Can I take a volleyball net onto the ship?

icecone

I have arranged through a friend to visit a local school when we visit Nassau to donate some items that are needed. They would really like a volleyball net and balls. Do you think either would be confiscated? I would really like to make their simple wish come true -- just trying to figure out the logistics! I did call Carnival and the rep told me it would be ok, but she isn't the one searching the luggage and I would hate to show up empty handed. I was also thinking carry-on instead of checked so I could explain. We leave this Sunday and are driving to the port. I would love any thoughts! Thank you.

I have arranged through a friend to visit a local school when we visit Nassau to donate some items that are needed. They would really like a volleyball net and balls. Do you think either would be confiscated? I would really like to make their simple wish come true -- just trying to figure out the logistics! I did call Carnival and the rep told me it would be ok, but she isn't the one searching the luggage and I would hate to show up empty handed. I was also thinking carry-on instead of checked so I could explain. We leave this Sunday and are driving to the port. I would love any thoughts! Thank you.

You might want to include more details. Are you talking about just the net? Will the net actually fit the mounts the school already has? Or are you talking about the whole volleyball net with stands? What about the balls? Are they deflated and packaged? Are you talking about a case? Why would it be packed in luggage and not a box? Heavy duty equipment and nets are not light weight. My guess is you should have it in a box, hand it to a porter to load and deliver to your room.

if its just the net, put in in your luggage and send it through. They are scanning for contraband like electronics and booze...much of which makes it though anyway.

I would forsee no problems with taking net or balls assuming it can go in standard size packaging and isn't over the rather standard 50 pounds. I wouldn't want to carry it on and end up waiting with it.

I had read recently (on CC) about a family that took a beach tent on - security kept the tent, but the poles went through. I am guessing it will just depend on who is working.

I doubt if this is true. I can not imagine circumstances where it would be confiscated.

I see no reason for them to confiscate a volley ball net if it is still wrapped up. If they do i would simple explain why you have it and what you intend to do with it. Once they understand you don't plan on setting up a court in the lobby then they will most likely return it to you. Or you could at least asl them to return it on that port's day so you can take it ashore.