 16 on Nieuw Amsterdam. Upon further study of the deck plans, we see that the four VH cabins are forward on deck 4 and have a steel railing. After reading about steel railings, the DW has informed me that she would strongly prefer a balcony with a plexiglass railing. Even assuming that we don't get one of the four VH cabins (I'm assuming they've sold far more than 4 cabins at the VH price), there is still a risk of getting one of the 36 VF cabins forward on deck 4 which also have steel railings.

I believe we would be satisfied with one of the VD cabins on deck 4 since they have plexiglass railings. When we booked, the VD cabins were only $80 pp more than the VH. However, it appears that all balcony cabins on our cruise have now been sold out. I could of course wait around to see if we get a free upgrade, or an attractive upsell offer, but not sure we want to handle the uncertainty that we could get stuck with a steel railing.

Any suggestions on how best to insure that we get into a cabin with a plexiglass railing?

The Golden Rule is that if you call, you will pay full rack rate or close. If HAL calls, you will get a better deal.

As you noted, there are a very small number of VHs. Your chances of not being in the VH is probably far better than ending up in a VH, but that is not predictable.

Talk to your online TA. See what they can work out for you. If it is not acceptable, don't take it, learn from your issues, and hope for the best.

I'm afraid that if you are correct that all of the Verandas have been sold out, and you don't want to pay to upgrade all the way to a suite, there's not much you can do except wait and hope. Your TA might be able to put you on a wait list for an upsell, though.

Edited by jtl513

Rather than being sold out they are probably assigning Guarantees at this time so you should call your TA and talk to them. They can call HAL and see what is available. You will probably be upgraded anyway but may not get the plexiglass railing unless you speak up. If you made the reservation through a TA you need to make any changes through that TA.

We actually like the VF cabins with the steel railing. Much more privacy when in port, and my experience is that with the plexi railing they're covered with salt after the first couple of days so you don't get a clear view through them anyway.

My DW and I are newbies and have already made several mistakes in booking our first cruise.

The answer to your question is in your first line. Nothing is ever a mistake if you learn something from it.

There is a very good chance one will not book exactly what fits one's cruising style on the very first cruise, or even the first few, but you have made, IMHO, a very good choice. The only way to find out what fits you is to cruise.

I don't recommend that you spend a single dime on what I like. Take the time to find what you like. The only thing I recommend you do is make sure that your booking is marked to show that you are open to an upgrade.

The Golden Rule is that if you call, you will pay full rack rate or close. If HAL calls, you will get a better deal.

As you noted, there are a very small number of VHs. Your chances of not being in the VH is probably far better than ending up in a VH, but that is not predictable.

Talk to your online TA. See what they can work out for you. If it is not acceptable, don't take it, learn from your issues, and hope for the best.

Not true!! We booked an SZ gty on W-dam and two weeks out I called and asked if there were any upsells available? We got an SA for a total of $500. At one point the SZ's were going for the same price as SA's. By waiting we saved hundreds.

To the OP - please call your TA and ASK! It costs nothing.